Reality sets in about Obama (Washington Times - OP-ED:)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Reality sets in about Obama - Liberals lament flim-flam candidate

Washington Times - OP-ED:

I was among the millions of Americans to whom such faded words as "change" and "hope" in political campaigns began to brighten as Barack Obama was energizing both new votes while tempering the hardened skepticism of those of us who had been gulled by glowing politicians who wound up like the enticing con man played by Robert Preston in the classic movie, "The Music Man." Now, more of Mr. Obama's followers are feeling newly gulled by him.

Mr. Obama's deflation has not been due to ruthless opposition research by John McCain's team but by the "change" candidate himself. Like millions of Americans, I, for a time, was buoyed - by the real-time prospect of our first black president and much more by the likelihood that Mr. Obama would pierce the dense hypocrisy and insatiable power-grabbing of current American politics. Also, as a former teacher of constitutional law, Mr. Obama gave me "hope I could believe in" that he would rescue the Constitution's separation of powers, resuscitate the Bill of Rights and begin to restore our reputation around the world as a truly law-abiding nation.

Savoring the high expectations he had secured among so many Americans, Mr. Obama has decided he can also come closer to securing the Oval Office by softening his starlight enough to change some of his principles toward the calming center of our stormy political waters. In a defense by Dan Gerstein, a New York political consultant - echoing what you'll be hearing more of from Mr. Obama's campaign operatives - the gossamer script goes: "He is trying to broaden his appeal to a larger electorate and to be true to this postpartisan, unifying message that he's been campaigning on."

But instead of the ennobling clarion trombones of change we have been promised, this "adjusting" of one's principles has long been the common juggling of our common politicians. Accordingly, as his presidential campaign gathered such momentum, Mr. Obama, with justifiable pride, pointed to the resounding fact that most of the bountiful funds he was raising came from small donors, "the people," not the sort of supporters who move above us in private jet planes.

But after abandoning his pledge to abide by public financing, this apostle of cleansing the political culture is now going after the high rollers. As the July 3 New York Times reported, "Last week, the Obama campaign collected about $5 million at an event featuring celebrities in Los Angeles. The evening began with a dinner at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion for more than 200 people who had contributed $28,500 per couple, or raised $50,000."

Then there is the current furor among a rising number of Obama contributors with wallets far below the $50,000-a-pop crowd about his change on the "compromise" FISA Amendments Act of 2008 that passed the House and Senate, and has been signed by the grateful president. The flimflam candidate had assured his faithful enthusiasts that he would filibuster this bill (which will immunize the telecommunications companies that enabled the president to break the law in his once-secret warrantless wiretapping) that turned our privacy rights upside down and out.

Now, by dismissing the scores of lawsuits against these companies from Americans wanting to know whether they've been ensnared in this giant government-spun Web, the president and such supporters as Obama will have made it close to impossible to conduct meaningful investigations of the intricate nexus of the ways these telecommunications giants can collect leads to Americans with no connections to terrorism - and could continue to so as long as they're assured by a future lawless administration that national security demands breaking another law.

But what could be wrong with a new Obama approach - to assert his religious faith by, if elected, expanding the government funding of faith-based social services through churches and other religious institutions? The former constitutional law professor does avoid one separation-of-church-and-state problem by pledging that the recipients of these taxpayer funds could not engage in hiring discrimination on the basis of an employee's religion, thereby not limiting those hired to that particular faith.

However, I expect Professor Obama knows of the importance in constitutional case law of the need to avoid excessive entanglements of the state with religious institutions. To prevent churches and other religious groups that get government funds from discrimination in their employment practices and proselytizing with taxpayers' money will require careful and extensive monitoring by the state.

Says the Rev. C. Welton Gaddy, a Baptist minister and president of the Interfaith Alliance, in the July 4 Jewish Week: "You can say none of this money should be used for proselytizing or that there shouldn't be discrimination, but what does that mean for the little storefront agency, where there can be a subtle or even more blatant form of discrimination, and where proselytizing does occur?" And not just storefront recipients.

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/jul/21/reality-sets-in-about-obama/

But Mr. Obama insists this program will be the "moral center" of his administration. Just where is his own center of credibility?

I remember the surge of hope for a national change as a child, during the Great Depression, when, while my mother would walk blocks to save a few cents on food, there came Franklin Delano Roosevelt! I haven't seen such a surge since Mr. Obama's first chorus, but I can no longer believe in this messenger of such tidings.

thats called free campaign support...

complete and utter BS...oh yeah, didn't the NWT officially enforce McCain before the primaries?

I think we need to go back to the late 1800's where newspapers put thier political allegiance on the header on the front page. The NY Times would be a democrat newspaper.

Cause everyone knows the Washington Times is an unbiased source. *rolls eyes*

The New York time printed Obama's editorial but not McCain's... The Media is following Obama around like he is damn Jesus in his little trip to the Middle East but they don't even give McCain airtime for his trips to the Middle East...

WNxRogue, stop being the typical liberal and think for yourself. Just because Fox News is a little to the center does not mean that the rest of the press isn't liberally biased. They are and they're all acting as Obama's press secretaries.

The New York time printed Obama's editorial but not McCain's... The Media is following Obama around like he is damn Jesus in his little trip to the Middle East but they don't even give McCain airtime for his trips to the Middle East...

I was not commenting on the New York Times, I was commenting on the Washington Times, which is considered to be the most conservative paper in the country. Tie that in with the fact that its an Op-Ed article, and you can see why it may not be exactly the most credible source.

WNxRogue, stop being the typical liberal and think for yourself. Just because Fox News is a little to the center does not mean that the rest of the press isn't liberally biased. They are and they're all acting as Obama's press secretaries.

