This is really sad. "Britain may call on foreign armed police"

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Britain may call on foreign armed police
By Ben Leapman, Home Affairs Correspondent, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:56am BST 10/06/2007

Foreign Armed police may be needed to guard the London Olympics because too few British officers are trained to use guns, Scotland Yard has admitted.

Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, said the cost of training recruits to use guns may be prohibitive.

The Olympics are considered a prime terrorist target and the Government has estimated the cost of security at £600 million out of a total Olympics budget of £9 billion. Armed officers will be required to guard visiting dignitaries, athletes, the main Olympic Park and remote sports venues.

Britain is the only wealthy country in the world where police are not routinely armed and only about 6,000 out of 140,000 officers in England and Wales are trained to use guns.

Some competing nations may want to bring their own security teams, who could refuse to work in Britain unless they are allowed to carry weapons.

Sir Ian has now raised the prospect of "borrowing" foreign armed officers.

"The principle must be that we don't want armed foreign police, but there's a 'but' - and the 'but' is twofold," he told a meeting of the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA).

"One, you may not be able to get any foreign police unless they are armed, because they won't feel easy being unarmed in public scenarios like that. Two, do we actually have, in this case, sufficient capacity to have enough armed officers to do the job? If we don't, then we are talking about a training requirement of very significant expenditure for a period of eight weeks.

"We can't close the door, but we probably have to make that decision within the next 12 months."

The use of foreign armed police on British streets would raise serious questions over who would be held responsible if something went wrong.

Critics condemned the proposal and called for extra funds to ensure enough British officers are trained by 2012.

Damian Hockney, a member of the MPA, said: "We should not be reliant in any way on police officers from other countries. What if one of these foreign officers shoots somebody? It's amazing to suggest that we cannot train enough armed officers of our own. We should start now."

Traditionally there have been strict curbs on police operating outside their home countries. When unarmed British officers were deployed in Germany during last year's World Cup, they had to be "sworn in" as temporary German officers.

The Metropolitan Police, Britain's biggest force, has 2,600 firearms-trained officers. Many are routinely deployed to protect key buildings, such as Parliament, Buckingham Palace and foreign embassies.

They cannot be redeployed to the Olympic zone during the Games because security at sensitive buildings will need to be maintained, or even strengthened, while the games are on.

The Met will be able to borrow armed officers from provincial British police forces during the Olympics, but even this may not provide enough strength.

Once again the idea of disarming the populace has back fired on the Brits. Durign WWII they needed arms to defend their shores and now they don't have enough Law Enforcement Officers with any firearm experience.

Here in the USA, most cops have some past experience with firearms. And the idea of plice being armed isn't something strange. Why are our Police Armed? Because we know that talking to crimianls really nicely doesn't damn work.

I say enough is enough. The brits have dug themselves in a ditch that they cannot pull themselves out of. Let this be a lesson to you in the United kingdom, disarming yourselves only helps the badguy.

Where you think those police are coming from Luis? Paid vacation to the Olympics for many an American LEO. Not a bad working holiday mate. ;)

Oh, I'm not saying that we once again should help out our long lost brothers in the UK. I'm just saying that this is a sad turn of events. If they ask for American police..... I'll throw my hat in the ring. Paid trip to the UK during the Olympics and I can actually carry my firearm for self defense while I'm there.

HOT DAMN! WHERE CAN I SIGN UP?

It's just a sad turn of events for them. They don't even have enough cops trained with firearm let alone they are actually thinking that it's cheaper to use foreign cops instead of train their own police. If that's the case then I guess I'll go...

Oh, I'm not saying that we once again should help out our long lost brothers in the UK. I'm just saying that this is a sad turn of events. If they ask for American police..... I'll throw my hat in the ring. Paid trip to the UK during the Olympics and I can actually carry my firearm for self defense while I'm there.

HOT DAMN! WHERE CAN I SIGN UP?

It's just a sad turn of events for them. They don't even have enough cops trained with firearm let alone they are actually thinking that it's cheaper to use foreign cops instead of train their own police. If that's the case then I guess I'll go...

Take a time, man. It will be in 2012.

Once again the idea of disarming the populace has back fired on the Brits. Durign WWII they needed arms to defend their shores and now they don't have enough Law Enforcement Officers with any firearm experience.

Here in the USA, most cops have some past experience with firearms. And the idea of plice being armed isn't something strange. Why are our Police Armed? Because we know that talking to crimianls really nicely doesn't damn work.

I say enough is enough. The brits have dug themselves in a ditch that they cannot pull themselves out of. Let this be a lesson to you in the United kingdom, disarming yourselves only helps the badguy.

[/size]

Naah - you got it all wrong. We aren't disarmed. Only the law-abiding sound citizens have been disarmed. My 5 shot skeet gun has gone to Wisconsin with a friend, for stopping bear.

We've got an enormous criminal poulation, armed to the teeth with top kit. Shoot outs on the streets. Our police are far too busy with parking tickets and kids dropping sweet wrappers or saying the 'gay' word to police the Olympics properly. They are almost sure to be there, but not working.

They are not fools ;they know that on the Olympic site, the neighbourhood of the East End bombers, we are building the biggest Mosque in Europe, if not in the World, to squeeze in another 70,000. Just another trojan horse magnet.

Roll over, pay the Dane-geld.

So boys, its all yours. In fact, why don't you have it?

First thing we'd need to do is run your lemmings, Pakistani-type, into the bloody channel. Other than that you might want to move because New Jersey's toxic landfills are might near full laddie. ;)

Well, i am nostalgic for 4-mile run drive, Arlington and Great Falls and Shenandoah. Hello, I'm singing my sea shanties here. Think yourself lucky there's no sound.

PS. Understand that happy campers who like our culture are welcome, but our culture is fast being systematically eroded.

Not on my watch.

COMMAND THE FUTURE, CONQUER THE PAST.

Last edited:
Back