Refs may be picking on me, says Rooney

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=2006-08-10T230008Z_01_L10300385_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-SOCCER-ROONEY-REFEREES.XML

By Jeremy Butler
MANCHESTER, England, Aug 10 (Reuters) - Manchester United's Wayne Rooney has said he fears he will spend the rest of his career having to cope with over-eager referees, but the forward has no plans to change his aggressive style.
Rooney was sent off in England's World Cup quarter-final exit at the hands of Portugal and was dismissed again in a friendly against Porto last week.
"Possibly I am getting picked on," he said on Thursday at the launch of his book "Wayne Rooney - My Story So Far."
"Referees get a lot of headlines with some decisions they make. I am not having a go at referees but that is the way the game has gone. Sometimes, referees have to take the consequences of that.
"I play football the way I see it. It happens with Cristiano Ronaldo as well. He gets a lot of unfair decisions against him. The refs are trying to grab headlines too much rather than ref a game."
Rooney wants to put his World Cup woes behind him and plans to throw himself into a new season with Manchester United.
"I hope the World Cup can drive me on," he said. "There are a lot of disappointed people at our club from the World Cup and I hope that can help us."
He added: "It was a massive disappointment. I know I can play a lot better. I didn't play half as well as I could have done.
"I am really disappointed with my own performance. I am just looking forward to playing for Manchester United and trying to help us win the league."
United will need reinforcements in attack with Ruud van Nistelrooy having left for Real Madrid.
Rooney said: "Ruud averages 25 goals a season and that is a lot to lose. I hope to make up the slack because I want to play a lot of games and score a lot of goals."
But Rooney does not want to be used as a lone striker - a role he was controversially thrust into during the World Cup clash with Portugal.
He said: "I know I can do that job but I just was not good enough. I would have liked to have someone up there with me for support more than anything else."
Rooney returns to club action on Aug. 20 against Fulham and will line-up alongside Cristiano Ronaldo with the pair coming under close scrutiny following their clash at the World Cup.
"Whenever England do not do well in a World Cup or a major tournament, people look for a scapegoat," Rooney said.
"Unfortunately, this year a lot of the press have turned on Cristiano and tried to make him that.
"But I spoke to Cristiano. I am not going to lie. I was disappointed with his involvement in the sending off.
"But that is in the past now. We are both playing for Manchester United and trying to do our best for them."

Back