Regarding violence on the streets & policing.

Many years ago, offenders that committed crimes of violence were beaten with a Birch stick, this later became a heavy cane similar to that used in Singapore today. It was re introduced in my State in the 1950s to combat the rising crime rate committed by "Bodgies" who were the Gangs of the day. As far as I know it is still on the statutes but has not been used for nearly 50 years.

It had an amazing effect on crime here and only a handful of offenders ever received it before the crime rate just fell through the floor.

you do wrong: it's your fault. Plain and simple.

do the crime, do the time. and none of this soft time either. Hard labour.

hell, might even bring certain prices down!

Re. corporal punishment - the birch has been mentioned, but we also had the cat o' nine tails. Although gone now, some of our violent criminals of my generation received this many times and live still to tell the tale. I have to say they seem quite proud about it now.

Is it a Shinai?
No, not in the true sense, it is usually a single unsplit cane about 3/4" in diameter and about 3 -4 feet in length.

The original "Birch" was a bundle of birch twigs up to 5 feet long, and a few strokes could easily flay the skin of a man's back. For this reason in my State it was changed to a cane which only left one welt for each stroke. The cane was applied to the buttocks not the back.

Well, that's exactly why the Shinai is held together by the heavy string/rope, is to avoid the tearing of flesh during practice, but I think it was Singapore that gave the hoodlum American they had there about ten years ago that they gave 5 or 6 slashes to, I think they used a Shinai for that punishment. I think hoodlum was cuaght spraying graffiti or something similar. I agreed and I agree with that punishment for those types of crimes. Some of the young, think they know everything types might learn to respect authority again here in this country.

The single split cane you mention sounds like a tool we use to hit with different parts of the hand and shin to toughen them up and eventually build calluses on.

Last edited:
As far as crimes of violence are concerned, this says 'if you hurt others, you will be hurt'. Straightforward justice. Am I for it - hmmm - sometimes.

me?

all the time. i wouldn't have been such a bad kid if the punishment was swift, painful and involved a big stick and a bigger wielder.

Here, if anyone needs convincing of the realities of this situation, is the evidence of Cherie Blair, wife of Tony Blair, Prime Minister of Britain since 1997, to the Home Affairs Select Committee ; after having served as chairman of a street crime commission for channel 4, and that of a high-ranking police chief. Tony Blair and his regime presided over the creation of this crime epedemic; take a look at his wife's opinion now! She is also a high profile Human Rights barrister incidentally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030849/Cherie-I-fear-lives-children-knife-crime-soars.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030968/Beat-officers-dying-breed-says-police-chief.html

Back