recruiter giving the runaround?

alisaalthaus

I was in the Army about 20 years ago. I didn't think things would change much but I guess they did. My daughter is going in to Army Nat. Guard and is taking her asvab/physical on Tuesday and Wednesday. The recruiter told her that she would have to pass with 1 pushup in order to get into basic, and 17 to graduate. He told her she would be doing this pushup when she does her physical. Now she is told it will happen at the reception station during basic. Now, when I was in, I was tested during basic, not before, but, I was told I could do 1 male pushup or 13 female pushups (with the knees). What does she need to do? The reason I am asking is that pushups are her weak spot. We've been training, but it has me worried. She can do female pushups with no problem. The recruiter told her that if she doesn't pass, she has 5 days to train up, then if she doesn't pass again, she is gone. I would think that the military would not want to waste all that money sending these people to basic, feeding them etc. in order to turn them away. Do they train them up during these 5 days? With as much as recruitment has gone down, I would think that there would be some allowances.

personally I think that its pathetic that you only have to do one pushup to get into basic.
In CAP we have to do like fifty during PT night. Probably a lot more i can't remember.

I am regular army and combat arms so it might be a little different. here is what happened to us. you do your meps stuff then they fly you to the base your going to. When you get there you report to a reception battalion where you inprocess. one of the last things you do is take a pt test. It was correct pushups only no female pushups. but you only did like 7 pushups 11situps and ran 1 mile in like 9min. It will be less for females, should you fail that you went to a battalion and just worked out for a week or 2 then tryed again. I don't remember the exact time you had to get in shape. and by the time she graduates from basic she will have too do 60% on every thing to pass. she should get 3retrys as well. should she fail those she will go to the same unit that the pt failures go if they fail before. I know the national guard is different there a little more stingy on spending money on soliders or they used to be in like 2002.

The recruiter told her that she would have to pass with 1 pushup in order to get into basic, and 17 to graduate.

WHAT! That's nothing.

We gotta do 16 to get in, and 50 just to pass your basic fitness assesments (BFA for my age is 50 push ups, 75 sit ups and run 2.4km in 10 min 48 sec). There is also the CFA which is the combat fitness assesment, but thats different and includes a 15km pack march so I won't go into that.

Aussie, is that like 50 pushups and 75 sit ups for Kapooka? I can't see it being in the pre-fitness assessment.

All armies should have pre fitness assessment of around half of what is needed during graduation. You can't take the number any higher or the influx of recruits will be smaller.

Aussie, is that like 50 pushups and 75 sit ups for Kapooka? I can't see it being in the pre-fitness assessment.

I'm not talking about pre-enlistment testing. I'm talking about your BFA when it comes to the 50/75, which you will have to do over and over again in the army. Note I said you have to do 16 to enter at the start of my post.

When do BFA's take place?

Since I'm doing officer entry and your doing general entry I can't answer for sure. But, I think you have to do one very early on at Kapooka, and then you have to do them once every 6 months, just like your medical and dental check up. I'm in a situation where I have to do them before courses to prove fitness.

Back