Ready, Aim, Misfire!

I believe the artillery is facing two major problems, not counting the eternal problem of politicians.

1. The need for air superiority in order to protect field artillery positions from air-strike, and given air superiority the job of delievering the hardware and release havoc upon the enemy is mostly given to the superior air-force present...

2. The type of conflicts we're facing today, shooting sparrows with a cannon is both difficult and expensive.

As most of the conflicts today is more like regular army vs. guerilla forces, in most instances it would simply be nothing to hit when the grenades land...

So we're stuck with the memories of past glory. :(

I love the Koreans, their military is awesome, I always loved those guys. They're probably considered a small force, but very much so hard chargers.

Yes but there is a problem in that since the techniques and tactics that were used in Vietnam are now illegal, no one is really sure on how to conduct a more modern kind of warfare. Lessons learned in peacekeeping operations are helpful though but I don't think the regular units back home are adopting them as well as they should.

I believe the artillery is facing two major problems, not counting the eternal problem of politicians.

1. The need for air superiority in order to protect field artillery positions from air-strike, and given air superiority the job of delievering the hardware and release havoc upon the enemy is mostly given to the superior air-force present...

2. The type of conflicts we're facing today, shooting sparrows with a cannon is both difficult and expensive.

As most of the conflicts today is more like regular army vs. guerilla forces, in most instances it would simply be nothing to hit when the grenades land...

So we're stuck with the memories of past glory. :(

I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be:

1. Air Defense Artillery can help a lot with the air to ground threat. I agree that the air forces get more than their fair share of targets (especially here in the US where the majority of the deep targets are almost always attacked by air, even when it makes no sense to risk the aircraft), but aircraft can't be everywhere at once, so you have to have artillery and mortars.

2. Precision munitions help a lot with the collateral effects puzzle. The new Excalibur GPS round is proving to be a big success as it is accurate and very devastating (Iraqis refer to it as the "Hand of Allah" :twisted: ). True, it is much more expensive than a regular HE or DPICM round, but we have GPS kits for them too, which, although a bit pricey, are quite effective too.

Getting good target acquisition and tracking it until the decision is made to engage is still a challenge however.

Reports of the death of the Field Artillery are much exaggerated! :box:

NEVER GIVE UP! Motto of the 206th FA Regiment

Today is the day of the patrol. We aren't even really aloud to use mk19s anymore. You would think it was a "Make a wish" for hoji. That is what overwhelming force causes.

Last edited:
Back