Rare Somali air force pix!!! More to come

mig19_hargeysa_duqeeyey.gif
viet15-mig21.jpg

somali-airforce.jpg

Chilain.jpg

somaliahuntersl7.jpg

huntersom.jpg

y184339502269259.jpg

The MiG-17 and MiG-21 are most definitely not Somali.
The MiG-17 has a very poorly done photoshop job of the Somali flag on the tail fin and the MiG-21 clearly shows Soviet markings.
As for the Su-25, that could belong to any Su-25 operator.
Also, I don't think there's any record of the Su-25 flying for Somalia at any point in time.
Those Hawker Hunter photos, though, are authentic and are a rare and great find, though I'm not sure about the first one... doesn't seem Somali and the marking looks a bit photoshopped.
Thanks for the pics!

The MiG-21, MiG-17 and the Hunters were actually the backbone of the Somali airforce. The MiG-17 & 21 were supplied to Somalia by the Soviets at the height of their alliance, the Hunters were mostly second hand transfers from Jordan & UAE. Somalia in the late 80s got a few Su-25s on their hands through the Egypt and China. Somalia was in the middle of an all out war in 1977-1978 with Ethiopia, Soviets, Cuba, South Yemen, and East Germany and then a war of attrition in with the Ethiopians in the 80s so many of the Somali planes when they were delievered had their original markings on them from the previous country and were hastly painted over and thrown in the war.

Somalia in the late 80s got a few Su-25s on their hands through the Egypt and China.
This is incorrect neither country operated these types. Provide a source for this claim.

And my reference was to the photographs of the MiG-17 and MiG-21s, not the fact that Somalia operated them or not. I am aware that Somalia did operate such aircraft supplied by the Soviet Union.

If somalia had a stabile goverment and an operational air force they could deal with their armed fishermen themselves..
Then the western world wouldn´t have to spend a shitload of dollars on a UN Naval force sitting on their thumbs..

Hawker hunters were used here as a training aircraft back in the uhmm 70,s sometime.. Are there still operational Hunters out there?
Rock might have insight?
//KJ.

Well, nothing in the Somali inventory is flying as far as I know. Their Hawker Hunters were supplied by the UAE. The paint scheme in the first Hunter photo looks quite typical of what would have been painted onto British aircraft. Not sure if that's how the UAE would have painted their jets as well. Also the terrain below it doesn't look very barren.

It appears that Lebanon still operates the Hawker Hunter but I'm not sure about anyone else.
Also it has some private owners who fly it for fun.

A hilarious incident involving the Hunter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident

Last edited:
SigJohnson wow your ignorance and stereotype amazes me, this guy is not Somali, he is obviously West African most likely from Liberia or Sierra Leone. If you are going to post a pix of someone in your lame attempt at a half assed joke please make sure you have the right person at least.

c/Commander let me ask you something are you seriously insinuating their are Liberians in Somalia fighting their? Because we see what Liberians have done in their civil war and quite honestly even Somalis in our civil war were horrified at the Liberian for their brutality. The brutalities that have occurred in Liberia have never occurred in Somalia even in our time of civil war, their is a never will be West Africans fighting in Somalia. Its funny the extent people will go to throw dirt just to fulfill their agenda and make someone look bad.

Uh, no, I was "insinuating" that he was fighting in Monrovia at some point, which does not necessarily make him Liberian. It's funny the extent people will go to IOT throw dirt just to fulfill their agenda and make someone look bad.

c/Commander let me ask you something are you seriously insinuating their are Liberians in Somalia fighting their? Because we see what Liberians have done in their civil war and quite honestly even Somalis in our civil war were horrified at the Liberian for their brutality. The brutalities that have occurred in Liberia have never occurred in Somalia even in our time of civil war, their is a never will be West Africans fighting in Somalia. Its funny the extent people will go to throw dirt just to fulfill their agenda and make someone look bad.

c/Commander I apologize but if you look at it you will see that I wasn't trying to jump the gun; hence the reason why I asked is the what you are insinuating.... As for the last part about throwing dirt it wasn't directed at you it was directed at the guy who posted the pic, i should have been more clear so I apologize.

No, I checked when you called him out on it - the picture was taken in Monrovia during the fighting there a few years ago. But, seriously, a life jacket?

Yea in Liberia I also heard they gave drug concoction to child soldiers and spiritual beads and told them that when they fight the bullets can't pierce them... don't know any truth to it but that guy is probably doped up on drugs that were injected in him and he is thinking the life jacket is a bulletproof vest.

*I am going to be adding new pix of Somali air force in the aftermath to show all the fighter jets no lying destitute at air fields across the country, what a grim reminder of what it use to be.

The Somali air force jets now lying at their grave yards across former air force air fields across the country, a grim reminder of the cost of the civil war.

131075723_f76edb8e9d_m.jpg

3211075485_31ea6f0bc3.jpg

28.jpg

somaliamigsmt_4.jpg

somaliamigsmt_title.jpg
Blue 224 is a late model MiG-21. (M or more likely MF)
The green-grey camouflaged cargo plane in the background is an Aeritalia G222.

somaliamigsmt_0.jpg
(above) Blue 226 appears to be a MiG-21MF. It seems almost airworthy!

somaliamigsmt_2.jpg
(above) Blue 256 is another late model MiG-21.
somaliamigsmt_3.jpg
(above) More MiG-21s. The pale-coloured aircraft at the front seems to be a two-seater MiG-21UM, but it might also be the Chengdu equivalent. I expect that the colour is how they can be distinguished for I suppose the MiGs were a gift from Middle East country (hence the paint job) and Chengdus were Chinese aid. The blue plane is a Piaggio P166, while the brown light transport on the right is an Islander.

somaliamigsmt_1.jpg
(above) A colourful MiG-19 in the background and another late-model MiG-21 in the foreground. The plane on top is an Islander, of which there is another on the left with broken tailplane. The blue and white plane under the MiG is a Siai-Marchetti SF260 trainer.
somali-hunters-02.jpg

somalihuntersmt_1.jpg

somalihuntersmt_2.jpg

Outstanding photos! Rare finds too. Good to see something different for a change.
Yes that one MiG-21 does seem to be in good condition.
As for some others, I wonder how some planes managed to get stacked on top of the others...I mean, just how did that happen??

Thanx they really are a rare find!!! I was wondering the same thing myself, how did they manage to stack planes on top of others lol, i guess will never know... But it is sad to see the once proud Somali air force now lying around in destitute while its former officer prostitute themselves to the highest bidder warlord or pirate as mercenaries and planners... when Somalia could use officers like that for a better use in helping rebuild the country.

Back