clip that was taken by the Chinese navy in 1988 has been publicized by
her state medien. It shows the actions of the Chinese navy in combat as
the so called “resistant counter-attack” and conceals the reality of a
massacre :
64 innocent Vietnamese people were killed by 37mm anti-craft guns
from Chinese warships in a few seconds.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeAaX73D3Og

Last edited:
The Vietnamese landed (stranded) 70 people on a reef in the middle of nowhere and thumbed their nose at the Chinese. Massacre or not, not very bright.

The Vietnamese landed (stranded) 70 people on a reef in the middle of nowhere and thumbed their nose at the Chinese. Massacre or not, not very bright.
I don´t think it´s in the middle of nowhere. According to the video, the reefs lie near a island of Vietnam.
the viets landed soldiers on those reefs, just like building the wire fence around their own house. But china suddenly sent troops to crush them.

I'm aware the reefs were around an island which was potentially strategically significant. However, landing troops in waist-deep water and stranding them defenseless on a reef is a poor tactical decision, especially if you're in contested territory.

I'm aware the reefs were around an island which was potentially strategically significant. However, landing troops in waist-deep water and stranding them defenseless on a reef is a poor tactical decision, especially if you're in contested territory.
The only way to take a reef really in control is landing soldiers by boats to build quickly blockhouses as defending points , as well as mobilizing warships till the end of processing.

I think at that time the viets were getting to bulid blockhouses on that bunch of reefs. But they were so subjective, even they detected alot of Chinese warships.They thought if they didn´t fire firstly, the Chinese´d do the same.

Have found some images of blockhouses built by China on Spratly islands since 1988

chigua1.jpg

chigua2.jpg

Last edited:
Let me see if I understand the maritime law aspects of this. The Spratley Islands, which for the most part aren't really islands at all, have no real strategic or economic importance in and of themselves. The sole reason for this conflict is to determine boundaries for territorial waters and the economic exclusion zone (EEZ, I'm not going to type that all out again :p). Essentially, it's the same quest for territory we've seen for thousands of years.

Just give up. Have all the ten or so nations who have claimed territory there go home; call it international waters, and stop killing each other over stupid stuff. Especially when the Chinese are involved. They've got a bit more cannon fodder available than the Vietnamese.

Let me see if I understand the maritime law aspects of this. The Spratley Islands, which for the most part aren't really islands at all, have no real strategic or economic importance in and of themselves. The sole reason for this conflict is to determine boundaries for territorial waters and the economic exclusion zone (EEZ, I'm not going to type that all out again :p). Essentially, it's the same quest for territory we've seen for thousands of years.

Just give up. Have all the ten or so nations who have claimed territory there go home; call it international waters, and stop killing each other over stupid stuff. Especially when the Chinese are involved. They've got a bit more cannon fodder available than the Vietnamese.

It is about oil and who has the most area for off shore drilling and the income it provides to the nation that has it. If it were to be declared international waters British Petroleum could drill.:)

It is about oil and who has the most area for off shore drilling and the income it provides to the nation that has it. If it were to be declared international waters British Petroleum could drill.:)

BP doesn't generally use automatic weapons to stake a claim, so I would see that as an improvement.

The problem is : Some countries in the southern area like Viets, Malaysia, ect. controlled already those tiny islands by stationing troops in the history, over several hundreds years. And they´ll continue stationing troops till the end of the game:roll:

Since 1950, after occupying Tibet, China started claiming sovereignty over Spratly islands.
Before this skirmish 1988, China had occupied nothing and hadn´t ever occupied anything in Spratly islands, even her state media confirmed that China is the first one that discovered Spratly islands ( like Columbus, lol:lol:). and has the right to control them .

Last edited:
Yeah. Well if your going to put a landing force into contested territory it might be nice if you at least give em the means to fight back or defend themselves. Poor tactical planning.

Wow, the vietnamese actually did worse then the Agentinians at the Falklands..Atleast they got some sort of support..

We blew it. We could have had an improved Los Angeles class nearby and hit the Chinese destroyers with a spread of torpedoes and/or harpoon cruise missiles then silently slipped away. :(

thats the problem. why secede land to the Chinese that isn't historically theirs. Abet it was a tactical mistake by the viets. it is still important that they made a stand. maybe a little to schoolyard politics but you don't back down from a bully.

Back