RE-4 Reenlistment Code...Read First.

RE4 ???

Hi there. My question is from a parental standpoint. My son is an E4-Army and he was approached to extend his contract or reenlist by the retention officer. He decided he didn't want to reenlist for another 3 or 4yrs but he would extend for a year. He had to see the commander for him to sign his extension. The commander is new said he needed input from previous commander and based on previous CO's input he provided him with a letter of recommendation that stated he does not recommend him for reenlistment/extension. It spelled out that he's a a substandard soldier, that while he exceeds expectations in physical fitness he doesn't meet the standards for awesome performance. As in he cuts corners and does the minimal amount to get by. No pride or ownership and hasn't succeeded in leadership roles. ...sigh...depressing to hear this. Basically he skates by and from time to time screws things up. Not a complete eff up but doesn't feel the need to excel or do more to succeed. That they feel he is better suited for something outside the military. So my question here is that he gets out in June. He hasn't done anything to receive a dishonorable discharge. The new CO stated he was troubled to get this report from the previous CO because he had not experienced poor performance from my son.--I read this whole thread, but I'm wondering, will this recommendation letter mean an RE4 designation on his DD214? or is a letter like this just meant as a NO for extending a contract or reenlisting right now--a letter just for the retention officer?. Would they tell him prior to separation that this will be going on his record as a RE4 or would they have told him when he got this letter to take back to the retention officer? He hasn't done anything that is earth shattering- there is no reason for him to receive anything other than an honorable discharge. He's 22 and a bonehead, and not mature for his age. Not an excuse, just a fact.- But what if in 5 or 6 years he is more mature and not such a bonehead and wants to enlist?or even more troubling...an RE4 would prohibit him from certain jobs...and it looks bad. I'm concerned that he will live in my basement and play video games (lol--not really, he's a good kid and always had a job previous to going into the Army) but what if his employment chances are hindered due to this designation?... Would he get an RE4 designation for just performing poorly?
Inquiring minds....

RE4 ???

Hi there. My question is from a parental standpoint. My son is an E4-Army and he was approached to extend his contract or reenlist by the retention officer. He decided he didn't want to reenlist for another 3 or 4yrs but he would extend for a year. He had to see the commander for him to sign his extension. The commander is new, said he needed input from previous commander and based on previous CO's input, he provided him with a letter of recommendation that stated he does not recommend him for reenlistment/extension. It spelled out that he's a a substandard soldier, that while he exceeds expectations in physical fitness he doesn't meet the standards for awesome performance. As in, he cuts corners and does the minimal amount to get by. No pride or ownership and hasn't succeeded in leadership roles. ...sigh...depressing to hear this. Basically he skates by and from time to time screws things up. Not a complete eff up but doesn't feel the need to excel or do more to succeed. They feel he is better suited for something outside the military. So my question here is, he gets out in June... he hasn't done anything to receive a dishonorable discharge. The new CO stated he was troubled to get this report from the previous CO because he had not experienced poor performance from my son.--I read this whole thread, but I'm wondering, will this recommendation letter mean an RE4 designation on his DD214? or is a letter like this just meant as a NO for extending a contract or reenlisting right now--a letter just for the retention officer?. Would they tell him prior to separation that this will be going on his record as a RE4 or would they have told him when he got this letter to take back to the retention officer? He hasn't done anything that is earth shattering- there is no reason for him to receive anything other than an honorable discharge. He's 22 and a bonehead, and not mature for his age. Not an excuse, just a fact.- But what if in 5 or 6 years he is more mature and not such a bonehead and wants to enlist?or even more troubling...an RE4 would prohibit him from certain jobs...and it looks bad. I'm concerned that he will live in my basement and play video games (lol--not really, he's a good kid and always had a job previous to going into the Army) but what if his employment chances are hindered due to this designation?... Would he get an RE4 designation for just performing poorly?
Inquiring minds....

Last edited:
I see most of these posts are older but you guys seem to really know what you're talking about.
Long story short my ex husband lied extensively about his military career. Claiming glory in Fallujah ect... I now know he was never even there!
I stumbled on your site because I found his dd214 and started doing some searching. Kdk2 release with a re4 reentry code. My theory is he went awol.
Is there anyone out there who can help me decipher this information more precisely? He was mia for 146 days or so...
Please. I'm not snooping to be an ass. He's violent and has made threats to myself and our son and this information will just add to the pile of evidence I already have in case he ever tries to come after us.
Thank you

RE:4 doesn't always mean someone was bad in the military. I received an Honorable Discharge, RE:4 because of a medical problem that came up. Separation code and type of discharge are something that holds a lot of value in your situation.

an RE4 would prohibit him from certain jobs...and it looks bad. I'm concerned that he will live in my basement and play video games (lol--not really, he's a good kid and always had a job previous to going into the Army) but what if his employment chances are hindered due to this designation?... Would he get an RE4 designation for just performing poorly?
Inquiring minds....