5.56, stop being the typical conservative and blame the "liberal media" for your own party's shortcomings. And reread my post, I never once mentioned Fox or any other news source, I specifically said the Washington Times. Which is known as a conservative leaning paper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Times#Political_leanings

Even a wiki about it.

I don't think their is a major newspaper in the states thats conservative leaning.

Wiki is not reliable, anyone can manipulate info there and they do so fairly regularly.

Doody

There is a difference. The NYT does have conservative journalists including David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer, and William Kristol. While the paper might lean democrat the right does have a voice. I cannot say the same thing about the Washington Times, I mean can anyone name the liberals on ANY Conservative paper? Either they don't exist or they are the Alan Colmes "puppet" liberal.

Thats my biggest problem with the right now, instead of acknowledging their problems and fixing them they do everything to avoid doing so. Either they fail to acknowledge the problem, dismiss it, or attempt to pass the blame to the left. They use the media as an instrument to avoid blame.

So I think WNxRogue is correct to that the Washington Times is bias. BTW the owner of the Washington Times Sun Myung Moon thinks he's a reincarnation of Jesus Christ and has created a entire religon to...himself. That's NOT a exaggeration. Its like having Jim Jones running a newspaper.

Fox News a little to the center? To the center of what? Nazi Germany's DAS REICH newspaper? Thats so typically conservative; if the facts don't fit, distort the facts to make your case. For the record, Fox News is about as moderate as John McCain is a "Liberal".

One other thing, the NYT rejected the DRAFT of the McCain article because the article didn't meet their journalistic standards. They didn't reject the article outright, they asked him to resubmit it, which he will. The NYT has published more than 6 articles written by McCain since 1996. The reason it was denied was that it was a Obama Slam article but offered no information about HIS platform. The NYTimes rules say criticizing your opponent is allowed as long as you discuss YOUR platform as well. So Your allegation of bias is baseless.

AikiRooster

WxRogue already mentioned the Washington Times. I'll Add the NY Post, the Wall Street Journal, The Houston Chronicle, Editor and Publisher, the Shreveport Times and about a zillion others. If I did a head count a would wager there more CONSERVATIVE newspapers than liberal ones.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty safe to say that the Washington Times can be discounted.
Also don't take Korean Christians seriously. Please don't.

Even if it was so, that's only one. My point exactly! Just because they are not as liberal as the others doesn't make them conservative. Better, but much room for improvement.

Even if it was so, that's only one. My point exactly! Just because they are not as liberal as the others doesn't make them conservative. Better, but much room for improvement.

AikiRooster

I am sorry but you totally wrong. There are plenty of conservative News papers, you just don't read them.

NY Post, the Wall Street Journal, Forbes Magazine, The Houston Chronicle, Editor and Publisher, the Shreveport Times, the Washington Times, The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Newsday,

Furthermore the top journalists also tend to be conservative even if they work for a more liberal newspaper

A study done showed that 79% of all OP-ED in American Newspapers came from Conservative columnists.

http://mediamatters.org/reports/oped/report

You won't convince me otherwise. Liberal garbage.

My friend, I mean no disrespect, So far you repeated that the claim the media has a liberal bias many times on many threads, but you done nothing to actually prove that claim. Its clear to me that you are just repeating propaganda not actually doing research yourself, I would advise not believe everything your told so readily. I don't trust everything the Democrats say either without checking.

Are the liberals in the media? Of course. Mostly on the East and West Coast. But there is far more conservative media, in print, on TV, and especially on the air. This is normal when you consider the fact that conservatives such as Sun Myung Moon, Rupert Murdock, Richard Scarif, The Mays Brothers, not to mention the Corporate America (Disney, Time-Warner, Microsoft) happen to own most of it. All you have to do is to look at who controls what and the answer of who controls the media is obvious...

But when you close your mind off automatically to any type of counter-argument because it questions what you WISH to be true is to simply live in ignorance.

Last edited:
The hardcore conservatives always think every paper is totally liberal and the hardcore liberals think every news outlet is 100% conservative biased. It's always going to be that way.

I, personally, find the majority of American TV news to be biased towards the right, while the printed news favors the liberals... but that's just what I've read/watched so far.

The hardcore conservatives always think every paper is totally liberal and the hardcore liberals think every news outlet is 100% conservative biased. It's always going to be that way.

I, personally, find the majority of American TV news to be biased towards the right, while the printed news favors the liberals... but that's just what I've read/watched so far.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think its 100% conservative, I think its 60-70%. The reason is that most liberals populate fewer (but larger) states, mainly NY, IL, CA. While conservatives live in more but less populated states. Therefore its normal to have more conservative news papers than liberal ones.

I point I will concede is that liberal papers the NYT, the WP, Chicago Tribune, The Seattle Times, and The LA Times are much more well known and have a better reputation hence the "liberal bias" moniker. Also keep in mind that the NYT, the Chicago Tribune and the Herald Tribine are all owned by the same media group.

However keep in mind that the Print media is a dying media outlet with very low circulation compared to the Radio and TV News and as you have said thats largly controlled by conservatives.

On a slightly off topic note:

Ex-White House Press Secretary Scott McCellan was on Chris Matthews last tonight where he publically admitted that the White House passed GOP talking points directly to the very liberal Fox News.

Now not exactly a shocking relavation but its intresting to hear a public confession from someone so high up in the WH. Its also funny because thats technically a violation of the Geneva conventions which forbids private media being used for government propaganda.

The interview is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzAuXYfWuEI

I would just love to know what exactly the WH did to Scotty that pissed him off so much...

Back