RE-4 Reenlistment Code...Read First.

OK so I just read someone elses post on here and he said he was starting something called L.O.S.E.R. I think thats GREAT!!! But as for what you said about 30 G's is the most u can make a year u are WAY OFF!!!! I was discharged from the military and never graduated high school or even got a G.E.D. and since I was 16 I've made right about 50 G's a year! Some places dont care about your background or past just what you can do NOW!!!! So try getting out of school join a union and do construction! I mean really I dont know where you live so maybe thats why you dont and cant make more then 30 G's a year but I live in CALI and I wouldnt even wake up or go to school for that kind of money!!! GOOD LUCK THO!!

RE-4 Codes

Everything everyone has posted is true....except one thing.

The only jobs that require a good seperation are jobs for the military or law enforcement. I would also say that chances are if you left the military on poor terms your probably are not trying to be a cop or get back in.

No (civilian employers) care about your DD 214. Go to college and get on with your life. The only thing an employer has ever wanted to see from me were my professional references, professional certifications, and proof of graduating from college. You can make good money. The key to success is not your past but learning from stupid mistakes, picking yourself up, and moving forward.

Most of the rhetoric is to scare young people from breaking their enlistment. Let me clarify that I do not know about punitive discharges such as BCD or Dishonorable, but General and OTH are no big deal.

I dont know if anyone still reads this or not. But if you want even the slightest chance go to bing.com type DD FORM 293 (It's the first link) print out the form and Good luck. What's the worst they can tell you? No again?

Hi guys. I think this is the place to get nice info and an answer to my questions. I enlisted in the Navy when i was 17 years old. Everything was going fine, until the fourth week, when I started having sleepwalking episodes. Never happened before that. The thing is that after the third episode, I was kicked out of the Navy. I joined a Police Department were I worked for 7 years in the department's S.W.A.T. Team. Now I have been working for the U.S Border Patrol for the last 2. I received a RE4 discharge, arguing that I lied about previous sleepwalking episodes before joining the Naval service, which isn't true. The thing is, I want to join my state National Guard, but some guys told me that I can't. But I've also heard that it can be waiver-able. Can You guys give me any help please?

Last edited:
OK, I've read every post on this topic. Now here's my UNIQUE situation. I have an HONORABLE DISCHARGE! With seperation code: KDS and RE code RE-4. I know this is unique because not alot of people get an honorable discharge with RE-4. Here's the deal, I was discharged from the Navy because the NAVY (they) breached their side of the contract. Hence the Sep Code: KDS. (Breach of Contract). Now I'm petitioning the navy for an RE code change. I've read that it will never happen but it's worth a try right? NOW my question is this. If they change it, how soon would I be able to re-enlist? Also would I be able to rejoin the Navy or would I have to choose a different branch. Thanks for the help everyone.

From what I know.... and I could be wrong, you have to have a two year break in service. If that is the case when you get your RE code changed I think you are good... Talk to a recruiter to be sure.

can i reenlist with a RE-3, I finished basic and AIT, however i was injuried during basic and did not pass the run part of the physical. I am in the state of Texas can i get a waiver for that code

can i reenlist with a RE-3, I finished basic and AIT, however i was injuried during basic and did not pass the run part of the physical. I am in the state of Texas can i get a waiver for that code

Yes you can attempt to get a waiver for a RE-3. The are also going to look at three letter discharge characterization. Go see a recruiter, however be aware that depending on current quotas it may be more difficult than at the begging of a fiscal year. It can also help to go the VA and see if you can get an advocate who can help you with the waiver process.

Good luck to you.

You denied reenlistment? I thought if you didn't reenlist they just let you go with a RE1 in case you changed your mind. I let my enlistment run out in 88, and got a Re1, went back in, in 89, after 11 months outside, now I'm a "disabled vet" been out since 99 and I have a RE3 Medical

@Wolfen I hear ya man. Was in from 84-87 spent a year out then 88-92. Got my RE3 JFX (personality disorder) after the war, got that waived but then could not get back in due to "Physical Complications relating to overseas service" or some stuff like that. So been rated at a 50% Disability for the so called "Gulf War Syndrome--ahem.. sarin" and other ahh.. lets just say if you argue with a tank.. the tank will always win. @#$@# torsion bars.

:tank:

Ultimatums, tho?

I've been reading through here and my head is officially spinning. It's funny how many varying opinions on the subject there are, and I'll have to go with the "RE-4 is just a number" camp.

I had just turned 18. I was in the recruiting office filling out papers. "Have you ever taken any drugs for any psychological reasons?" - or something along those lines. I wasn't sure if Ritalin was for a psychological reason, or maybe it was considered neurological, or physical, or what. I was legitimately confused. So I asked the recruiter, "For this one, does Ritalin count?" He asked me if I had taken any in the last year. Well ****, I hadn't taken any since I was something like 12. So I told him I hadn't and he quickly, and very nonchalantly said, "Well just go ahead and put no for that." Call me naive but I trusted his opinion.

