Report: Dozens dead in Syrian chemical weapons experiment

Rock45,

I appreciate your position. When I say that oil is the underlying reason, I do not mean to imply that the coalition wished to over run Iraq and take control of (steal) their oil, but only to make it stable enough that we can be reasonably assured of a safe future oil supply. Unfortunately we used a ruse to go in and stabilise the place which has since been uncovered, leading to an enormous loss of confidence from the public.

This has strengthened the case of those who were against the invasion in the first place and undermined the argument of all those who wanted the invasion for whatever reason, be it to get rid of Saddam, or that they believed the WMD story.

Whatever,... it leaves us with egg on our faces again, only highlighted by the fact that we are now caught up in an essentially internal brawl that we neither wanted nor planned for.

That issue with a post-war Iraq is something so complicated that I think even the military itself would have had some serious issues with it... though I have to agree that you probably couldn't do any worse than the State Department did.
This is the thing with trying to maintain a multi-faction state that was held only under the watchful eyes (and torture) of a brutal dictator. You're not dealing with a nation-state here (a country which is chiefly one ethnic group).
Complicated stuff and they did not think it through.
Disbanding the Iraqi Army after the invasion was just about the worst thing they could have ever done. Now they had no Army big enough to control the country and they had a bunch of trained killers without jobs. Outstanding.

Yep,... Someone made the oldest mistake in the book. They under estimated their opponent.... Badly.

With our past knowledge of Middle Eastern mindset and history, this is absolutely unforgivable. The NeoCons were just too eager to make themselves into "The Saviours of Western Democracy" and it has backfired. Now it is the cream of the USA's youth who are paying the price.

Because you asked the question.

What exactly do you think all of this is about, International goodwill? Why have we not gone in on other countries with WMD, like North Korea etc?

Well North Korea is kind of a different kettle of fish. If they even think the US is going to launch on them they are going to smoke the ROK and probably Japan and possibly any other US allies they can range.

Jaysus. What are the other networks saying?
And yes, 03 is right, North Korea is holding South Korea hostage. An opening of hostilities with North Korea means automatically you'll have hundreds and thousands of dead South Korean civilians in the opening days of the war. That's just the first few days. And that's assuming they won't go nuclear or throw biological or chemical stuff. That is a totally different ball game.
Now this thing with Syria... damn.

Heck, maybe they got these from Iraq. Who knows?
I doubt it but it really looks like Iraq was the only clean country!

Yeah. Some thinks that the chemical weapons and stuff that couldn't be found in Iraq were transported to Syria before the operation began. But who knows... Conspiracies again...:roll:

Back