Report: Russia to Sell Arms to Iran, Venezuela

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
Russia turned up its nose at the United States Thursday by announcing plans to sell military equipment to both Iran and Venezuela.
The head of the state arms exporter said Russia was negotiating to sell new anti-aircraft systems to Iran despite American objections.
"Contacts between our countries are continuing and we do not see any reason to suspend them," Anatoly Isaikin, general director of Rosoboronexport, told Russian news agency Ria-Novosti at an arms fair in South Africa.
Reports have circulated for some time that Russia is preparing to sell its S-300 surface-to-air missile system to Iran, offering greater protection against a possible U.S. or Israeli attack on the Islamic republic's nuclear facilities. The missiles have a range of more than 93 miles and can intercept jets approaching at low altitudes.
Russia has already delivered 29 Tor-M1 missile systems under a $700 million deal with Iran in 2005.
Sergei Chemezov, the head of state-owned Russian Technologies also disclosed that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez wanted to buy anti-aircraft systems, armored personnel carriers, and new SU-35 fighter jets when they come into production in 2010.
The U.S. plans to place an anti-missile shield in eastern Europe to deter surprise attacks from Iran have outraged Russia, which believes the system in Poland and the Czech Republic is aimed at weakening its defenses.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424621,00.html

Last edited:
I stand by the Russians; They were and are a great nation, and America shouldn't dictate to the Russians what they can and can't do.

I don't think that the US should dictate who Russia sells arms to, but it IS quite disturbing that they would sell arms to a nation known to produce and train terrorists. Sounds to me like Russia is trying to fight the US through Iran. I think Russia will try to illicit a war between Iran and the US. This would further hurt the US economy, and make it difficult for the US to defend it's self against attack from Russia.

Yes, the US ought to dictate who the Russians don't sell arms to. To say otherwise, I've got to think those that say that are anti-American. Which of course is fine too, as I know who the targets are.

I don't think that the US should dictate who Russia sells arms to, but it IS quite disturbing that they would sell arms to a nation known to produce and train terrorists. Sounds to me like Russia is trying to fight the US through Iran. I think Russia will try to illicit a war between Iran and the US. This would further hurt the US economy, and make it difficult for the US to defend it's self against attack from Russia.

Hell I am surprised Russia isn't supplying the Taliban directly to get back at the US for supplying the mujaheddin during there stay there.

In the end its just about money and for the most part if the Russians didn't sell to them then the USA, China, Israel would.

to whomever said the americans should dictate whom the russians can and can't sell to:

Who gave the right to the americans to tell a country atleast 4000 years older than itself what it can do?

Remember, America is a fairly new country, and these more established countries would take offense to this.

Also, Russia may be funding the Taliban, as look at how america's recent actions appear to the russians? See it from both sides my friend.

And finally;

Money talks. Iran has money and is willing to buy. Is america buying from the russians? no. Then sell to those who buy.

I'm surprised your an Englander, tough talk from a kid who has only kid experience. Perhaps when Russia is knocking on your door and your country asks for America's assistance in dealing with the Russians, perhaps then, you will understand the err of your thoughts/words/posts/ways/etc. Think and say what you want now, in time, I assume you will be educated.

America is not capable of dictating who Russia sells weapons to. It is quite annoying when they sell them to our enemies. But we've done the same to them, and others.

I don't know why they make such a fuss about that missile shield - they'd still have more than enough to annihilate us if it came to MAD.

It's partly the way America seems to be saying "we don't trust you, we're going to make sure". Perhaps if the American army hadn't made the missile shield, the Russians may have seen fit to stop selling arms to Iran.

And Aiki, I stand for Free speech and Liberty. Big words from a kid, but don't say i've only had Kid experience. The Russians have the Free Speech and Liberty to say what the F*ck they want in the political spectrum and sell arms to whoever they want. America wants to change that, to stop liberty, something they seem so obsessed with taking to every man and his dog? Come on mate.

Back