Who is really in violation of the NPT, Iran or US

Uncle Sam

Any one who has spent more than a few hours looking into the "Iran Nuclear Crisis" will probably be aware of the hypocrisy surrounding this issue, for the rest of you here is a link to Chomsky's blog that highlights the more obvious transgressions.

I'd rather people read the blog than my poor description of it but if you really can't be bothered to click the link it points out that the US government aknowledges that Iran is not in breach of the NPT and this is whole affair is a question of "not trusting" Iran, while at the same time the US remains the single country in world to vote against key UN resolutions aimed at Non proliferation.

Theres this whole good v evil thing that I beleive in and think most Americans do. The US wants nuclear weapons to protect the free world, while Iran wants nukes to bully its neighbors. They dont need nuclear power, and even if they do shouldnt be trusted to keep it peaceful, especially when you have a fanatical religious government, and a president that wants to whipe Israel off the map.

NPT and violation...?

Uncle Sam said:
(...) Iran is not in breach of the NPT and this is whole affair is a question of "not trusting" Iran (...).

Didn't Ayatollah Mohajerani (one of Pres. Rafsanjani's deputies) in 1991 say: "since the enemy has atomic capabilities, Islamic countries must be armed with the same capacity."?

I do also recall that back in September 2003 Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati called for Irans withdrawal from the NPT?

Last edited:
sunb! said:
Didn't Ayatollah Mohajerani (one of Pres. Rafsanjani's deputies) in 1991 say: "since the enemy has atomic capabilities, Islamic countries must be armed with the same capacity."?

I do also recall that back in September 2003 Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati called for Irans withdrawal from the NPT?

It wouldn't surprise me if Chomsky said that the great flood in Genesis, or the eruption of Mount Vesuvius was thee fault of the U.S. and Isreal.

Aftr reading a paragraph or two of Chomsky's rantings quite a few years ago, I just wrote off anything that fanatic says.

Well, the responses to this post so far have been more than a little lacking in content, we have:

1) I'm a mullah and not British, therefore ignore the content of what is being said and look at the untrsuted sterotype instead.

2) The US has Nukes to protect the free world, Iran wants them to bully neighbours. There is still no evidence that Iran has the will or capability to produce nuclear weapons, my only source for this is the IAEA. But the point of my post was to ask who is in breach of the NPT not who do we believe is trying to make nuclear weapons or protect the free world.

Its a simple question, who is in breach of the NPT on balance of evidence gathered from non partisan sources.

Here uncle sam (nice name btw, especially for being rather anti-american) I am going to make your day, ready?

The United States of America is breaching the Non-Poliferation Treaty while the Islamic Republic of Iran is not in violation of the NPT.

untrsuted sterotype instead.

No no the mullah is not a crazy relgeious fool, hes a good man that has popular support of the people ....oh wait he doesnt sorry.

Last edited:
Uncle Sam said:
Well, the responses to this post so far have been more than a little lacking in content, we have:

1) I'm a mullah and not British, therefore ignore the content of what is being said and look at the untrsuted sterotype instead.

2) The US has Nukes to protect the free world, Iran wants them to bully neighbours. There is still no evidence that Iran has the will or capability to produce nuclear weapons, my only source for this is the IAEA. But the point of my post was to ask who is in breach of the NPT not who do we believe is trying to make nuclear weapons or protect the free world.

Its a simple question, who is in breach of the NPT on balance of evidence gathered from non partisan sources.

you got your response many times and it is trollish to act like this though!

Iran is in the violation of international laws.

phoenix80 said:
Iran is in the violation of international laws.

But how could a guy who calls himself a "critic of US foreign policy, anti-capitalist" say anything wrong when it comes to such a topic as this?

Fair play Rabs, but I don't hate the America, I was in Texas a few months ago drinking the fine home grown wine and smoking non cuban cigars, but you have given me an opportunity to take a shot at something which really bothers me. Why is critisim of US foreign policy equated with hate for America? I find this obscene and in direct contradiction to the spirit of your founding fathers. If their rejection of British injustice (a function of our colonial policy) in the Americas was seen in the same light as current anger with US foreign policy the Boston tea party would have comprised of cakes and refined chit chat rather than revolution.

It is not patriotic to defend your goverment no matter what they do, thats idiotic, and that goes for everyone no matter where they are from.

Uncle Sam said:
Fair play Rabs, but I don't hate the America, I was in Texas a few months ago drinking the fine home grown wine and smoking non cuban cigars, but you have given me an opportunity to take a shot at something which really bothers me. Why is critisim of US foreign policy equated with hate for America? I find this obscene and in direct contradiction to the spirit of your founding fathers. If their rejection of British injustice (a function of our colonial policy) in the Americas was seen in the same light as current anger with US foreign policy the Boston tea party would have comprised of cakes and refined chit chat rather than revolution.

It is not patriotic to defend your goverment no matter what they do, thats idiotic, and that goes for everyone no matter where they are from.

because there is little wrong with the US foreign policy

Whispering Death said:
But how could a guy who calls himself a "critic of US foreign policy, anti-capitalist" say anything wrong when it comes to such a topic as this?

It is the duty of anti american dummies to act like that. Chomsky is not an exception. is he?

I dont defend everything my government does. Our Immigration policy is a joke, and our tax system is absurdly flawed.

I just happen to think in this issue of the United States being in breach of the NPT there are external circumstances that have to be looked at.

Rabs, I appreciate your straight forward response. If understand what your saying its that you believe we have to treat the US differently or Iran differently with respesct to the international law that both countries have signed up to due to extenuating cumstances.

This view seems to be at the heart of most US foreign policy, and it is interpreted by a large portion of the world as "one rule for us and another rule for them" whatever the perceived merits of the extenuating cumstances if we break international law we send a clear signal to everyone else that the only law that counts is the law of the jungle.

Uncle Sam said:
This view seems to be at the heart of most US foreign policy, and it is interpreted by a large portion of the world as "one rule for us and another rule for them" whatever the perceived merits of the extenuating cumstances if we break international law we send a clear signal to everyone else that the only law that counts is the law of the jungle.

So what you're saying is that if America is allowed to have nuclear weapons, then Saddam Iraq and Hitler Germany should be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

Doing anything less would be hypocritical.

Preventing Iran from getting nuclear weaopns would be holding up the NPT's, however if Iran is developing is developing nuclear power, even if it is just energy use, not weapons, they must allow close observation and investigations by the IAEA, anything less and they are in violation of the NPT's. Now, as to how the US is in violation of this treaty I can only think of one way, we are not reducing our nuclear stockpile fast enough.

I'm sorry, but after reading that Deleted and then some of the replies I am convinced they all need to be sterilized, for their own safety as well as the rest of humanity.

Mod edit: Language

Last edited by a moderator:
I unfortunatly agree with the hawks on this on. Giving opportunities to make ICBM etc. to certain nation would be very risky to say the least. In the light of hypocrisy and humanist beliefs you could say that denying one what some other have, might be unjust. But in this respect I started believing that nations must have some tradition with the basics of human rights or agressive nationalism. I am already worried of Pakistan and India with these weapons but MAD seems to work for them. If a nation gets these weapons and it believes that the rewards is in the after life.... well MAD doesn't work anylonger, does it?

On the other hand I must admit that the point Uncle Sam tries to make should not be categorised as Anti-American. He can ask these questions because he's wondering about that. This doesn't make him an unworthy person who is trolling you...... home of the free remember? He can ask these question and not be hostil versus the US! So give him a break guys!

Back