Reclass to 11B and Army schools

garretat

I am in the reserves and i have recently transfered to a reserve DS unit. I have to re-class to 11B before going to DS school. How long is the reclass and what will i have to do.

Also i am in college right now and have plans to go active duty as a DS when i graduate. But before i do that i would like to go to a few schools. mainly Ranger, Air Assualt, Pathfinder and SEERS. What all do i need to know about those schools (requirements, gear, how long ect.). And what are the chances i could get all of those schools back to back?

A lot of info i know but i would really appriciate some good responses

I am in the reserves and i have recently transfered to a reserve DS unit. I have to re-class to 11B before going to DS school. How long is the reclass and what will i have to do.

Also i am in college right now and have plans to go active duty as a DS when i graduate. But before i do that i would like to go to a few schools. mainly Ranger, Air Assualt, Pathfinder and SEERS. What all do i need to know about those schools (requirements, gear, how long ect.). And what are the chances i could get all of those schools back to back?

I do not know anything about the reclass.

Having said that..
WHY do you want the schools?
Badgehunters are frowned upon in all services.
Chances of getting them back to back are ZERO.
BTW SEERS, is that anything like SERE? If so there are different classes of SERE depending on in what training pipeline you visit.

The schools are there for soldiers that can actually USE the knowledge gained.
Going to schools just to get "scare me badges" are not only dumb, it will also take a slot away from a guy who could actually put the training to use.

Just MHO, but you will find ALOT of people think that way..

//KJ.

As far as the reclass is concerned, it takes about 14 weeks because 11B is OSUT(one stop unit training) alot of the training you get in the basic portion(first 9 weeks) pertains alot to the actual job you learn more about in the last 5 weeks.
As far as the schools are concerned you won't get them all back to back unless you somehow managed to get a slot for each school and they all by some act of god happend start one after the other, and not to mention the fact that all these school you mention aren't all at the same base, and the fact that your not giving your body time to rest between school such as SERE unless you just take the basic SERE course, and Ranger. I mean your wanting alot that you don't need as active duty. I suggest if you want to go ranger do that and just go with the flow from there, If your unit wants to send you to the other schools later on in your career then that's fine but don't go out of your way to get ALL these things done ASAP. it all comes in time in service.

Like KJ said, badge hunters are a no-go and that's what it sounds like you are. You can go to all of the schools in the world, collect as many badges as you like but at the end of the day, you've just completed a school. You haven't offered anything to your unit/team. Schools are there to get guys the skills needed to preform their jobs.

As someone that was an instructor at a certain school guys LOVED to try and get. If I found out a guy was there just for the badge, he didn't make it through. Just sayin'.

As a Reserve guy, you can forget Ranger School. Same goes for Pathfinder. You may be able to get Air Assault. You aren't going to see SERE-C unless you're in a position that rates you at a "high risk of capture." As a DS, that ain't you.

My advice to you is to reclass to 11B, go over and do some active time with a line unit. You're not going to know anything about being a 11B without doing that. If you're good to go and an E-5, you can request Ranger School and your unit will decide if they want to send you or not.

One step at a time hardcharger. Reclass to 11B, go to DS School, get some time under the Hat as an Active Army DS & then put in for schools. Airborne School is doable as an 11B &/or Air Assault School. Then possibly Ranger School. Those will be hard to get as a Reservist unless there's a duty requirement for them.

Airborne School is 3 weeks, Ranger School is 2+ months, Air Assault School is 10+ days, figure 2 weeks.

You'll receive a packing list with your orders to the school. They can also be found online by Google but those can change so I wouldn't start packing for a school 2 years before you go. It'll give you an idea about the requirements, too.

Those types of schools are hard to come by. I hope you are getting 270s on your PT test and reading the TMs front to back on a daily basis. Your unit will not waste slots unless they are 100% sure you will pass. The majority of those schools are passed off to regular Army. In the Reserves you need to be absolutely exceptional.

Might be different for Reserve, but active, you would talk to your schools NCO in the S-3 shop.

11B in the reserves? I thought Reseve componant was all support MOSes?

There are actually quite a few 11Bs in some Reserve units. I was an active Army advisor to a Reserve Training Div. It was composed of 3 bdes of Armor, 1 bde Field Artillery & 1 Training Support Command, bde size with lots of Infantry. The G-3 were I worked was mostly Inf including me. Many of the Drill Sgts were 11B, 13B or 19-series as well as the Instructors. To my surprise there was a fair share of Ranger Tabs, AA badges & Jump wings, all earned during the Soldier's active duty time. I can think of only one instance where a Soldier went to Jump School & another one to the Air Assault School while on Reserve duty.

