Reluctance to instigate no fly zone over Libya




 
--
 
March 3rd, 2011  
perseus
 
 

Topic: Reluctance to instigate no fly zone over Libya


In view that the US, NATO and in particular the UN are dragging their heels on this, what other options are available to help the anti-Gadaffi forces defend themselves against air attack?

I assume there are illegal arms dealers touting to both sides. Perhaps something above board could be sold, such as a decent modern hand held ground to air AA missile system? Is there anything suitable which is easy to use and could be shipped out quickly?

However, would Western forces be wise to sell a state of the art defence system to an unknown political force? Would a decent AA system be necessary to cope with the Libyan air force?

Breaking news

The Libyan oil terminal town of Brega has been targeted with air strikes, sources in the town said. The strikes come a day after clashes between rebels and government troops in the town in which 14 people died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12632482
March 4th, 2011  
Botak
 
 
I'm confused as to the whole intervention thing to be perfectly honest... one news report I hear will have interviews from Libyans on the ground begging for intervention, and the next will have other Libyans from the same patch of ground effectively saying "Sod Off, we don't want the West's help, we'll do this by ourselves!"

... Kinda don't know what to think. I just hope however it pans out, the people get what they want and need with a minimal casualty count...
March 4th, 2011  
perseus
 
 
This schizophrenic view is understandable since they want Gadaffi's regime removed yet don't want the West to take over the country and oilfields.
--
March 7th, 2011  
LeMask
 
I saw reports on the BBC of a shotdown airplane. It was shot down by AA guns controled by a "rookie" gunner who was spending his first hours with the big caliber gun (with only one tube working).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12657396

I believe that sending them AA guns could do the trick.
March 8th, 2011  
Seehund
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
In view that the US, NATO and in particular the UN are dragging their heels on this, what other options are available to help the anti-Gadaffi forces defend themselves against air attack?

I assume there are illegal arms dealers touting to both sides. Perhaps something above board could be sold, such as a decent modern hand held ground to air AA missile system? Is there anything suitable which is easy to use and could be shipped out quickly?

However, would Western forces be wise to sell a state of the art defence system to an unknown political force? Would a decent AA system be necessary to cope with the Libyan air force?

Breaking news

The Libyan oil terminal town of Brega has been targeted with air strikes, sources in the town said. The strikes come a day after clashes between rebels and government troops in the town in which 14 people died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12632482
Eliminate the pilots and sabotaging airplanes are also a possibility.
March 9th, 2011  
perseus
 
 
I understand that an official 'no fly zone' wouldn't have the authority to bring down helicopters, how come, are these designated as army or ground forces?
March 9th, 2011  
LeMask
 
Depend if they are flying or not...

But the main problem is that it's not easy to clearly identify Khaddafi's troops and the insurgents.
March 10th, 2011  
Spartan613
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
I understand that an official 'no fly zone' wouldn't have the authority to bring down helicopters, how come, are these designated as army or ground forces?
Doesn't make much sense. The US made the same blunder with the no-fly zone in Iraq at the end of Desert Storm. The Iraqis couldn't believe they could still use their helicopters to attack the Marsh Arabs.

I guess it's easier to identify a fast-mover as hostile and not on a medevac task than it is a helicopter.
March 10th, 2011  
senojekips
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botak
I'm confused as to the whole intervention thing to be perfectly honest... one news report I hear will have interviews from Libyans on the ground begging for intervention, and the next will have other Libyans from the same patch of ground effectively saying "Sod Off, we don't want the West's help, we'll do this by ourselves!"

... Kinda don't know what to think. I just hope however it pans out, the people get what they want and need with a minimal casualty count...
It's the same as any situation, especially where there may be something to gain. Ten people, ten opinions.
March 10th, 2011  
rattler
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seehund
Eliminate the pilots and sabotaging airplanes are also a possibility.
And many more "softer" committments that could swing balance:

- Raise and share INTEL (tapping into ground-air comms should not be a prob for US or NATO, informing the "rebels" of incoming is a political decision)

- Disrupt command networks, cyber way or other, of the Ghadafi crew

- Covertly and deniably insert SOF with the goal to take out Ghadafi commanders to disrupt CoC, C3 and C4

- Covertly arm rebels (MANPADS?)

- Covertly insert "instructors" (If I understand right the main problem of the rebel forces is that they dont listen to their ex-Ghadafi commanders but venture in suicidal maneuvers)

etc.

Rattler
 


Similar Topics
UK, Germany fly secret missions into Libya
Peruvians, Chileans help guard Baghdad's Green Zone