Do you really belive that Iraq is second Vietnam for USA?

Yes I think anything that would help identify possible IEDs would be a great help and save many lives. Perhaps if this could be achieved it may help overcome some public resistance to the war. Unfortunately what started as apathy is now gaining momentum as open resistance. Reversing public opinion will be the only thing that will prevent this turning into Vietnam II.

Sad!

The War in Iraq is more similar to the Vietnam War, than it is dissimilar to the Vietnam War.

I can only hope for a dissimilar outcome.

I think there is potential for gear that will be quite helpful against insurgency, though the money and time isn't there to make it happen quite fast enough. Things like acoustic sensors that pinpoint the location of snipers, vehicles with better protection from IEDs and mines, and better communications and surveillance technology are what will help our efforts, not bigger guns or body armor. As the American public becomes more dissatisfied, however, the chances of such equipment reaching the troops drop.

Huh??

What are the Cougar and Buffalo? Both made sepcifically for anti-IED use, yes I saw the videos for them, first it was an 1967 Ford pickup then a Buffalo then a Cougar, both the Buffalo and Cougar didn't even rock when the IED went off.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/b/buffalo.htm

http://defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=874

You don't see alot of what the military has. I went to the Mounted Warrior Symposium here at Fort Knox, week long symposium of the Army and Marines showing off their latest toys...........and I was amazed at the stuff they had. The Army recently brought back the Commando Armored Car series for use.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicules_a_roues/V-150/Cadillac_Gage_V150_decoupe_USA_01.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicules_a_roues/V-150/V-150_Etats_Unis_description.htm&h=323&w=640&sz=84&hl=en&start=11&tbnid=pGamgLGJTc39oM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCommando%2BArmored%2BVehicle%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

The M1A2 SEP was armed with the In-Bore Mounted M2QB 12.7x99mm (.50cal) Anti-Sniper Device.

They now have six different robotic recon models to send into buildings, rather than troops.

IR sensors are being used to determine a human presents on the other side of a wall.

There was a ton more stuff they had, like comm's gear and survalliance gear. I sat talking to a vendor on these awsome little camera's and doodad's they had for survalliance and recon.......not only because it was amazing but because not only can they be used for combat use but for my line of work, Search And Rescue.

BAE and Team Soldier have already come out with a joint Night Vision/Thermal veiwer goggle system.........smaller than current systems, and yes I got to use it, spying on the small finch birds above in the rafters.

All of this isn't propsed gear, or potential gear.......it's all stuff being used, at every both they had items used in theater by troops and sent back.

Then they had a very interesting booth section on sentinal weapons, yup thats right, a 20, 30 or 40mm gun using a IR system to distinguish friendlies from OPFOR's, all a friendly has to do is us a tracker on their gear, and if your not friendly it pumps 2,000 rounds of 20,30 or 40mm ammo of any choice the operator wants. This is an unmanned system, similar to Metal Storm but prefected and is being used.

So ya, the US is using quite a bit of defense spending on gear to help fight the insurgency.:camo:

Last edited:
It is a cat and mouse game with IEDs, as we improve the defenses against such things in Iraq, the enemy changes tactics and or makes IEDs to deal with our improved defenses against IEDs.
The very nature of IEDs means the side employing the IED will have the upper hand, in this case our enemy.

I've yet to see any vehicle that can withstand an IED hit, as an IED can be another vehicle parked along side the road with tons of elxplosives packed inside. Or a building can be blown over on top of a Tank, stopping the Tank, and then the Tank is set ablaze.

The EOD Tech Center is trying to come up with ways to keep the US Military safer in Iraq in relation to the IED threat, but the IED builders are the Cat in this game, with the US playing the role of Mouse.

It is a cat and mouse game with IEDs, as we improve the defenses against such things in Iraq, the enemy changes tactics and or makes IEDs to deal with our improved defenses against IEDs.
The very nature of IEDs means the side employing the IED will have the upper hand, in this case our enemy.

I've yet to see any vehicle that can withstand an IED hit, as an IED can be another vehicle parked along side the road with tons of elxplosives packed inside. Or a building can be blown over on top of a Tank, stopping the Tank, and then the Tank is set ablaze.

The EOD Tech Center is trying to come up with ways to keep the US Military safer in Iraq in relation to the IED threat, but the IED builders are the Cat in this game, with the US playing the role of Mouse.

http://www.forceprotectioninc.com/news/video.html?video=discovery

The Buffalo seems to be what we need and are using.

Well, that's a much safer way to look for Landmines.
I remember the days when we had to use a Mine Detector by hand and out in the open.

Well, that's a much safer way to look for Landmines.
I remember the days when we had to use a Mine Detector by hand and out in the open.

I saw a very interesting program on mine detection devices and techniques, some where just ludicrous.

Well using a Mine Detector was a step up from using a Probe, and using a Probe was a step up from using a Bayonet, the use of a Bayonet a definite improvement over just sending out a bunch of Troops on foot.

Thing you have to remember about equipment and Iraq today is during the Vietnam War the equipment used may look antiquated by today's standards, but back then that stuff was cutting edge stuff, high tech, state of the art equipment.

Well using a Mine Detector was a step up from using a Probe, and using a Probe was a step up from using a Bayonet, the use of a Bayonet a definite improvement over just sending out a bunch of Troops on foot.

Thing you have to remember about equipment and Iraq today is during the Vietnam War the equipment used may look antiquated by today's standards, but back then that stuff was cutting edge stuff, high tech, state of the art equipment.

Very true.

Back