Redneck

Redneck said:
I only did an introduction post once we got the Welcoming Center up and running, so there isn't one from when I first joined the forum.

Go for it Crazy.

Man i love the mods like a fat kid loves cake!!! (wait, i'm a skinny kid, but I STILL love cake!)

*Jumps up and down in chair*

OCDTSmith said:
Hey Redneck, you got any horses?

Right now I'm all hat and no cattle, my quarter died in January and my paint died in June, both from stomach cancer. It's probably the government's fault.

:lol:

I used to have a string of four quarters, and before that I had an appie. How about yourself? Was the horse in your picture yours?

Yeah, that's one of my Appaloosas, I have 3. Before I decided to give appies a try I had 2 QHs. I got one bred to an appy and the horse in the picture is the result :) Sorry about the loss of your horses :( . I don't know about you, but my horses are like my best friends :) Nothing can beat a nice long ride in the woods with my horse and my golden retriever tagging along behind :)

Redneck said:
I feel for you, my brother got rejected by the Air Force Academy after completing all requirements because he had infantile asthma, then got rejected by the Army even after scoring 300+ on the APFT. Now he's a professional firefighter....... :?

Thank you for the well wishes.

I feel sorry for your brother, My uncle got rejected by the russian air forces because he couldn't take the G's after passing all the tests

OCDTSmith said:
Yeah, that's one of my Appaloosas, I have 3. Before I decided to give appies a try I had 2 QHs. I got one bred to an appy and the horse in the picture is the result :) Sorry about the loss of your horses :( . I don't know about you, but my horses are like my best friends :) Nothing can beat a nice long ride in the woods with my horse and my golden retriever tagging along behind :)

I hear you there. Pancho (my paint) was like a massive dog, when I was out working he would follow me around and when I stopped to do something he would drop his head on my shoulder trying to see what I was doing. That's a good looking horse you have there.

Thanks :D It's hard to keep the belly off of her though. I think she'd eat until she'd explode if I left her. My horse is a lot like a dog too, she always comes when I call and when she slides to a stop at the gait she's always got to stick her nose in my face. She does it to everyone and it sometimes scares people because she pushes her nose as close to your face as she can :) She's kind of weird like that but that's why I love her so much :D She's got a big heart to go with her big belly :D

:lol: Sounds a lot like Pancho, towards the end of the summer he would always look like somebody had pumped his gut up with an air compressor after eating green alfalfa all season.

So what kind of riding do you do? I think I remember reading on some of the posts that you did roping? I ride Western but not the "tough stuff", just trail riding, western pleasure, horsemanship, halter, etc. My horse doesn't really have high gear, she's naturally slow and even if I'm away on training for 2 months and decide to take her for a ride after not having been ridden, she still pokes along. Are you hoping to get another horse again?

No I do Hunter-Jumper and other English-style riding.

:lol: Just kidding, I haven't done any serious riding in years, but I tried my hand at roping for awhile (ended up almost ripping my thumb off when I caught it in a dalley, got a nice scar circling my right thumb now :lol: ). Most of what I did in the past and do now is just working cattle, nothing too fancy. I did just win a race down a mountainside with an open can of beer in either hand though here a month ago, I was impressed. :lol:

So how's the showing going?
I'm hoping to get another horse, but it might be almost a year before I can, the Army's being pretty inconsiderate with scheduling my life. :lol:

Redneck said:
I did just win a race down a mountainside with an open can of beer in either hand though here a month ago, I was impressed. :lol:

lol, impressive :D

Yeah, I'm not crazy about how much time the army consumes in my life. this year I didn't get to show at all :( I was supposed to go away on training this summer for 2 months but I got accepted to military college and that's where I am now so I only see my horse about every 2 months. I think next year I'm going to move her here with me even though it'll cost an arm and a leg.

My horse usually does pretty good at shows. She's not one of those horses that freaks out when she's someplace new and she doesn't spook really easy unless she's in heat. I was pretty proud when she was 2 because I was 14 years old and I was the only person to train her and she got Top Junior Horse. I don't have as much time to train her now though but she's got lots of potential....so how long have you been in the army for? I've only been in a little over a year but I'm liking it so far :D

Congratulations, sounds like you're doing a good job with her.

