Reenlistment (Not RE-4!)

greg

Heya everyone. I've got a question about reenlistment. Back in 2001, I joined the Air Force straight out of high school a much less mature individual than I am now. I studied Arabic at DLI and to make a long story short, I was separated with a General (Under Honorable Conditions) discharge for smoking marijuana. I was asked if I would be willing to take a test when they were doing the investigation and I complied. I had made a mistake and I'm not one to lie about it or try and run away from problems I've created for myself.

Now I don't expect anyone's sympathy or anyone to tell me "oh, it's OK" because really, it's not. A long time has passed however, and I am a much more mature individual now. I haven't used any drugs (I really don't like any high...I didn't then and I hate it even more now) and I RARELY even drink. I've requested my records as I've lost them from so many moves over the years...I don't know my reenlistment code. I DO know it's not RE-4 though. I THINK it might be a 2B but again, I'm not entirely sure. Here's what I do know: As I mentioned before, the discharge was General (Under Honorable Conditions) and my UIF (Unfavorable Information File) was destroyed.

I want to enlist in the Navy and become a SEAL more than anything I've ever wanted in my life and so far, things aren't looking good. My questions are as follows:

• Has anyone been, or known anyone who has been, discharged under similar circumstances receiving the same discharge? Do you know what their RE code was?
  • If my RE code does prevent me from enlisting, is there any way to get a waiver or get the code upgraded so that I can join?
  • Is there any faster way to retrieve my reenlistment code (aside from waiting on these records) such as an online database?
Thanks in advance...I really hope that my screw-ups so long ago don't take this away from me. If ever we're in need of good, patriotic servicemen it's now and not being able to both do my part and make up for my mistakes in my past would be very upsetting.

Greg

I would think that a security clearance would be more difficult for you than a re-enlistment, but someone with more experience should probably answer to that.

Believe it or not, they didn't yank my clearance upon discharge. They actually destroyed my UIF (Unfavorable Information File...not sure if they have those in other branches of the service or if it's called the same) and I distinctly remember the Security Forces guy AND my First Sergeant saying that the clearance is still available, just not active so it shouldn't be difficult getting a job that requires it. Who knows if they were sugar coating things but I remember telling me a lot of things like that. With the exception of my marijuana use, I was actually a very good Airman. I did well in language school and volunteered a lot...even got a ribbon for my extensive volunteer work. Anyway, thanks for the reply....I hope I can get this all fixed up because I want to reenlist more than anything...it's been my motivation for a lot of changes I've been making in my life.

Regards,
Greg

Back