Rations

Asskrusher

Hi all,

For some reason, one of my hobbies is collecting military rations. I try to get as many different ones as I can, preferably a few of each, so I can open one, see whats in it, etc. If I can get enough of them, i'll eat some, providing they are not too far past the expiry date :lol:

I am curious if anyone knows where to get some "rare" rations. Not MRE's, things like MCW and LRP rations, etc., and pretty much anything non US.

Also, does anyone else do this?

Regards,

Asskrusher

Re: French Rations

hi there,

i can easily send you for free (except shipping) a French combat ration, reheatable, and have some dutch ones yet
mail me
;)

Asskrusher said:
Hi all,

For some reason, one of my hobbies is collecting military rations. I try to get as many different ones as I can, preferably a few of each, so I can open one, see whats in it, etc. If I can get enough of them, i'll eat some, providing they are not too far past the expiry date :lol:

I am curious if anyone knows where to get some "rare" rations. Not MRE's, things like MCW and LRP rations, etc., and pretty much anything non US.

Also, does anyone else do this?

Regards,

Asskrusher
I have some old C ration cans and my grandfather collects K and C rations.

Arclight said:
RnderSafe said:
Ugh. The old LRPR's sucked. If you find some, eat them at your own risk.

Freeze dried stuff, right?

None of ours was freeze dried. The biscuits were dried but I think that was from age. So were the smokes. The really good stuff was in o.d. cans, I've still got my can opener, tuna & noodles, beef stew, yum. Then there were the dried eggs. :x If it was raining, they would float in your mess kit.

I remember the stuff that they used to give us when we were out in the field, it was almost 20 years old. The Chocolate in it had been heated and cooled that often it had all gone white, still when you are hungry you will eat any thing

LeEnfield said:
I remember the stuff that they used to give us when we were out in the field, it was almost 20 years old. The Chocolate in it had been heated and cooled that often it had all gone white, still when you are hungry you will eat any thing

Yum! K rations.

C/CMSgt Henderson said:
The first ration i ever saw had a 1.5 inch tall bottle of tabasco sauce in it..I was like WDF...

I always carry a small bottle of Tabasco sauce while camping, it makes the some of the food edible. :D

rations

i am a retired USAF EOD troop now writing a book on the history of military rations. (any help appreciated)
Odd rations appear on ebay from time to time but forget the world war 2 c's or K's, they cost an arm and a leg. There are companies on the net making edible replicas for re-enactors dating back to the US civil war. There are W.W.I replicas for all countries.
LRPs were bad, sometimes. I had some when I was in Laos during the viet namese war. Heated they weren't too bad, if you couldn't heat your water, they were terrible, if you had to eat them dry, well I will leave crunchy chili to your imagination.
Although the trend is to the freeze dried MRE type, Most armies still go for the boil-in-bag style. During the yugoslavian war, the Today show in the states did a taste test on the various militaries rations. Understand that the testers were main line news anchors. The mre's were dead last in the eat-only-if-you-are-starving category. Even the russian rations beat them. French were first (any surprise there?) with the british next. They liked the little bottle of wine the French rations had.
and lastly. the civilian emergency versions of the MRE used in feeding the starving masses in third world nations are horrible. The are composed of food(?) that violates nobodies religious taboo, so it is food that no human will eat. The starving Kosovians (SP) burned them as fuel rather then eat them. If I had just spent 30 days in a life raft without food and was cosidering my companion as a componet in my next meal, i might think of eating one.

If you want spanish combat rations (Normal and emergerncy ones) mail me and I will send you.

P.S. about the little tabasco botttles

During the viet nam war, so many GI's carried bottles of tabasco to pep up the taste ( or kill the taste) of c rations; that the company offered a free OD nylon belt holster built to carry a bottle. MRE's have always, as far as I know, still have included a little bottle in their accesary pack. The stuff usually clogs the bottle neck and is hard to get out. but it is a good idea.

Back