RE-4 Reenlistment Code...Read First.

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Seriously... it might be the same dude, or maybe one post is making the RE-4 deal show up on google and that let kinda led the whole group in.
Let's just have a sticky about RE-4s.

There Ya go.

If your Reenlistment Code is RE4 read this.......................................

1. Your chances of reenlisting are slim to none...................mostly none.

2. No one here is going to tell you things to make you feel better about your chances.

3. No one here is going to take a sympathic view of your plight of not getting back in.

4. You are not going to get the answers you want to hear. You will get realistic answers.

5. You need to look for another job.

Last edited:
No you cannot join ANY branch of the service with a RE 4 code. And you never will. That is just the fact.

If they start recruiting penal battalions any time soon you might be able to get in one. You can always join the French Foreign Legion, Yeah it is that bad.

No you cannot get it changed to another RE code. Forget it now, it just doesnt happen.

RE4 is a red flag "we do not want you back ever". "Damaged goods". " :cen: 'd up individual!" Usually if you got an RE4 you will know why. AWOL, Drug or Acholol problems, Personality issues, etc, etc. It is not a code you get when you have a happy enlistment.

It gets worse that RE4 is gonna limit a lot of the high paying jobs you might otherwise qualify for later. It is not the same, but treated as the same as a felony conviction by lot of employers.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RE-4 - Individuals separated from last period of service with a nonwaiverable disqualification (refer to AR 601-280). Ineligible for enlistment except as provided for in paragraphs 2-7c and 2-7d. (See waiverable moral and administrative disqualifications.) Disqualilication is nonwaivable.[/FONT]

Last edited:
"If they start recruiting penal battalions any time soon you might be able to get in one. You can always join the French Foreign Legion, Yeah it is that bad".

Not even, those days are done. The FFL is cracking down as well. Drug Offenses, violent crime convictions, mental issues, will disqualify you (and they do check). The days of the FFL accepting everybody, regardless, are over.

I don't know about Desertion/AWOL but I cannot imagine a reason why they would accept a convicted Deserter.

Last edited:
Yes Mmarsh is right.
If anyone with an RE-4 wanted to join the Foreign Legion, they'd have to hide their previous service record. The Foreign Legion will ask for previous service records for those who have served in other militaries and will most of the time not accept anyone with anything less than an honorable discharge. Not sure about certain cases of medical discharge but even then I highly doubt it.
I know because several years back the Foreign Legion was one of my possible destinations but question marks arose because of my eye so I decided not to go for it.

Could we rename this sticky "RE-4s, read this first"?

I don't have much experience with RE-4

What exactly is this? How do people get one? I am gathering it is worse than the dreaded Article 15...

I don't have much experience with RE-4

What exactly is this? How do people get one? I am gathering it is worse than the dreaded Article 15...

RE-4: Dishonorable Discharge. We call it a Big Chicken Dinner (Bad Conduct Discharge).

When you separate from the military, you are issued a DD Form 214 that contains pertinent facts about your active duty military service, such as your awards, MOS, and discharge type. An RE-1 means that you completed your obligation as expected, called an Honorable Discharge.

Then there are "Other Than Honorable" Discharge types, and these have a letter code assigned to the RE code that tells background investigators exactly why you were discharged.

For instance, an other than honorable RE-2BLC discharge means that the military kicked you out for homosexuality. RE-2CBL indicates unsuitability for military service without a specified reason (usually lying to get in). The K's are usually drugs - the military tests you for drugs monthly. Even a puff of pot and you can face an OTH discharge.

The Big Chicken Dinner is reserved for the most egregious offenses of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), usually indicating criminal behavior: AWOL, drug abuse, stealing, acting in a manner that completely dishonors the military, and etc.

If you think of it in civilian terms, an OTH is typified by a misdemeanor, whereas a BCD is a felony (simple analogy).

Most employers will not touch you with an RE-4. It is MUCH worse than an Article 15 or 32. It means that the military criminally prosecuted you, found you guilty without doubt, and booted your butt out. You're irresponsible and embarrass the United States. You cannot be trusted.