I was contracted I believe 17 or 18 months ago (never really payed much attention, I just sign anything SFC L. puts in front of me :lol: ). Even though I am technically in the Army as a contracted ROTC Cadet, I won't actually be in the "real" Army until I receive my commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Field Artillery here in June. I'm not sure how your officer cadet program/s work (I was talking to NCdt Steliga about it awhile ago, but I guess I'm a slow learner :lol: ), but are you going to a university before you commission, or is the cadet corps run like a trade school through the military?

We go to University for 4 years and when we graduate we are commissioned as 2 Lieutenant. NCdt Steliga is here with me too. I'm taking a Bachelor of Arts and going Logistics, but if that's not exciting enough for me I might switch to something else. I don't like being stuck behind a desk all the time :( If I fail out I figure I'll go supply tech. I wanted to do Infantry but my recruiter wouldn't even hear about it, probably because I'm a girl. I was in the Reserves as an Infantryman for 8 months and I really loved it. I sucked at shooting but I still loved it :) So how exactly does your program work? Do you guys have a military college down there or do you just have trade schools? Guess I'm a little slow too :D

We have the Academies (Westpoint, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy) and then the Military Junior Colleges (not really 100% sure how those work, but basically they go to a JC run by the military for two years and then have 3 years to finish up at any 4 year university), and then ROTC, which is at non-military campuses. The military (in my case the Army) can pay for your tuition (if you earn a scholarship) and give you a stipend, and you do some training during the year (PT and a lot of classroom time, plus several FTXs a year) and you can be sent to other schools (BAC/Jump School, CDQC, Air Assault, etc.) during the summers. All three of these paths end up with the cadet commissioning as a 2nd LT.

I think every year we have sports competitions with Westpoint. I won't be able to this year because I'm at the prepratory year, but next year when I go to Kingston, Ontario we compete against them.

So where are you from and what are your interests besides barrelling down a mountain on horseback trying not to spill your beer? :D

OCDTSmith said:
So where are you from and what are your interests besides barrelling down a mountain on horseback trying not to spill your beer? :D

That about sums it up right there. :lol:

I'm from northwestern Nevada, and my main interest right now is finishing school. :lol: I don't really have any set interests, pretty much anything going on outside does it for me, but I love skiing, and during the winters I spend most of my free time doing backcountry in the mountains around the ranch.

How about yourself? Anything in particular besides riding?

I bet Nevada is really beautiful. I always wanted to travel out West and I always wanted to live in Colorado when I was younger because I thought it would be a beautiful place to own a ranch. Well, aside from horseback riding I like going snow-shoeing but as for skis I have no balance and I end up getting frustrated and just taking the damn things off. I'm a real "out-doorsy" person and I like camping and hiking and we have a beautiful camp in an apple orchard that I just like to hang out at. I like ski-dooing and 4-wheeling too though I'd rather be a passenger than a driver ( I'm a horrible driver.) So do you own a ranch or work on one? I know it's a lot of hard work but if I ever win the lotto that'd be the first thing I would buy :)

:lol: I'd be a pretty high roller if I owned a ranch at 22. My family has a smaller cattle ranch (Hereford-Angus cross, only around 100 acres), but my goal for after I leave the Army is to get a couple thousand acres in either Montana or Colorado with my brother and run some cattle on it.

Never tried snowshoing before, but I've been thinking about getting a set for the past few years (breaking trail through 3+ foot of powder with your boots and skiis on your back gets kind of tiring :lol: ).
If I ever won the lotto, I'd buy a million lottery tickets and see if I could do it twice.

My family owns about 70 acres or so and a lot of it is woods that's great to go trail riding in. I love the woods :) We don't have a big farm or anything, just 3 horses. My brother had Herfords for a little while when he was younger but none now. I live in a rural area and there's a few dairy farms around here. I started working on a dairy farm when I was 10 and stayed there for 4 years until the teachers loaded on too much homework and I just didn't have the time. I also wasn't getting paid all that great :? but it was an alright job. I was "attacked" a couple of times in the field by cranky cows (nothing serious just knocking me over or head butting me), got shocked several times by the electric fence and worked 12 hour days in the summer at the age of 11, but when I look back now I realize that I actually had a lot of fun :D

:lol: Builds character, huh?

Yeah, I ran into my first electric fence with the help of my brother, who dared me I couldn't climb through it. You better believe I proved him wrong. :lol:

Back