I'm sent to boot camp, put in a 900 division, and we do amazingly well. I'm sent to BESS, and subsequently, my A-School. I was doing well there. I volunteered for the base ASF (auxiliary security force) post-911. I was the PT leader for my A-School class. Everything was good. Not FELONIOUS.

Suddenly I'm being called into the Navy Lawyer's office and being told that I fraudulently enlisted myself, was having my security clearance revoked, and I might be charged with all of it. I explain my side of the story, and call my older bro who's an officer, and he contacted the CO of my command to vouch for my character. They decide to not charge me with anything because they believe that I was a victim of recruitment ... issues.

The give me an ultimatum. I could either go to surface fleet, go back to boot and into a different branch, or I could get my GENERAL UNDER HONORABLE CONDITIONS discharge (not a felony) with an RE-4.

But this is the part that gets me.... why an ultimatum? Why is someone fit to stay in the military on Monday, but if they decide to leave on Tuesday, they can't come back Wednesday? I was 18, still vainly trying to date a girl from my civilian life, and my folks missed me. It was stupid to leave, but kids do stupid things. Seeing that I know I probably need expert military-legal advice, I'm not sure why I posted on here, but I just wanted to give an example where someone didn't do anything all that "bad" or, ahem, cowardly, and received an re-4.

Well, here's the thing:

I am not in the camp of, "All RE-4 recipients are the scum of the Earth." But you're discounting the fact that this thread's inception, and its resulting course, has been centered around those who do represent disciplinary issues in the military and are subsequently discharged under less-then-honorable conditions for failing to live up to their legal, military agreement contract.

No one here that is a veteran will tell you that every RE-4 code is warranted. But everyone here will tell you that the vocal majority decrying foul are a prodigy of their own demise.

You speak like you got a raw deal, and I believe that you did. Ergo, the "label" doesn't apply to you and, as such, you have every right to separate yourself from those whining about their own bad behavior and the resulting punishment that they deserved.

For what it is worth, which is zip over the 'Net, I think you got screwed by some officer that wanted to Peacock his tail feathers and just ended up bumping his butt. It's akin to the DADT policy: good policy, good intent, poor inception, ambiguous rules, unenforceable standards, and a lot of good people pay a price for an unwritten technicality.

Were I you, I would be in contact with JAG. Not because I or anyone am/is unsympathetic to your plight/situation, but because we are a simple sounding board and impotent to assist you. We'll listen all day, we'll sympathize and, for some, even empathize, but in the end the injustice is, and needs to be, intolerable and fought against. What happened to you was a farce, and you have every right (and I would say that you have every obligation) to fight for yourself and not lie down under the body of a single officer with your background packet stomping your character.

Richard
Army Infantry (1989 - 1997)

I entered the Navy from the delayed entry program in January 2003, having been a DEPer for 5 months. I tested positive on my drug screen for marijuana at Great Lakes, IL. When I decided to enter DEP, I stopped smoking pot. I started getting in shape to prepare myself for the training. I was running, do push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups religiously on a daily basis. I enrolled in the local technical college, and decided to be an LPN. I did that for what seemed like forever, until January 15, 2003 came along. I took a rapid drug screen just before leaving the recruiting station that day, which was negative. I flew in to Chicago, and was transferred to Great Lakes via bus. I took their drug screen at approximately 0400 that morning. The week I was in basic, I was in the best shape of my life. I felt so good, knowing that I was going to be part of the most elite force in the world. I even became the medical yeoman while I was there at basic training, because of my LPN background. Then, the chief gets a call from above saying that I popped on the drug test. The CPO told me not to worry, and that I could get back in if I jumped through the hoops like I was supposed to. I was then sent to Separations for two weeks. While there I spoke with many people about my case. When my case was up for a hearing, I was presented with the formal accusations. The legalman presented the results to me in a hasty fashion, and I saw where the THC level in my system was a very low amount. I was sent home February 13, 2003 via Greyhound bus ticket. I was given my DD 214 prior to being shuttled to the train station. My re-entry code was RE-4. I already knew what that meant. When the information was presented to me, I had no idea of what my options were, due to all of this. Sadly, NOW I do. Had I waited about another week before leaving for Great Lakes, I would definitely still be in the Navy right now. But, I was so naive that I took the Greyhound bus ticket, and came home to an extremely disappointed family.
After I returned home, I got my LPN license. I've spoken with several physicians I know, and all of them basically said that I must have had too much THC stored in my body. I have done a ton of research on that, and I have found that THC is stored in the adipose tissue, or fatty tissue, of the body. When you work out, you burn fat. The fat is broken down by a substance made in the liver called bile. The bile breaks down fats in the large intestine. The large intestine is also responsible for the re-absorption of fluids to maintain electrolyte balance. When broken down fats meet in the colon with fluids, it is reabsorbed, and the kidneys filter the garbage and send it to the bladder. Also,the RE-4 I received could have been listed as RE-3J, which states that "failed entry level drug test, not drug dependent." According to MILPERSMAN 1910-134, Section 9A-1, which states that "recruits must be administratively separated and assigned an RE-3J enlistment code prove they: (1) failed entry level drug testing for marijuana only upon arrival," this is similar to my situation. Honestly, I'm not even sure if this information would hurt me or help me now. So you see, I feel like what happened to me was completely circumstantial and unfair. I've held a professional license from the state of Georgia for 7 years now with no disciplinary action whatsoever. I've become more responsible over the years, as well as a husband and proud parent of two children. I have countless thank you letters and commendations from my employers to prove my credibility. I am soon to graduate in May from college with Associate degrees in both Nursing and Psychology. My plan after that is to attend the local university to obtain my Bachelor degree in Nursing, which should all be complete by May 2012. I would love to be a part of the Navy Nurse Corps more than anything. It has always been a dream of mine to serve and defend my country, and I would love to have the honor to do so.
I have already sent my request for all of my paper work. What are my options at this juncture? Do I have a good chance of having it upgraded, or am I just wasting my time? If there is any way to come out on top in this matter, I'm definitely open to suggestion. Any information you give would greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hear this, but your chances are slim to none. I know that sucks, but that is the reality of it. The only thing you can do is get a lawyer willing to take your case. Additionally, have to spoken with a recruiter since?

