Refugee who fled Iran's mullahs becomes first woman space tourist

phoenix80

Banned
AS A young girl in Iran, Anousheh Ansari would stare in wonder at the stars and dream of joining them in the blackness of space.

Yesterday, a week after her 40th birthday, she made her dream come true. At an estimated cost of $20 million (£11 million), Mrs Ansari became the first woman space tourist after blasting off in a Russian Soyuz rocket from Star City in Kazakhstan.

As the first Iranian-born astronaut was circling Earth last night, her remarkable journey from Tehran to the International Space Station was being hailed also as evidence of the continued power of another dream: the American one.

Mrs Ansari was 16 when her family emigrated in 1984 as the Islamic Revolution in Iran was at its peak and girls faced a strictly limited future. Her parents said that they wanted her to be able to pursue her passion for science.

She arrived speaking only French and Farsi, became an American citizen and quickly immersed herself in the study of electronics, receiving degrees in electrical engineering and computer science at George Mason University in Virginia and George Washington University in Washington.

Mrs Ansari joined a telecommunications company, where she met her husband, Hamid. In 1993 she persuaded him and his brother to pool their savings and set up Telecom Technologies, a supplier of communication networks, just as the industry in America was deregulating.

The start-up grew rapidly to employ 250 people and turned the Ansaris into telecom tycoons when the business was sold for hundreds of millions of dollars in 2000.

Mrs Ansari turned her eyes again to the stars. She gave $10 million in 2002 to the X Prize Foundation, set up to encourage advances in human spaceflight, as a prize for the first private venture to launch a reusable spacecraft into space twice in two weeks.

The Ansari X Prize was claimed in 2004 by Mojave Aerospace Ventures.
When the impoverished Russian space programme at the Baikonur centre in Star City began accepting paying passengers on missions, it was only a matter of time before Mrs Ansari signed up.

Space Adventures, the American firm that markets the trips, does not disclose the price but is understood to charge $20 million a ticket, most of which goes to the Russians.

Six months of intensive training has prepared Mrs Ansari for the 11-day spaceflight with two professional astronauts, Michael López-Alegría, from Nasa, and the Russian Mikhail Tyurin. They are due to dock tomorrow at the space station, where Mrs Ansari will spend eight days before returning to Earth with the departing crew, Pavel Vinogradov, of Russia, and the American , Jeffrey Williams, on September 29.

Mrs Ansari, who recently described space as being “in my soul and in my heart”, said before take-off that she was looking forward to seeing Iran again from high above Earth. She has not been back since she left.

She hopes that a new generation of girls with similarly big dreams will be staring back at her up among the stars. She said: “I hope to inspire everyone — especially young people, women and young girls all over the world, and in Middle Eastern countries that do not provide women with the same opportunities as men — to not give up their dreams and to pursue them.

“It may seem impossible to them at times. But I believe they can realise their dream if they keep it in their hearts, nurture it and look for opportunities and make those opportunities happen.”

Mrs Ansari’s family were at Baikonur to witness the dream and they celebrated with champagne and tears as the rocket took off in a plume of flame and smoke.

Her mother, Fakhri Shahidi, said: “It’s hard to believe my daughter is going to space. I pray with all my heart she’s coming back soon.”

Russia is the only country to offer space tourism for those able to afford the hefty fee, and Mrs Ansari is its fourth paying customer. She had been scheduled to go later but got her seat on this mission when Russian officials withdrew Daisuke Enomoto, a Japanese businessman, for unspecified medical reasons.

Mrs Ansari has said that she detests the term “space tourist”, preferring to see herself as an ambassador for a new wave of private explorers at Earth’s final frontier.
She told an interviewer: “Tourists are people who just buy a ticket and then they go. They don’t train for six months and try to learn every system.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2364282,00.html

0,,342052,00.jpg

trans.gif

Anousheh Ansari prepares for her $20 million flight. The former telecom tycoon, who left Iran when she was 16, says that space is “in my soul and in my heart”. PHOTOGRAPH: SHAMIL ZHUMATOV/REUTERS

The Final Frontier - the stars .....

This story is a bittersweet story. On the one hand, a young girl born into a world that does NOT celebrate the spirit of a young girl's dream, has realised her lifelong dream and has gone for a short visit to the stars.

The real losers however, are people everywhere. Man had such grand dreams ... cars that fly, settlements on the moon, a civilisation of man in outer space, man finding his destiny in outer space and taking his place as the arbiter of his own fate.

Was it only the dream of people that were living in a world where everybody looked at the world through rose colored glasses? Was the dream a dream that took place so long ago?

LOOK WHERE WE ARE:

Anousheh Ansari had to leave Tehran to even have a shot at realising her dream to visit outer space.

There is terrorism found around the world, and because there is a group of people that will NOT recognise that all people COULD realise a dream that is bigger than ANY religious differences, we are committed to a long era where much human death and suffering will be our fate.

Those who govern, are so interested in keeping themselves in power that they have sold out the people - this will ensure that technology is throttled to the point that cheap transportation (let alone flying cars), will be a very long time being realised.

And the worst stumbling block to the stars, continues to be governments that haven't figured a way to get along.

I don't know about the rest of you ... but ...

I WOULD RATHER SEE THE EARTH SCOURED FREE OF ALL LIFE, THAN SEE MAN TAKE HIS HATREDS AND BIGOTRY TO THE STARS.

You see -

THE DREAM HAS NOT DIED FOR ME. I will never get to venture to the stars, but I have hope that my children's children will have the opportunity to venture to the last of the great adventures. The Final Frontier - the stars.

Back