Who was the real winner in Korean War? - Page 5

--
Boots

December 14th, 2004  
Redleg

I wont tolerate any more off topic posts in here now!

Stay on topic from now on, or face the consequences!

Thanks.
December 15th, 2004  
LIPS

I would have to say Democracy was the real winner in this conflict.
December 24th, 2004  
Charge 7

Technically speaking, nobody won that conflict because it actually never ended. There never _was_ a declared end to the war - just the longest standing truce in history. As to actuallity, the fact that South Korea still exists answers that one. North Korea didn't "win" squat. It attacked South Korea and paid the consequences. It was allowed to remain in existence in order not to enlarge the conflict into WWIII by causing the Soviet Union to come in on its side. We now know that Soviet pilots flew North Korean marked jets so it was that close as it was.
--
Boots
December 24th, 2004  
Damien435

Topic: Re: Who was the real winner in Korean War?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsnow
Can anayone tell me who was the real winner in the Korean War whitch happened more than 50 years ago ? I noticed that almost every country who had joined war claimed she had won this war . It seems that there were no failure side in that war if merely judge from the propaganda made by the involved nation . I know this was not the truth about this war.What was the truth indeed? Who was the authentic winner ? North Korea? South? US? China? or any other country ?

I am a non-English speaker ,please do not laugh at my poor English! Thank you!
Thank you for your reply !
The war is not over, a cease-fire was signed 50 years ago but a peace treaty has never been signed, and North Korea is constantly preparing for war with South Korea, they have plans to destroy dams, flooding the south, and are constantly digging tunnels into South Korea. Almost ten thousand American Troops are stationed in South Korea. I must say though, I think that South Korea came out on top when the cease-fire was signed, they gained more territory and look at the two countries, the North Korean's are almost all in poverty while South Korean's enjoy happy lives with plenty of food and a warm bed. We have South Korean made cars and electronics here in America, but nothing from North Korea. I have seen satellite photos taken of the region at night, their are thousands of yellow dots in China, hundreds in South Korea, but only two in North Korea, Pyongyang and some town about 20 miles away where all the people who work for the social elite of North Korea live. Remember when a 210,000 ton fuel transport train exploiding in North Korea earlier this year? Probably not, but at first it was excused as accidental but now investigators think it was an assassination attempt and that the train was supposed to explode while passing by the train carrying Kim Jong Il (sorry, I am tired, is that the right name?) but it exploded to late.
December 24th, 2004  
A Can of Man

There's what the paper says and what reality says.
It's hard to CLEARLY say who won. I'd really call it a stalemate because both China and the UN met their objectives.

I wouldn't say democracy was the winner. South Korea's finest hours in the past 50 years were actually under dictatorship. Ironic but true.
December 24th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsnow
well, what would happen if US-led forces defeaded North Korea and then united with South Korea in 1950 Korean war ? Would fomer Soviet intervene at that time?
That's doubtful. They didn't want it to touch off a conflict in Europe by intervening. They might have, but its probably unlikely.

Considering the level of gratitude NK has for China saving their asses, its a wonder that the PRC still has anything to do with them. That was a lot sons of China that gave their lives to allow NK to continue to exist.
But you say that like China did nto benefit at all from aiding North Korea which is very inaccurate, China entered the war for two reasons A. MacArthur had spoken many times of invading China and they felt threatened and B. China did not want democracy right on it's doorstep, they wanted a buffer between Democracy and China and they got it.
December 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

More correctly, they wanted a buffer between themselves and any nations allied with the United States. The did not fear democracy IMHO. The Communist leaders of China were terrified of any combination of events that might have led to them being overthrown from power, and to this day they still are regularly spinning off "everybody's out to get us!" style propaganda. Its being done to a lesser degree these days, and thank goodness for that.
December 26th, 2004  
Damien

In war, there are no winners, only those who manage to make it home to their loved ones.
December 27th, 2004  
Damien435

Woah, too many Damien's.
December 27th, 2004  
Damien

I though it was only you and me... and damoen...