As someone with an RE:4, I can tell you that the job search is not that hindered in reality (depending on Separation code and type of discharge). I would say it might hinder him getting into law enforcement if that's something he wants to do. My boss at my current job was a 16 year veteran of the air force, and my boss at my previous job that also hired me on was a 20 year veteran of the army that retired early because of a medical condition. They did ask me about my discharge, however my RE:4 was an Honorable Discharge due to a medical condition. All I had to do is explain that my medical condition isn't an issue anymore and won't hinder me at my job. In the military, I heard a lot of scare tactics going around about if you get a "Bad discharge". I know someone who received an other than honorable discharge and got a job as a city firefighter a couple weeks after he got out. Most civilian employers don't really think about it much. I think it matters more if he was claiming Veterans Preference or something. Don't quote me on that, I could be wrong. I have never had a problem finding a decent paying job since my discharge. The only other thing with me, though is that "Supervisors" when I was in, loved me because I was a hard worker and have always been a good reference for me.

Last edited:
This question is NOT in regards to reenlistment. After the end of the Vietnam Confict I was discharge with character of service Honorable, Certificate issued DD256A, Reenlistment code RE-4 A VA Dr. came to my aid and a DD215 correction was issued reflecting RE-3 status. I had no idea what it meant in 1976. After much college coursework and a BA degree I started looking for permanent work. It couldn't have occurred to me that the DD214 page I was handing employers was not the corrected DD215. I never got a job offer from anyone I handed the RE-4 part by itself. Maybe I'm over reacting to the RE-4 / RE-3 issue, but why would I bother with a RE-4 if I was in the hiring position, which I have been. Records will follow you forever. I need to work 10 more years and could use less crap blocking my path. BTW, I'm an IT mgr.

This question is NOT in regards to reenlistment. After the end of the Vietnam Confict I was discharge with character of service Honorable, Certificate issued DD256A, Reenlistment code RE-4 A VA Dr. came to my aid and a DD215 correction was issued reflecting RE-3 status. I had no idea what it meant in 1976. After much college coursework and a BA degree I started looking for permanent work. It couldn't have occurred to me that the DD214 page I was handing employers was not the corrected DD215. I never got a job offer from anyone I handed the RE-4 part by itself. Maybe I'm over reacting to the RE-4 / RE-3 issue, but why would I bother with a RE-4 if I was in the hiring position, which I have been. Records will follow you forever. I need to work 10 more years and could use less crap blocking my path. BTW, I'm an IT mgr.

Were you applying with the government? I have never heard of a private sector job where someone had to submit a DD214

Appendix I found within Marine Corps Order 1900.16,otherwise known as the Marine Corps Separations Manual (MARCORSEPMAN) statesthe following IRT reenlistment codes of 4 or 4B:
RE-4: Not recommended for reenlistment. SRB/ESR entry (Page 11 entry) requiredstating reason for assignment. Individual Marine must sign SRB/ESR entry. Thiscode may be assigned in lieu of any RE-3 code (except RE-3B and RE-3F) if the Marine’sperformance warrants and the reason can be documented.
RE-4B: Not recommended for reenlistment. Assign this code when there is a military orcivil record of in-service illegal drug involvement and there is no potentialfor further service. SRB/ESR entry isrequired stating the reason for assignment. Individual Marine must sign SRB/ESR entry.
Just an item of note, any Marine assigned a reenlistmentcode of either RE-4 or RE-4B are prohibited from transferring to the IndividualReady Reserve (IRR).
If there is a service member who is in receipt of a RE-4 orRE-4B, then its mandatory that there be a page 11 entry in that individual’sService Record Book (SRB) explaining why. We cannot separate Marines without the entry.
My recommendation is to google the MCO and take a look atthe Appendix as this (reenlistment coding) isn’t specific to the Marine Corpsand universally applied across all of the uniformed services.

RE-4 basically means not eligible for re-enlistment. An RE-4R with 20+ years of Honorable service is given for regular retirement.

The RE code (Reentry Eligibility code) is determined by the reason for separation, not the character of separation.

Facts: https://arba.army.pentagon.mil/change-re-code.html

Not opinions

http://military-attorneys.us/Military-RE-Codes.html

The RE code listed on a DD 214 provides the military with information about your
ability to reenlist in the armed services. The codes and the ability to reenlist vary
from service to service. For example, a sailor may be discharged due to motion
sickness but this may not prevent them from serving in the Army.

If you would like to consult with an attorney regarding your discharge status or RE
code please contact us or visit our "find a lawyer" section

RE-1 - Individuals who were fully qualified when last separated remain qualified for
reenlistment.

