Remembering the Lancaster Bomber (video)

I'd be interested in whom they cast as Guy Gibson, and whether his dog will be mentioned, or will they succumb to political correctness in place of historical fact?

Christian Bale?
And the dog's name is the dog's name, people need to understand that and live with it!

Did you see it? The series are on DVD at this site. Seems very interesting to me. With real Lancasters.

Thanks VDKMS, I've ordered a copy of Pathfinders along with a copy of "Danger UXB," another brilliant series from British TV.

In the example Gunny posted showed up how unrealistic the rear turret was of the Lancaster shown in the clip. But its going to be good to watch all over again.

As a matter of interest, the original movie was made at RAF Hemswell, my old basic training station. There are rumours that Gibson's dog was not run over, but was "murdered" by a person or persons unknown, as apparently the dog was a pain in the bum.

Last edited:
Just watched "The Dambusters" on ITV4, before the "Watershed" and the dog's name was left unchanged!
Well done ITV4!

Just watched "The Dambusters" on ITV4, before the "Watershed" and the dog's name was left unchanged!
Well done ITV4!

When the movie was shown at my sons school the teacher had to explain to the class that the name didn't mean then what it means now, it wasn't an insult.

One of the kids in the class, his mum was a councillor in the ANC, she complained that a film was shown with racist overtones (yea I know).

When I was 14, I was on a German exchange visit and stayed in Hemer, which is near both the Sorpe and Mohne Dams.
We were taken to visit the Mohne and the I will never forget the tour guides words as he explained the event of the 16th/17th May 1943.
He said the result of the attack on the Mohne was the:
"Murder of thousands of innocent civillians"
As I've always said, everyone is intitled to their opinions.

When I was 14, I was on a German exchange visit and stayed in Hemer, which is near both the Sorpe and Mohne Dams.
We were taken to visit the Mohne and the I will never forget the tour guides words as he explained the event of the 16th/17th May 1943.
He said the result of the attack on the Mohne was the:
"Murder of thousands of innocent civillians"
As I've always said, everyone is intitled to their opinions.

I'm afraid I would have reminded him of the blitz. Sanctimonious arse holes like that annoy me.

Last edited:
I finally got the DVD's of "The Pathfinders," and "Danger UXB."

Pathfinders is a bit dated, the mock up of inside a Lancaster is very poor, but still brilliant.

Danger UXB is real sit on the edge of your seat stuff. It has the obligatory local bike, light fingered squaddies, bumbling junior officers and NCO's who nurse their officers along.

Back