Recording kills in air to air combat

jedi078

Not sure if this is in the proper thread.

I think the following are types of recording (if I am wrong correct me) air to air kills:

Kill-you successfully shoot down an enemy aircraft

Damaged/Probable(are these the same?)-Enemy aircraft you hit escapes from the battle area or the “splash” is not seen

Assist (not sure if it exists)- You assist in shooting down and enemy aircraft. Who gets the kill? The guy who hit first or last? Or do both get an “assist?”

As far as I know the U.S. armed forces use the same “kill recording system” (Am I right or wrong?)

As far as I know, you only get credit for confirmed kills. The others don't really exist.

It is possible to share a kill -- I don't know about today, since one missile generally brings down one plane, but back in WWII, you often heard about one pilot starting a kill, but not being able to finish it, then another pilot finishing the kill. Each would then get 1/2 kill credited.

You forgot to mention "the Probable"

AJChenMPH said:
As far as I know, you only get credit for confirmed kills. The others don't really exist.

It is possible to share a kill -- I don't know about today, since one missile generally brings down one plane, but back in WWII, you often heard about one pilot starting a kill, but not being able to finish it, then another pilot finishing the kill. Each would then get 1/2 kill credited.

in 1980s, an Iranian F-5E shot down an Iraqi MiG-25 which was already crippled by another Iranian AF F-14A's AIM-54A.

The pilot of the F-5E was Captain Zarif Khadem (former Golden Crown Aerobatic team member) who was later killed during an air raid mission.

Captain ZARIF-KHADEM of IRIAF from TFB.2 / F-5E, MiG-25 killer, in 1983.

http://jpgleize.club.fr/aces/irairn.htm

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml

I guess this is a case of ASSIST as well

Last edited:
In the RAF, if two planes attacked a German plane and it went down then they would get half a kill each. Most of the time a kill had to be confirmed either by another pilot or if it was over England during the BoB they would like to see the wreckage. It was during BoB that they started bringing in cameras on board the planes that would film when the guns were fired and this would then confirm a kill,

LeEnfield said:
In the RAF, if two planes attacked a German plane and it went down then they would get half a kill each. Most of the time a kill had to be confirmed either by another pilot or if it was over England during the BoB they would like to see the wreckage. It was during BoB that they started bringing in cameras on board the planes that would film when the guns were fired and this would then confirm a kill,

Now most airplanes have TISEO cameras, right?

phoenix.....with fire and forget missiles that will take down a plane many miles away a camera would not be of much use, and cannons are hardly ever used these days expect as a last resort.

LeEnfield said:
phoenix.....with fire and forget missiles that will take down a plane many miles away a camera would not be of much use, and cannons are hardly ever used these days expect as a last resort.

TISEO was used to record kills by Sparrow AIM-7 and Sidewinder AIM-9 on F-4E jets and those missiles are not of Fire & Forget type though and they are semi-active missiles.

But you are right about BVR capablities which enable pilots to shoot down an enemy aircraft from miles away.

Back