Who was the real winner in Korean War?

--
Boots

December 9th, 2004  
flyingsnow

Topic: Who was the real winner in Korean War?

Can anayone tell me who was the real winner in the Korean War whitch happened more than 50 years ago ? I noticed that almost every country who had joined war claimed she had won this war . It seems that there were no failure side in that war if merely judge from the propaganda made by the involved nation . I know this was not the truth about this war.What was the truth indeed? Who was the authentic winner ? North Korea? South? US? China? or any other country ?

I am a non-English speaker ,please do not laugh at my poor English! Thank you!
Thank you for your reply !
December 9th, 2004  
A Can of Man

South Korea, US and allies won it... if any side must be declared winner.
This is because the initial objectives were to maintain the existence of South Korea with relatively the same boundary (i.e. keep Seoul).
The Communist forces' original objective was to unify Korea under the North Korean leadership. This failed.
So because of this, it's probably easier to say South Korea and allies were the winners.
The Chinese were also partial winners in that they secured their objective as well.
North Koreans were the definate losers.
December 9th, 2004  
jz

There is no winner.
Only ten thousands of cold bodies were left in Korea.
--
Boots
December 9th, 2004  
dragon

Chinese Communist Army entered the war when the Allied forces headed by US drove the North Korean Army close to the Yalu river on the border between North Korea and China and the Korea War ended at 38th line across the middle of the korean peninsula. That is the chinese drove the Allied forces from the Yalu River back to 38th line. So the answer to your question is obvious.

Averell Harriman called it "a sour little war". Republicans called it "the foreign policy blunder of the century" and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Omar Bradley called it "the wrong war in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong enemy".
December 10th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Everyone's got their little criticisms.
But here's the point:
Allied original objectives: Secure a free non-Communist South Korean state.
North Korean original objectives: Unify Korea under Communism.
At the end: South Korea remains and more or less at the same boundary.

Really it was a draw, but if anyone *must* be declared winner it would be South Korea and the UN forces.

Chinese objectives were to secure a Communist North Korea and they achieved that as well, so for sure it was a good result for the Chinese.
December 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Let me expand on what 13th_redneck said:

North Korean Objective: Unite Korean Penninsula under Communist Rule
Mission Failed
South Korean Objective: Remain an Independent Country
Mission Accomplished
UN Primary Objective: Liberate South Korea
Mission Accomplished
UN Secondary Objective: Unite Korea under non-Communist rule
Mission Failed
Chinese Primary Objective: Re-establish Chinese rule of North Korea
Mission Accomplished
Chinese Secondary Objective: Unite Korea under Communist Rule
Mission Failed

The only definite loser there looks like North Korea. South Korea was a winner. China and UN got done what the intended so they both are sortof winners too.

Because the war ended in a stalemate, nobody was completely happy with the result of course.
December 10th, 2004  
flyingsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Everyone's got their little criticisms.
But here's the point:
Allied original objectives: Secure a free non-Communist South Korean state.
North Korean original objectives: Unify Korea under Communism.
At the end: South Korea remains and more or less at the same boundary.

Really it was a draw, but if anyone *must* be declared winner it would be South Korea and the UN forces.

Chinese objectives were to secure a Communist North Korea and they achieved that as well, so for sure it was a good result for the Chinese.
You said well. In this sense, North Korea lost that war.
December 10th, 2004  
flyingsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Let me expand on what 13th_redneck said:

North Korean Objective: Unite Korean Penninsula under Communist Rule
Mission Failed
South Korean Objective: Remain an Independent Country
Mission Accomplished
UN Primary Objective: Liberate South Korea
Mission Accomplished
UN Secondary Objective: Unite Korea under non-Communist rule
Mission Failed
Chinese Primary Objective: Re-establish Chinese rule of North Korea
Mission Accomplished
Chinese Secondary Objective: Unite Korea under Communist Rule
Mission Failed

The only definite loser there looks like North Korea. South Korea was a winner. China and UN got done what the intended so they both are sortof winners too.

Because the war ended in a stalemate, nobody was completely happy with the result of course.

well, what would happen if US-led forces defeaded North Korea and then united with South Korea in 1950 Korean war ? Would fomer Soviet intervene at that time?
December 10th, 2004  
MadeInChina

um... if you go to north korea, the statues and musems of the korean war didnt even mention the chinese, tahts pretty insulting, since china had to risk the lives of thousands of troop sjsut to defend the country..

in those statues and musems, it is basically all norther kroean soldiers and their works... btw, where was the nk army during 1953????
December 10th, 2004  
A Can of Man

North Koreans... greatful lot aren't they?
Heck after all, it was the Chinese who sacrificed the most for that war.