...ration pack entree? other item?

SigPig

In this thread I'm wondering what your favourite items were out of your field rations -- whether they were IMPs, MRE's, or K rations.

First, what is your favourite entree?

Second, what is your favourite non-entree food item?

My fave ration pack item was, is, and always shall be...the humble wieners and beens. Franks and Beans. Tube Steak and Repeaters. Always good, hot or cold; tastes just like Mom used to open.

My favourite non-entree was the maple-flavoured cereal; just add hot or cold water. Tasty, nourishing, and made good mortar for masonry.

Foxhole J.

The best I ever had was the year the MRE lots were all bad and recalled. In it's place we were given LRPs which are completely dehydrated. Oddly enough the LRPs chili was fantastic! Better than most restaurants.

As for regular MREs, spaghetti and meatballs for me. Even cold it was great.

Way back in the c-ration days the eggs and ham were actually often fought over in my unit.

Non-entre item? What could beat the "John Wayne" bar?

In the c-ration days it was a chocolate disc with bits of toffee in it. By MRE days it had become a bar of chocolate sans the toffee. The c-rations one was better and less fake tasting but the MRE one held up to summer heat better and thus it's less real chocolate taste. Either one though was a prized item. The name "John Wayne" bar was just because it was a military candy bar. No other reason.

Beef tortalini, hands down, hot or cold. The chocolate block in the Australian ration pack used to be awful, had the texture of soap, and the taste... but it got better.

AussieNick said:
Beef tortalini, hands down, hot or cold. The chocolate block in the Australian ration pack used to be awful, had the texture of soap, and the taste... but it got better.

am i right in thinking that the british style ration packs are superior to the US style MRE's?

i know i prefer the ones issued to the NZ defence forces (i take them on tramping/hunting trips) but when i can't get any i buy MRE style one....i'm not a big fan though :cry:

AussieNick said:
No idea about Brit rat packs, but I've been told that MRE's are better than what we get (taste wise anyway).

i'm guessing that that aussie ones are very similar to ours, in which case i reckon their better than the yank ones. IMO

just found these pics on an australian site...looks like yours are exactly the same!

ratpack1l.jpg

notice "new zealand" written on one of the items

Army_Ration_Packs.jpg

love those wee can openers i've got six of them here, prefer them to "proper" ones

chewie_nz said:
AussieNick said:
No idea about Brit rat packs, but I've been told that MRE's are better than what we get (taste wise anyway).

i'm guessing that that aussie ones are very similar to ours, in which case i reckon their better than the yank ones. IMO

just found these pics on an australian site...looks like yours are exactly the same!

ratpack1l.jpg

notice "new zealand" written on one of the items

Army_Ration_Packs.jpg

love those wee can openers i've got six of them here, prefer them to "proper" ones

As I am looking right know at the latest Australian CRP Menu "D" and it bears no resemblence to the above picture and all my time in the military I have never seen a CRP like this used in Australia so the website that you got it from is very much out of date or it is actually a Ration pack from New Zealand. Now that I have said this alot of our stuff in the CRP's does in fact come from New Zealand.

lips
the picture of the brit rations is way out of date mate our rations are all boil in the bag stuff now. the pork casserole is great so is the meatballs and pasta but the rest is crap

Haven't had too many yet (thank goodness), but of the ones I've tried, Menu 10 (Chili and Macaroni) was the best. I have a few left over from last year's AT, holding onto them just in case...

did anyone tasted a french combat ration one day ?

i have seen that the foreign soldiers appreciate it a lot during some international exercices.

For me, my prefered entree is "tuna rillette", and the one i hate is "ioled sardine"

:lol:

Back