Boots

December 10th, 2004  
EagleZtrike

probably south korea and united states won it
December 11th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsnow
well, what would happen if US-led forces defeaded North Korea and then united with South Korea in 1950 Korean war ? Would fomer Soviet intervene at that time?
That's doubtful. They didn't want it to touch off a conflict in Europe by intervening. They might have, but its probably unlikely.

Considering the level of gratitude NK has for China saving their asses, its a wonder that the PRC still has anything to do with them. That was a lot sons of China that gave their lives to allow NK to continue to exist.

By the way, its often argued that MacArthur's decision to continue into North Korea was a stupid one, but it makes sense actually. Remove the aggressor nation from the equation so the USA and UN don't have to fight them again and again, and you already had the Seoul government ready to take over from there. Had China stayed out of it, Korea of today would be united and modern NK wouldn't be such an awful mess.
December 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The USSR did lend help by having Soviet fighter pilots go up against American fighter pilots. However, I think that's pretty much the extent of the aid they were willing to give in terms of military action. If the USSR lost North Korea, they may have accepted those losses despite the threat to Vladivostok.
--
Boots
December 11th, 2004  
Kinection

I've heard that the South Korean military didn't do too much in the Korean war either, most of the work was handled by the US.
December 11th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

SK military was mostly destroyed with the remainder desperately trying to hold Pusan. I don't know that they could do much more.
December 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Read about:
Republic of Korea 1st Army and General Baek Sun-yup (also spelt Paek Sun-yup).
Also RoK Marine Corps during the Korean War.

But yes, by in large the RoK Army was more or less destroyed in the early months of the war. As the war wore on, the South Korean army rebuilt itself and held the line along the current DMZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection
I've heard that the South Korean military didn't do too much in the Korean war either, most of the work was handled by the US.
December 11th, 2004  
MadeInChina

somethign you guys dont know: apparently either UN pilots are blind or they inteneded to do so. even before the UN reached yalu river, american bombers bombed cities in china in manchuria, causing deaths up to the thousands. thats also a important point for china to invade.
December 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Dude. You won't believe how much crap MacArthur got into because of his inability to bomb or take the fight to China. Bombing the bridges along the Yalu river were a challenge because the planes had to do it without entering Chinese airspace somehow.
In fact, it was the argument over China that MacArthur eventually lost his job.
Unless you show me some good evidence, I'd say the American bombers bombing cities (!! Cities!?!?) in Manchuria story is completely made up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak88
somethign you guys dont know: apparently either UN pilots are blind or they inteneded to do so. even before the UN reached yalu river, american bombers bombed cities in china in manchuria, causing deaths up to the thousands. thats also a important point for china to invade.
December 11th, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak88
No, its propaganda.
UN airforces were banned from even overflying Chinese airspace
China invaded in order to save the communist government of N.Korea.
In fact they actually warned the US-led UN forces that if they advanced too far into N.Korea they would act.
But Macarthur was convinced they wouldn't, or if they did the forces under his command could deal with it
Macarthur not for the first time was caught with his pants down for underestimating an enemy.
December 11th, 2004  
MadeInChina

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~pzhu/YALU/Yalu.html

http://www.monthlyreview.org/1000hart.htm - it is a long article, so have fun finding it like i did