RE-4: Dishonorable Discharge. We call it a Big Chicken Dinner (Bad Conduct Discharge).

When you separate from the military, you are issued a DD Form 214 that contains pertinent facts about your active duty military service, such as your awards, MOS, and discharge type. An RE-1 means that you completed your obligation as expected, called an Honorable Discharge.

Then there are "Other Than Honorable" Discharge types, and these have a letter code assigned to the RE code that tells background investigators exactly why you were discharged.

For instance, an other than honorable RE-2BLC discharge means that the military kicked you out for homosexuality. RE-2CBL indicates unsuitability for military service without a specified reason (usually lying to get in). The K's are usually drugs - the military tests you for drugs monthly. Even a puff of pot and you can face an OTH discharge.

The Big Chicken Dinner is reserved for the most egregious offenses of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), usually indicating criminal behavior: AWOL, drug abuse, stealing, acting in a manner that completely dishonors the military, and etc.

If you think of it in civilian terms, an OTH is typified by a misdemeanor, whereas a BCD is a felony (simple analogy).

Most employers will not touch you with an RE-4. It is MUCH worse than an Article 15 or 32. It means that the military criminally prosecuted you, found you guilty without doubt, and booted your butt out. You're irresponsible and embarrass the United States. You cannot be trusted.

You could receive an RE-4 code with honorable service. You can get one for many, many reasons not related to conduct. An RE-4 discharge does not equal a BCD although the reverse is true.

An Air Force RE-4 can re-enlist into the Navy with a waiver but cannot with an RE-2. Where most of the service codes are similar, they are not the same. Some reserve components have in the past excepted RE-4 discharges depending on the separation code. As of about 3 years ago the Navy Reserve stopped the process to come more in line with active requirements.

If I may,

If the RE4 is "reserved" to personnel who committed dishonorable acts, and is equal to a civilian felony charge and given alongside the big chicken dinner. Why, then, does it say on MY 214 RE-4 on the reenlistment box and then Honorable Discharge on the discharge type box? I can provide a copy as proof.

i finished bmt, and a-school. i go to a physical before going to b-school, and after weeks of being on hold, i get a tap from my chief saying that i'm not getting on the bus to fmss, but a ticket home instead.

Last edited:
I would say that you have a medical condition that precludes you from serving......ever. The RE4 can also be used for that.

The RE code is only that, a reenlistment code. The reason can be found in the separation code in block 26 of the 214, usually 3 digits and for the Navy the separation code is defined in BUPERSINST 1900.8

I spoke with a recruiting commander, and an admin officer. If you have an RE4 from any service at ANY time, you will NOT get back in unless you have a waiver from the 4 Star Commander at Recruiting Command. To date, he has signed ZERO waivers.

I spoke with a recruiting commander, and an admin officer. If you have an RE4 from any service at ANY time, you will NOT get back in unless you have a waiver from the 4 Star Commander at Recruiting Command. To date, he has signed ZERO waivers.

Well, that is about as final as you can get, I'd say.

Greetings,

I have read the above content, and all I am looking for are realistic answers.

I was given an OTH for going AWOL, RE-4, etc, etc. I will spare you the specifics and get right on with what I need to know.

There are other errors, but these are the two biggies:

My charge sheet lists me as being absent without leave on a date that I was actually on an authorized leave. All other documents reflect this.

I was listed as being a deserter, and my information was given to the Deserter Information Point on a date before my duty status was changed from absent without leave to DFR/Deserter.

Isn't charging me with being absent without leave when I wasn't illegal?

Isn't listing me as a deserter before my status duty change illegal?

If not illegal, then at least, improper?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

To all RE-4 folks:

I have talked with over 100 people with the RE-4 code for reenlistment and none of them have been able to get it changed. Once there, as mentioned, few get it changed.

You may just want to understand that military life is not what you are going to do. There are many other fields of work like Blackwater or another group that will take you.
Good luck folks with moving on with your life.
MD

Back