Rejected

Ramjet

I received a rejection letter today from the defence force, stating that my myopia exceeds entrance requirements.

The letter also said I could appeal. I'm not sure what to do here. Should I appeal? If so, how much of a chance would I have of my appeal being successful?

I had my heart set on joining the airforce, so this letter hurt. My recruiter was even getting me ready for an interview in January - I wish I knew my eyesight would be a problem beforehand.

if it were me, i would probably appeal it. But really, it depends on how bad you want to get in. If this letter was kinda your way of hearing "this isn't for me", then so be it.

Eyesight must be pretty bad then. Unless you get yourself lazer surgery, I don't know what you can do. They have to tell you that you can appeal, but I don't know what grounds you can justify them accepting your application. Just talk to the recruiter and the RMO, they're usually pretty helpfull.

Now it all depends just what sort of unit you want to join. If you wish to join some form of combat unit then forget it, peoples lives will at times rest with with you and your eye sight. If you wish to join as some form of clerk well may be you you should try again if you wish, but as they have enough people who's eyesight meets their requirements then your chances of getting in will be slim. The best thing you can do is look for a good job in civvy street and make the forces your special l interest,

Thanks all for your replies.

@OORAH: As I said in my original post, I had my heart set on joining. I was actually looking forward to the interview.

@AussieNick: Thanks, hopefully I'll be calmer when I speak with them tomorrow! I just can't shrug off the feeling that I've been strung along somewhere. Surely my file must've noted my application could only be processed pending a review of my eyesight? My recruiter was making it sound as though everything was okay.

It took me a while today but I finally dug out what appears to be the minimum vision requirements for the ADF. Myopia: -5.00. My myopia is actually -4.25 in both eyes. Factor in the astigmatism and it's probably my right eye that put me out of contention.

It annoys me, but - it's not like I would be actively on the front lines [my gender would disallow that, in the first place]. Without my glasses I wouldn't be liable to run into walls and can distinguish objects, blah blah.

@LeEnfield: No, not a combat position - I was applying for Intelligence Officer.

Unfortunately there's very little on civvy street for me [that I can see for now, anyways].

Chatted to the ADF people today. Apparently there's no chance in my lifetime that I will ever be able to serve. No appeal necessary.

Oh well.

-A bitterly disappointed Ramjet

God, I never knew eyesight had that much to do with it. I mean, can't you just get contacts or glasses and be done with it? The only position I know of where you have to have perfect vision is if you want to be a pilot

Well my eyes are cactus. But I still got into RMC. I just had a letter from an optometrist that said I was alright. I sat the eye test and passed (just), and with the letter they went "no worries".

As for eye sight denominating which corp you go to, that BS. You can have shonky eyesight and still join infantry or armour etc. The only one thing it'll preclude you from is a pilot. Bar that, I reckon you'll get in if your persistant.... Just hassle them and let them know that your ok with it.

@STH: The medical officer I spoke to told me that even if I had eye surgery, I would be barred from enlisting. Even if, with eye surgery, my eyes are corrected to 20/20 vision, they would look at my pre-surgery eye test...since I'm already disqualified, they would again knock me back.

I don't understand? :?

I wear glasses now - and guess what, my vision corrects to 20/20 aided :roll: So, IMO wouldn't that mean my vision would not be a severe impediment to my duties?

I think they're overstating my [in medical terms, moderate] myopia - it's almost as though they see me as a helpless, half-blind bat without my glasses, which is not true.

@AussieNick: Thanks for you suggestion re: the letter and eye test. I might call them again, although maybe it's due to the branch but the people weren't too helpful IMO.

Apparently my recruiter knows nothing about the appeal process while the medical officer was quite cynical when I mentioned my intentions. "Your vision won't correct itself in 12 months, right? So I wouldn't recommend appealing." Sounded like she wanted to actively discourage me...not sure if she was being honest or if she just wanted to rub in the fact that I was out.

I might consider sitting a second eye test by another optometrist, followed by a letter. I'm also wondering if there are any other methods of recourse aside from a strictly medical POV...the appeal process can't be that narrow.

You can still join the airforce, you just can't be a pilot. You can join the Navy or Marines even if you have less than perfect vision, can't you???

Yeah for the airforce even with laser surgery you aren't allowed to get in. You need natural 20/20 vision or better.

However, army, and navy, probably allow it.

Hi everyone again,

@Henderson: Unfortunately the Australian Defence Force isn't as progressive as their US counterpart and LASIK is not acceptable for any branches. Unless this rule changes, it effectively bars me from enlistment.

@STH and EZ: There are eyesight requirements for certain occupations. They differ so it's best to check beforehand. I believe the standards for entrance into the US Military are viewable online.

Also, EZ - only pilots are required to have 20/20 vision. I believe aircrew are allowed a maximum of -2.00 myopia/hyperopia, while non-flying members of the airforce are allowed a greater degree of visual impairment.

Anyways, I have decided not to appeal. I think it would be time-consuming and I wouldn't have much chance of success - my myopia is a fixed, medical fact and there is little recourse available.

Oh well!

Actually, don't laugh. You can have vision that is better than 20/20.

20/20 is basically "normal eyesight" - but there are people with 20/15 vision, for instance, or 20/10.

What that means in real terms...

A person with 20/10 vision can see something at 20ft what someone with 20/20 vision can see at 10ft.

So :p

Back