Recoil?

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
On December 9, 2005, CNN covered an interview of a US Special Forces
soldier, a member of an elite sniper team. A Reuters reporter trying to
milk the interview for all it was worth asked the young soldier in a less than respectful tone, in an effort to make him feel guilty, "What do you feel, if anything, when you shoot an Al Quaeda freedom fighter from such a long distance?"

The young soldier shrugged his shoulders and replied. "RECOIL" & turned
and walked away.

:rambo:

lol, is that a joke? I don't remember hearing about that interview if it isn't. No video? :(

That line has actually been around the sniper community for years in various responses and jokes. Since the 60s, my Dad used to use it.

From the 80s:

"You are in East Germany on a mission, you lay up for days, stalk for miles, finally your taget is in sight. Just before you squeeze your round off, a little girl picking flowers wanders into your sight picture, now what do you feel?"

"Two recoils"

Early 90s:

"You see your mother in your scope, what do you feel"?

"Recoil!"

PJ24 said:
From the 80s:

"You are in East Germany on a mission, you lay up for days, stalk for miles, finally your taget is in sight. Just before you squeeze your round off, a little girl picking flowers wanders into your sight picture, now what do you feel?"

"Two recoils"

Well to be fair and accurate it must be stated that the American armed forces go out of their way to protect civilian life. Even to the point that many American SF soldiers have died because they decided to let a civilian live who then went back and reported their position to the enemy army officers.

Whispering Death said:
Well to be fair and accurate it must be stated that the American armed forces go out of their way to protect civilian life. Even to the point that many American SF soldiers have died because they decided to let a civilian live who then went back and reported their position to the enemy army officers.

These are old jokes from military training. That's all. We tend to be less than PC at times. ;)

I don't know if this one is true either, but it gave me a laugh 'way back when.
During the Vietnam war a journalist approached a helicopter crew and proceeded to grill them about their missions and activities. The crew quickly grew tired of the journalist's tone, and began to reply in the same, rather disrespectful manner. Finally, the journalist turned to the door gunner, and snapped out, "How can you kill defenseless running women and children?" The gunner looked the journalist straight in the eye and replied, "Easy. You don't lead them as much."

Dean.

Another one, but this one is true. (I was there) We were out in the boonies of CFB Gagetown on an Artillery training mission when the battery moved into position and we received the fire orders. At the end of the fire mission, it is SOP to tell the gunners what their fire did. Well, the battery commander was in a bit of a mood, and when the fire mission ended, he grabbed the tannoy mike and called out, "Good shooting, school's burning, children screaming, end of mission."
The next scream was from the Regimental commmanding officer. Apparently the BC was chewed out for it. We were all smiling, though.

Dean.

Last edited:
Dean said:
I don't know if this one is true either, but it gave me a laugh 'way back when.
During the Vietnam war a journalist approached a helicopter crew and proceeded to grill them about their missions and activities. The crew quickly grew tired of the journalist's tone, and began to reply in the same, rather disrespectful manner. Finally, the journalist turned to the door gunner, and snapped out, "How can you kill defenseless running women and children?" The gunner looked the journalist straight in the eye and replied, "Easy. You don't lead them as much."

Dean.
That is a rewritten version from the movie Full Metal Jacket i belive :cool:

Most higher echelon commanders have a rod shoved so far up their 4th point of contact as to leave their neck stiff.

Back