Recieved an intresting visit today:)

wolfen

Ok about 6 years ago I painted "Welcome home" on my roof, cause I live at the end of the runway for NAS Oceana in VA Beach, I emailed the base co's office and told him about my roof, ever since Jets have turned a bit more to look at it while their on final, and I've gotten hundreds of emails thanking me for this.
Well today I was visited by the CO from one of the squadrons that recently returned from Deployment in Iraq. As it turns out my roof is pretty popular on base here. The Commander shook my hand and said thank you, on behalf of his squadron and the Navy :)

Theres no way you could post a picture of it... could you? That would be really interesting to see!

Good job by the way...

what a nice thing to do!!! good on you mate!!!

yeah, find your house on google maps or whatever its called and post the link!!!!

if you haven't already found it yet try the new "google earth"

it's a globe made of statelite maps and hours and hours of looking at interesting things.

Oh, now that is too cool!!!!!

I'm sure it reminds our soldiers just why it is so good to be back on American soil. (IOW - just being home)

reminds me of my time with the RNZAF up in auckland (NZ's biggest city - pop aprrox 1 million)

went for an orientation flight around the area, and as we flew over one of the "richer" suburbs we noticed that the home owners had painted their street numbers on the roof for the police chopper...

...but when we flew over the poorer, rougher part of town we saw that people there had painted completely different things for the police!

chewie_nz said:
if you haven't already found it yet try the new "google earth"

it's a globe made of statelite maps and hours and hours of looking at interesting things.

Does google earth zoom in that close?
if they do I'll find it and post a url.
Gonna look right now.

The main reason jet noise doesn't bother me is I used to make it :)
I've worked on fixed, upgraded, done regular maint, inspected, ate lunch on, and picked my nose in front of dam near every Navy Jet and receip engine that was in service between 1980, and 1999
I've slept between launches on the flight deck, and stood between cat 1 and 2 with everything from F-4J's to E2C's
I've been around teh world 3 times, and I'm convinced that the best place to live is at the end of a runway of a Military Master Jet Base:)

OK dl'd google earth typed in my address, you can't see the message, but you can see how close I live to the base. However the address is wrong, it shows me as living next door to where I live LOL

But either way Look at VA Beach VA zoom in on NAS Oceana. if anybody wants to see exactly where I live email me and I'll send you my address.

wolfen1086@yahoo.com

keep checking back every couple of month wolfen as they update the pics with better resolution.

currently i think the most detailed is baghdad (wonder why that is lol)

The highest resoloution area on GoogleEarth currently is Boston (specifically the northern area, the rest is below mediocre- you'll know the right bit when you see it). Other major cities in the US are also pretty high resoloution... Alot higher than anything in any other country. Google hired aircraft to take pictures, so there's some really high-res areas from those locations, and major landmark places all over the world are pretty high res, even if it's just for a small area around the building or whatever it is.

chewie_nz said:
keep checking back every couple of month wolfen as they update the pics with better resolution.

currently i think the most detailed is baghdad (wonder why that is lol)

Maybe so we can print it out somehow and use it for the bullseye on a dart board :)

A couple of years back a farmer in Shropshire England found that RAF pilots were using his farm as a fix when they were making mock attacks. He wrote in large letters on the roof of his farm house "Ef of Biggles and fly your plane else where". Well the word got out in the RAF and every one who could grab a plane went up to have a look at this notice. Well he got so much extra attention he had to paint out the notice

Great idea!

Which end of which runway?

Northwest, Northeast?
Southwest or southeast?
I can't read the runway numbers from the google photos :cry:

Back