Re-rise of Likud in Israel?

Rabs

08.gif

After Olmerts failure in Lebanon do you think the people of Israel will be more likely to vote for the hawkish likud under Nentanyahu thinking he can provide saftey.

Or will Israel vote in a labour leader thinking he can negoitate a peace?

Opinions?

I don't think Olmert will be put back in. The Israelis were almost 100% behind crushing hezbollah once and for all. As far as the Likud Party, the way is wide open for them.

Missileer said:
I don't think Olmert will be put back in. The Israelis were almost 100% behind crushing hezbollah once and for all. As far as the Likud Party, the way is wide open for them.

I agree that you could stick a fork into the Olmert era, its done. I dont know about Likud. What is their solution so back into Lebanon guns a blazin? Olmert tried that, it didnt work and a lot of innocent people got killed. I would think even the Washington hawks would have difficulty in supporting another offensive, let alone a greater offensive. Its extremely unlikely it would destroy Hezbollah. Which means the Isreal's military reputation for invincibility would be even more damaged.

Furthermore, I curious what Labor would say about all this, they have been out of power since the Barack era. I would remind the Isreali people that the closest Isreal got to peace was by talking and negociating, yes Arafat screwed that up but hes dead. Time to try again with someone more reasonible, Hamas and Hezbollah wont last.

Last edited:
Well Bibi has had a go at this and messed up too! So the Likud approach is proven not to be so succesfull either. Why is it that all great Likud people choose for negotating peace in the end? Rabin did it and Sharon too, both were military hardliners and both saw negotiation as the only way.... Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I agree Ted. Bibi screwed up the most in my opinion.

Its interesting to note, the the greatest Isreali Peacemakers Rabin, Barack, and later Sharon were all IDF military commanders, people who not only served but who made decisions. Whereas those who were the more militaristic did not pursue military careers although they did serve. Take Bibi and Barack both served together in the Seyret Matkal (Isreali Recon Special Forces Team). Afterwords one became a politican and the other joined the Army Chief of Staff.

Back