Realm Banner.

Seehund

Banned
00000021.png

Once there was a common Nordic flag. It was called "Realm Banner" and was yellow with a red cross.

Exactly when it is from is unknown but approx. around the year 1397. Historical references to the Realm Banner are sporadic, but its existence is well documented by numerous contemporary sources describing the flag.

After 1430 the flag probably only had a ceremonial use. As a symbol it appears that the Realm Banner had been used in the Nordic countries in various contexts, among others as a symbol of the common Nordic Crown. They probably stopped using after 1523.

The only common Nordic flag that existed. And it was never abolished. Instead, it was forgotten - perhaps deliberately until mid-1990.

From the mid-1990s to 2007 it was used in Orkney to symbolize the archipelago. In 2007, a new flag was elected and the Realm Banner again became available to those who may wish to use it.

And I intend to. I am Danish born but historically and culturally, the Nordic countries are so closely related that I also very much feel as a Nordic citizen.

Back