RE-1A - Individuals with over 6 years of service for pay. Fully qualified for
enlistment. Ineligible to reenlist for 93 days after date of separation.

RE-1B - Individuals who have not been tested to verify primary MOS during current
term of service. Fully qualified for enlistment.

RE-1C - Individuals separated who do not possess scores of 90 or higher in any 3 or
more aptitude areas of thc ASVAB If tested prior to 1 Oct 1980, or scores of 85 or
higher in any 3 or more aptitude areas of the ASVAB if tested on or after 1 Oct 80.
Fully qualified for enlistment provided otherwise qualified.

RE-2 - Individuals separated for the convenience of the Government in accordance
with Chapter 5, AR 635-200, (Chapter 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12) and reenlistment is not
contemplated. Fully qualified for enlistment/reenlistment (AR 635-200.

RE-2A - Individuals with over 6 years of service for pay who have incurred an
additional service requirement and who decline to meet the additional service
requirement through reenlistment or extension and were separated prior to 15 Aug
1977. Fully qualified for enlistment. Ineligible to reenlist in grade and for 93 days
after date of separation.

RE-2B - Individuals who were fully qualified when last separated. However,
reenlistment not authorized at time of separation under enlisted year group
management plan. Fully qualified for enlistment.

RE-2C - Individuals who were fully qualified when last separated. However,
reenlistment not authorized at time of separation under reenlistment control policy.
Civilian: fully qualified for enlistment.

RE-3 - Individuals who are not qualified for continued Army service, but the
disqualification is waiverable. Ineligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted.

RE-3A
Section 1. Individuals who do not possess scores of or higher in any 3 or more
aptitude areas of the AQB or the ACB. However, this code is o longer used for this
disqualification. Fully qualified for enlistment if mental requirements of table 2-1 can
be met. Prior service mental requirements are non-waiverable. Waiver, if approved,
is valid only for the purpose of providing continuous, unbroken service for RA in-
service personnel.

Section 2. Individuals with over 6 years of service for pay who have incurred an
additional service equipment and who decline to meet the additional service through
reenlistment or extension and were separated on or after 15 Aug 1977. Fully
qualified for enlistment. Waiver, if approved, is valid only for the purpose ol
providing continuous, unbroken service for RA in-service personnel.

RE-3B - Individuals who have time lost during their last period of service. Ineligible
for enlistment unless waiver is granted. (paras 2-7 and 2-8a). Applicable to EM who
have time lost during their last period of service.

RE-3C - lndividuals who have completed over 4 months service who do not meet
the pay grade requirements of Chapter 2), or who have been denied enlistment
under Qualitative Screening Process pursuant to Chapter 4 AR 600-200. Ineligible for
enlistment unless waiver is granted. Applicable to persons who have completed over
8 months service who do not meet the prior grade and service criterion of the
Qualitative Management Program (AR 600-200 Chapter 4).

RE-4 - Individuals separated from last period of service with a non-waiverable
disqualification (refer to AR 601-280). Ineligible for enlistment except as provided for
in paragraphs 2-7c and 2-7d. (See waiverable moral and administrative
disqualifications.) Disqualification is non-waivable.

RE-4A - Individuals who did not meet basic eligibility citizenship requirement of
Chapter 2, AR 601-280, at time of last separation from active duty. Ineligible for
enlistment unless requirements of table 2-1 can be met. Citizenship requirements are
non-waiveable. Applicable to EM who fail to meet citizenship requirements.

RE-4R - Individuals retiring after 20 or more years active Federal service (title 10, U.
S. Code 3914 or 3917) Ineligible for enlistment.

DD Form 214 is issued in two versions (Deleted and Undeleted). A non-federal employer can only ask to see the deleted copy - which does not have character of service or RE code on it. That information is reserved for federal agency use.

Not opinion(s) - fact traceable to an authorized (official source) Each service department has a regulation or instruction based on the DoD Instruction.

This is covered in DoD Instruction 1336.1
FACT: https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/133601p.pdf

See top of page 16:

Requests for Copies of DD Form 214 Subsequent to Separation. Agencies maintaining a
separating member’s DD Form 214 will provide a copy only upon written request by the Service
member. Agencies will provide the Service member with one copy with the Special Additional
Information section, and one copy with that information deleted. In the case of DD Forms 214
issued prior to July 1, 1979, agencies will provide the Service member with one copy containing
all items of information completed, and one copy with specific authority and narrative reason for
separation, reenlistment eligibility code, and separation program designator or number deleted
from the form.
(1) In those cases where the Service member has supplied an authorization to provide a
copy of the DD Form 214 to another individual or group, the copy furnished will not contain the
Special Additional Information section or, in the case of DD forms issued prior to July 1, 1979,
those items listed in paragraph 4.e of this enclosure.

Back