I know you don't want to hear this, but your chances are slim to none. I know that sucks, but that is the reality of it. The only thing you can do is get a lawyer willing to take your case. Additionally, have to spoken with a recruiter since?
Yes, sir, I have spoken with a recruiter, and they tell me the same thing as you. On the other hand, I have also spoken with a lawyer, who says that I my chances are better than average, but that, at the same time, I should not get my hopes up. And you're right. It really does suck to hear that, but I feel that I have to at least try. I HAVE to know for certain that it's a dead end. Otherwise, I'll never know, and I think that would be harder for me to deal with.

RE-4: Dishonorable Discharge. We call it a Big Chicken Dinner (Bad Conduct Discharge).

When you separate from the military, you are issued a DD Form 214 that contains pertinent facts about your active duty military service, such as your awards, MOS, and discharge type. An RE-1 means that you completed your obligation as expected, called an Honorable Discharge.

Then there are "Other Than Honorable" Discharge types, and these have a letter code assigned to the RE code that tells background investigators exactly why you were discharged.

For instance, an other than honorable RE-2BLC discharge means that the military kicked you out for homosexuality. RE-2CBL indicates unsuitability for military service without a specified reason (usually lying to get in). The K's are usually drugs - the military tests you for drugs monthly. Even a puff of pot and you can face an OTH discharge.

The Big Chicken Dinner is reserved for the most egregious offenses of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), usually indicating criminal behavior: AWOL, drug abuse, stealing, acting in a manner that completely dishonors the military, and etc.

If you think of it in civilian terms, an OTH is typified by a misdemeanor, whereas a BCD is a felony (simple analogy).

Most employers will not touch you with an RE-4. It is MUCH worse than an Article 15 or 32. It means that the military criminally prosecuted you, found you guilty without doubt, and booted your butt out. You're irresponsible and embarrass the United States. You cannot be trusted.

**This is technically incorrect information you are putting out there. I received an RE-4 with a full HONORABLE discharge. I never got into trouble but because I exceeded a 2 incident limit, I was shown the door. I am currently waiting for a board response for my discharge upgrade.

Wrong. A 4-Star has no involvement of the process. It is strictly officers and senior enlisted. They make the decision, not top brass.

I received an RE-4 back in 2006 from the Navy for the reason stated "Entry level performance and conduct." It was actually due to medical reasons of personality disorder and such. In 2007 I got it waivered into the Army and am still currently serving. The only time it hindered me was during my physical to go to Ranger school. I couldn't get signed off to go.

Truth is, during a desperate time, the RE-4 will get waivered. From what most recruiters tell me, it's not happening anytime soon.

What about this?

What do you think about if you hear Honorable Discharge with an RE-4?
This is what i recieved because i requested the wrong code upon discharge. Is there a way to change this?
The reason i am asking is i plan to pursue a career in Police work.
I have full benefits and my full post 9/11 GI bill....i was just wondering if u can change it

Last edited:
What do you think about if you hear Honorable Discharge with an RE-4?
This is what i recieved because i requested the wrong code upon discharge. Is there a way to change this?
The reason i am asking is i plan to pursue a career in Police work.
I have full benefits and my full post 9/11 GI bill....i was just wondering if u can change it

You don't request your RE code - it is annotated due to your discharge conditions.

Yes, it is possible to change it. But the criteria to do so is complex; without further information regarding the condition of your separation, no one here will be able to assist you.

Back