The whole assignment was a big eye opener for me & had the Reserve unit not been one mile from my home I would have fought it tooth & nail -wrongly so. For the most part the Reservists were very professional & proficient in their duties & it was a great assignment to finish my career.

My experence with Reserve comp. is somewhat limited. Without boring all with personal issues, I had went Reserve from active in 06 due to family issues (I lasted a year and a half on the outside and went back active in 07) My then MOS was 92Y and I expressed interest in reclassing back to 11B and was told that all Combat MOSes were National Guard. Then again, it was a Reservist telling me this.

The reserve unit itself, well.....
That's a story in itself. Might scare some of you younger guys from going USAR and my experence is mine alone.

I've heard some horror stories about the Reserves as well, Sarge. My son went from active duty from the 3rd Ranger Batt to a Reserve unit where he's now an SSG & an Instructor. It's at the same Reserve Center where I finished my career but the old 84th Div is no longer in existence & now it's the 94th Div that has the same basic mission - BCT, AIT, Infantry OSUT & ROTC. I've also noticed that they are much more disciplined than even when I was there. A lot more militarily formal. There isn't a single Soldier that doesn't wear a combat patch & most with the CIB as most in his unit are Infantry. Most got their start in the Regular Army & that probably makes the big difference between that & the old pre-war Reserve where most of the troops were professional Reservists with little or no active duty time. Desert Shield/Desert Storm was the start of the big change where most Reservists were activated & started taking it very seriously.

Just thought I would add in that you don't have to wait till E-5 to get a Ranger Slot if that's the route you want to take. I stood outside the Chow Hall next to the classroom doors where a Ranger was standing for like 10 mins. He was instructing people that if they didn't have RIP in their contracts and they wanted to try a shot at it to get in that classroom. Hence the reason why I stood there for 10 mins, "Do I or should I just walk away"? More than likely though if you re-class you aren't going to have to do the whole OSUT process. We had an E-4 from the NG who had re-classed from supply or something, and he showed up during the 2nd part of training. I guess it all depends however on the Army at the time. May have been that way when I enlisted just because of how over-crowded Benning was. I was in the reception bat (30th AG), for 4 weeks, if that tells you anything...lol. That's what I get though for enlisting a month after Sept 11.

Just thought I would add in that you don't have to wait till E-5 to get a Ranger Slot if that's the route you want to take. I stood outside the Chow Hall next to the classroom doors where a Ranger was standing for like 10 mins. He was instructing people that if they didn't have RIP in their contracts and they wanted to try a shot at it to get in that classroom. Hence the reason why I stood there for 10 mins, "Do I or should I just walk away"? More than likely though if you re-class you aren't going to have to do the whole OSUT process. We had an E-4 from the NG who had re-classed from supply or something, and he showed up during the 2nd part of training. I guess it all depends however on the Army at the time. May have been that way when I enlisted just because of how over-crowded Benning was. I was in the reception bat, for 4 weeks, if that tells you anything...lol. That's what I get though for enlisting a month after Sept 11.

Might want to read it again. He was asking about attending Ranger School, not becoming a Ranger hence the reason he would have to wait.

As for the 75th Ranger Regiment and volunteering for selection after OSUT and Airborne weeeellll..........

1. Ranger cadre haven't asked for volunteers in awhile. Option 40 contracts were going like hotcakes and many guys found themselves waiting a month or more just to start their class, lots of guys, not enough slots and an over strength Ranger Regiment for 11 series equals long wait times and a lot more strict grading on tasks and standards during selection. Right now you have a better chance of getting a meeting with the Pope than getting an Option 40 contract.

2. RIP doesn't exist anymore, it is now called RASP I (jr. enlisted) and RASP II (NCOs/Os.)

Might want to read it again. He was asking about attending Ranger School, not becoming a Ranger hence the reason he would have to wait.

As for the 75th Ranger Regiment and volunteering for selection after OSUT and Airborne weeeellll..........

1. Ranger cadre haven't asked for volunteers in awhile. Option 40 contracts were going like hotcakes and many guys found themselves waiting a month or more just to start their class, lots of guys, not enough slots and an over strength Ranger Regiment for 11 series equals long wait times and a lot more strict grading on tasks and standards during selection. Right now you have a better chance of getting a meeting with the Pope than getting an Option 40 contract.

2. RIP doesn't exist anymore, it is now called RASP I (jr. enlisted) and RASP II (NCOs/Os.)

I figured it was the "supply and demand" needed at the time I was in basic......lol.

When I was going through Benning, half of the guys in my platoon alone were option 40. And they still were asking for volunteers.

I guess that's all understandable though considering we had just been attacked.

Back