Red Dawn: China invade America!

longriver

Red Dawn: China invade America!

The movie Red Dawn (1984) starring the young Patrick Swayze (RIP) and Charlie Sheen was perhaps one of the more memorable movies of the 80’s. The prospect of a Soviet invasion of Continental America had been a frightening scenario that played well into the collective psyche during the Cold War.

Fast-forward to 2009, instead of fearing nuclear holocaust or imminent military invasion, we are fearing the fallout of the worse economic recession since the 1920’s, not to mention owing a sizable chunk of our debt to the Chinese. So it is probably fitting that the new remake of Red Dawn (2010) due to be released in 2010 would exploit the public hysteria surrounding the possibilities of a Chinese economic takeover. Ironically in the original Red Dawn, the Chinese and the Americans were allied (probably as a result of the height of the Sino-American rapprochement at the time the movie was made).

Chinese netizens were generally both amused and bemused behind the idea of China invading America, with some expressing satisfaction toward such an endeavor, while others disliking the portrayal of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) on the set.

Can't wait for this film. How accurate do you think would their portrayal be of the uniforms/gear?

SPOILER

China invades via civilian airliners?With paratroops? I did not know that you could rig those things for airborne operations.

In terms for the FIRST Red Dawn, which I loved watching as a kid, since I always wanted to be a trouble maker fighting anybody that was named in Bush's Axis of Evil speech. You can look it up in parts on youtube. The reason I mention this, is because the subtitles for the parts in Spanish and Russian have been dubbed over with some hilarious text...It's worth watching just for that.

I mean the stuff is hilarious, some examples from what I remeber.

(Soviet Special Forces operator held at gunpoint by a Wolverine, and screams)
Commie plea to adherance to Geneva Convention

(Invading commander organizes defense against U.S. air attacks downtown)
Gettme sound motha**** AA on them ph***in buildings, and knock them b*** playa haters out of the air. (Communist Corporal Replies: )
On it HOSS!!

Last edited:
SPOILER

China invades via civilian airliners?With paratroops? I did not know that you could rig those things for airborne operations.

Story may be a little implausible. China would go broke trying to pay the extra baggage fees to get enough paratroopers in country. Most airlines are charging like $15.00 1st bag and $25.00 second bag. So pack plus parachute would be like $40.00.

And they can't claim the parachute as a carry-on because it won't fit under the seat.:???:

Other than this it should be a good movie. Who is playing Patrick Swayze's roll?

Well that sucks, you think there wouldn't be advertising if they did not have the funding in the first place.

And that somewhere, someone else is pissed that China stole their movie script to use as and invasion plan, and pulled copyright infringment at the last minute.:smile:

It is a constant source of amazement to me how Hollywood, despite the wealth of reference and expertise available, still gets History and the Military so wrong-so often. Some of it has to be intentional.
“If it’s stupid but works, it isn’t stupid.” MURPHY’s third law of combat

It is a constant source of amazement to me how Hollywood, despite the wealth of reference and expertise available, still gets History and the Military so wrong-so often. Some of it has to be intentional.
“If it’s stupid but works, it isn’t stupid.” MURPHY’s third law of combat

It is supposed to amaze you. That is what sells tickets. Are you not familiar with the word fiction?

And as one who has had to stand many mid watchs, if Hollywood made military films too accurate they would be very boring.:-D

Back