Remembering the Lancaster Bomber (video)

Doering

As a tribute to the aircrews who flew the AVRO Lancaster bomber in WWII, enjoy this video of original pictures and film segments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a shame that only two examples are airworthy, one in Canada and one in UK.
In my opinion the best heavy bomber operated by RAF, RAAF, RNAF and RCAF crews.

A distant relative (second cousin I believe) flew as rear gunner on Lanc's, he was shot down over Germany and buried somewhere with his crew in or near the Blackforest.

The oldest son of Winston Churchill's body guard Inspector Walter Thompson was killed while flying as aircrew on Lancs. He had completed his tour of ops then volunteered to carry out one more, that's when he was shot down and killed. Walter Thompson was understandably devastated who never got over his sons death.

Last edited:
Nice clip from a great plane from a daring raid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1OuyIe0pig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1OuyIe0pig[/ame]

The Dambusters, a film worth seeing.

Bugger, she had her bomb doors open. I wouldn't mind betting that made a few people nervous.

I was driving the Station Commander and his missus to a function at another RAF station. As I approached the main gate the very same BBMF Lancaster flew across the main road with flaps and wheels down on her final approach. What a wonderful sight.

A few years ago she was nearly written off, she touched her main wheels then veered to port off of the runway. Thankfully she stopped before she was damaged. On inspection it showed the port landing gear axle had failed causing her to veer off. She was AOG'd until a replacement could be found.

"The City of Lincoln" is a national treasure and nothing must be spared to keep her in the air.

Last edited:
Years ago in UK was a weekly TV series called "Pathfinders," about a fictional Lancaster pathfinder squadron. Its a pity TV companies don't bring those old series back.

Years ago in UK was a weekly TV series called "Pathfinders," about a fictional Lancaster pathfinder squadron. Its a pity TV companies don't bring those old series back.

Did you see it? The series are on DVD at this site. Seems very interesting to me. With real Lancasters.

I saw his movie District9, very impressive. I think the approach of the dams by the Lancasters shall be awesome, surely on a big screen!

Here ya go Brit:wink:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6SBD_zzsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6SBD_zzsI[/ame]

Bloody hell, thanks Gunny

When I showed my son the video of the Lancaster flying over the dam, he said, "I bet some people thought, ON NO NOT AGAIN, the last time those bastards were here I got wet."

Apparantly, the script has been written for the re-make by Stephen Fry.
I don't know whats happening about actual filming.
Another rumour is that they were planning on making a number of full size, non-flying replicas of Lancasters to use in the film.

Did you see it? The series are on DVD at this site. Seems very interesting to me. With real Lancasters.

The series used radio control models for the flying scenes, with the sound of multi Merlin's added during editing. But I must admit, very realistic.

If I remember correctly, the Lancaster model was shown at a radio control aircraft meet years ago. The aircraft took off and did a few circuits, as she came into land wind sheer got her, she cart-wheeled and smashed into a millions pieces. From what I heard, the builder of the aircraft burst into tears. SO would I!

The Dambusters movie used four of the final production Lancaster B.VIIs, that had to be taken out of storage and specially modified by removing the mid-upper gun turrets to mimic 617 Squadron's special aircraft, and cost £130 per hour to run, which amounted to a tenth of the film's costs. A number of Avro Lincoln bombers were also used as "set dressing." (An American cut was made more dramatic by depicting an aircraft flying into a hill and exploding. This version used stock footage from Warner Brothers of a B-17 Flying Fortress, not a Lancaster.)

Apparantly, the script has been written for the re-make by Stephen Fry.
I don't know whats happening about actual filming.
Another rumour is that they were planning on making a number of full size, non-flying replicas of Lancasters to use in the film.

They have made them. Cant remember the field but they are parked there for all to see early this year. Google up Peter Jacksons Weta website it has more info on them there.

I'd be interested in whom they cast as Guy Gibson, and whether his dog will be mentioned, or will they succumb to political correctness in place of historical fact?

Back