Really need some information PLEASE READ

zaccs2005

Alright guys so for about a year now, I've been seriously considering joining the U.S Army, I'm only 14, gonna turn 15 really soon, but this is all I've been thinking about. I know I have a lot of time to think and all that, everyone tells me that and it gets annoying but I know this is what I want to do,but theres one problem, I have asthma, its manageable and I never really need my inhaler, it only flares up if its cold out or if I sprint as fast as I can, I want to know if theres any way I can join with this? I might even grow out of it before I actually go and sign papers, and another thing, I originally wanted to join the Marines because i've heard better things about the marines than the army, but I heard asthma is an instant DQ? This has really been bothering me, I don't want this stupid condition stopping me from living a dream, are there any guys on here who have had this problem or have actually gotten into the military with asthma? Please respond guys, I need help. OH AND ALSO, Will that gas chamber they put you in at basic flare my asthma up?

It's a DQ after your 13th birthday. You might try to get a waiver after passing a function test, but waivers are now hard to come by.

Is that the only way around it? A waiver? How would I get one and if by that time it doesen't flare up anymore can't I just tell them I dont have it?

If you have asthma, going into the gas chamber could be life threatening.
Being stuck in a combat zone without an inhaler would make you useless and a strain on the others.

Is that the only way around it? A waiver? How would I get one and if by that time it doesen't flare up anymore can't I just tell them I dont have it?

The last thing you want to do is lie on your application, and say that you don't have it, regardless of how long it's been under control. The best you can do is be honest, and try to get a waiver. As for getting ahold of one...ask a recruiter how.

I've heard that some people have joined the army with asthma though..There had to be a way that they got in and went through basic and that gas chamber.

And to 42RM, I don't really need my inhaler, I haven't used it in years. I'm sure if there is ever a time where i'm in combat it wont bother me because like I said, if it does flare up, it just makes me wheeze a little and only happens when I run in cold weather or sprint full speed.

And to 42RM, I don't really need my inhaler, I haven't used it in years. I'm sure if there is ever a time where i'm in combat it wont bother me because like I said, if it does flare up, it just makes me wheeze a little and only happens when I run in cold weather or sprint full speed.
Your body has never been exposed to the enormous pressure that occur during combat, so you don´t know how you will react.

It is a chance that you should not take - you can get your mates killed at that expense.

Thats the last thing I would want to happen but hear me out, My asthma does notbother me any more. Like I haven't had an attack since I was like I think 6 years old. There has to be a way around it because I'm not gonna let a stupid condition like this stop me from doing something I want to do, I'm gonna goto a recruiter soon and ask about one of those waivers, my uncle made it through bt with asthma during vietnam so if he can do it I should be able to.

If you tell them you don't have it and then you have an attack, it's called fraudulent enlistment.

Well like, I never got tested for it after the age of 13, so I dont even know if I still actually have it, I'm gonna try either way and If I cant join then i dont know what im gonna do

Well like, I never got tested for it after the age of 13, so I dont even know if I still actually have it, I'm gonna try either way and If I cant join then i dont know what im gonna do

Don't rush anything you are 14, there's nothing wrong with not really knowing what you are going to do yet with your life, there are a mess of kid's in that same category as you.

You are at a junction where you can explore what suits you and whats tangible to you, try deciding a trade or career field you want to do, even if you have to do it as a civilian, and work towards the education to get there. You are never shut out of your dreams as long as you never count yourself out of the fight, the biggest thing stopping you from finding satifcation in life is YOU.

As for your enlistment, the gentlemen who know their stuff have already spoke to you.

The Armed Forces is not an equal opprotunity employer and they have the recruiting standards they use today from experiance based off over 200 years of being in the business. They know the risks and if you are deemed one, for the sake of other's lives admit that.

Like I said, your 14, when you are 18 you may have a 180 in what you want to do with your life.

Last edited:
Very true Yossarian, like I can't see myself doing anything else other than serving my country, I just want to help. I've always wanted to be a soldier ever since I was like 4 years old xD but now its like reallllllly brushing up on me and its all I can think about. I'm gonna go for a check up and see if I still have this asthma, I've been running every day and building stamina so hopefully everything works out. :pray:

Honestly if you can put your hand on your heart and say you dont have it and havent for years then I reckon you should just forget about it.
If you still carry an inhaler or know where one is on the other hand then forget it.

I agree- if he really has asthma. Doctors prescribe it as easy as anything and if he hasnt had an 'attack' in memory I reckon he hasnt got anything other then a lack of fitness.
If he can forget it and live the next three years then pass basic without an inhaler then he shouldnt let some quack doctor hold him back.

I agree- if he really has asthma. Doctors prescribe it as easy as anything and if he hasnt had an 'attack' in memory I reckon he hasnt got anything other then a lack of fitness.
If he can forget it and live the next three years then pass basic without an inhaler then he shouldnt let some quack doctor hold him back.
Not how it works.

@ zaccs2005

IF you are no longer having symptoms, using an inhaler, etc, the FIRST thing you want to do is get all your med docs together and go see a recruiter. He or She will have you write a hand written statement as welll as a statement of level of activity. The meps doctors will review all of that and determine if you are waiverable. If you are waiverable, they will tell you exactly what tests you need, a pulmonary function test, etc. You will have to go obtain them, submit them back and hope for the best.

Why not join the Navy or the Airforce were you don't have run around with a load on your back that would kill a mule. Also remember that in the army you can wind up going from the desert to arctic conditions, which can bring down the fittest of men. I can understand you wanting to serve, but you are a part of team and the last thing they need is a weak link

Thanks for your responses. I haven't had an attack since I was very young, I can't even remember actually haha, I don't carry around an inhaler anymore and I never actually did, only for sports because I would get a little winded but that might have been more of me just being tired than my asthma, it's in a remission I guess because after the age of I think 10, it just didn't really bother me except for when I sprinted as fast as possible ( for a long amount of time, repeatedly) or if its cold out and I have to run. And the reason I don't want to join the air force or the navy is because theres nothing in those branches that interests me, I like the ground better than the air or sea, if I hopefully get to join the army, I would either try to go as a 19D or an 11b (or 11x, I really don't know how that works).

And also I don't have a lack of fitness, I play football and run every day, I'm trying to stay as fit as I can and im also trying to gain stamina to prepare for when this stuff actually comes down and lands in my face.

Back