Rare Somali air force pix!!! More to come

--

May 16th, 2009  
UnitedSomalia

Topic: Rare Somali air force pix!!! More to come

May 16th, 2009  
A Can of Man

The MiG-17 and MiG-21 are most definitely not Somali.
The MiG-17 has a very poorly done photoshop job of the Somali flag on the tail fin and the MiG-21 clearly shows Soviet markings.
As for the Su-25, that could belong to any Su-25 operator.
Also, I don't think there's any record of the Su-25 flying for Somalia at any point in time.
Those Hawker Hunter photos, though, are authentic and are a rare and great find, though I'm not sure about the first one... doesn't seem Somali and the marking looks a bit photoshopped.
Thanks for the pics!
May 16th, 2009  
UnitedSomalia

The MiG-21, MiG-17 and the Hunters were actually the backbone of the Somali airforce. The MiG-17 & 21 were supplied to Somalia by the Soviets at the height of their alliance, the Hunters were mostly second hand transfers from Jordan & UAE. Somalia in the late 80s got a few Su-25s on their hands through the Egypt and China. Somalia was in the middle of an all out war in 1977-1978 with Ethiopia, Soviets, Cuba, South Yemen, and East Germany and then a war of attrition in with the Ethiopians in the 80s so many of the Somali planes when they were delievered had their original markings on them from the previous country and were hastly painted over and thrown in the war.
--
May 16th, 2009  
rock45

Quote:
Somalia in the late 80s got a few Su-25s on their hands through the Egypt and China.
This is incorrect neither country operated these types. Provide a source for this claim.
May 16th, 2009  
A Can of Man

And my reference was to the photographs of the MiG-17 and MiG-21s, not the fact that Somalia operated them or not. I am aware that Somalia did operate such aircraft supplied by the Soviet Union.
May 16th, 2009  
KJ

If somalia had a stabile goverment and an operational air force they could deal with their armed fishermen themselves..
Then the western world wouldnŽt have to spend a shitload of dollars on a UN Naval force sitting on their thumbs..

Hawker hunters were used here as a training aircraft back in the uhmm 70,s sometime.. Are there still operational Hunters out there?
Rock might have insight?
//KJ.
May 16th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Well, nothing in the Somali inventory is flying as far as I know. Their Hawker Hunters were supplied by the UAE. The paint scheme in the first Hunter photo looks quite typical of what would have been painted onto British aircraft. Not sure if that's how the UAE would have painted their jets as well. Also the terrain below it doesn't look very barren.

It appears that Lebanon still operates the Hawker Hunter but I'm not sure about anyone else.
Also it has some private owners who fly it for fun.

A hilarious incident involving the Hunter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_...ridge_incident
May 16th, 2009  
c/Commander

Is that a life jacket?
May 16th, 2009  
UnitedSomalia

SigJohnson wow your ignorance and stereotype amazes me, this guy is not Somali, he is obviously West African most likely from Liberia or Sierra Leone. If you are going to post a pix of someone in your lame attempt at a half assed joke please make sure you have the right person at least.
May 16th, 2009  
c/Commander

He's Liberian (or was, at least, fighting there).