Renown and Repulse against Prinz Eugen

NASAAN101

Guys,
If Renown and Repulse went up against PE, could they handle her, and get a tow line on her to keep her from helping her brother Bismarck in his last fight against KGV, Rondey, Norfolk and Dorsetshire?

I guess what i was trying to ask is could they hold on to her with the towlines til, bismarck got sank, then when KGV and Rondey, when back to scapa flow, the four of them take her back with them, but if they able to get a prize crew on board, they dont have to two her, but say in a net around her, so she can run for freedom, that what i ment ok..

What i mean by getting in a net around her with KGV, Rodney,behind her and Renown, her sister on each side of PE! if she gets in to a wiggle and squimming mood, how do they handle her or is she dogmeat?
Nikki

The PE like all the German ships were rigged for self destruction, now i can't see that these charges would not have been set off by some officer or other.

Guys,
Not if they were able to get a prize crew on board, fast enoght tlo over take by force.. they while the boarding crew got her crew in the hold, get Her CO Helmuth brinkmannn and his men on the brigde under watch, the bring Renown and repulse on eighter side of her, and get the towline on her then let just her engine room crew get the engine started at half spped, so that can tow her at a faster speed... that way she cant help, her brother, Bismarck..
Nikki

Ok this "Prize crew" thing is getting a bit silly.

The Prinz Eugen carried between 850-1600 crew what were they going to be doing while the British were getting a "prize crew" on board?

I am guessing they would be manning every weapon on that ship and firing some really big shells at the opposition, now I don't know about you but if I was in charge of the ether the Repulse or the Prince of Wales the last thing I would be thinking about is getting close enough to capture a capital ship while it was shooting at me.

Further to this I think if I was a crewman on either of these ships and my captain was entertaining the idea that he was just going to ignore the incoming fire and go sailing up to the PE he would be strapped to the next outgoing round.

WW2 was fought between 1939 and 1945 not 1739-1745 by heavily armed ships and well trained men, the days of sailing up to the opposition throwing a few grappling hooks over the side and swinging onto the oppositions deck with a cutlass in your teeth were well over.

The PE may have been a good ship but the German crew would have set off the timers on the scuttling charges. Also why have a blood bath trying to take a ship that is likely to blow up at any time. What they would do is to sink the dam thing and it is one less thing to worry about. Now there could be U Boats lurking in the area and and RN ships trying tow a prize would be sitting targets, let alone if you were in range of German planes.

Back