Rapid Deployment Force

ACTaFOOL82

I was wondering what ya'll think about it, pros, and cons. Also does the U.S.A already have a Rapid Deployment Force?

I think America should only have a selected few ready for rapid deployment, like Rangers, and SF. When you start moving around Infantry divisions rapidly you run out of supplies, and it expensive.

Its my case for debate class this year so if ya'll have any information it would be appreciated. :cowb:

Rapid Deployment Force

I think the MEUs can all be rapidly deployed, along with the 75th RGT. What exactly is the definition of "rapidly deployed?" Could the entire XVIII Airborne Corps be considered "rapidly deplyed?"

As GuyontheRight says, first get the definition of "Rapid Deployment"!

The essential part is to define what types of missions the Rapid Deployment force should be able to handle. This will give you an idea of the size and capability the unit should have. The way I understand it, Spec Ops forces will be sent in prior to the main force in order to prepare the area if necessary. These forces are high value assets and will be used accordingly.

Good luck with your preparations!

A Rapid Deployment Force, are a group of soldiers that can go very long distances in a short amount of, time and be ready to fight once at the destination or en route. :cowb:

I believe one of the Ranger battalions can be anywhere in the world within 18 hours and the others can be within a few days. Which is probally unmatched when you think of the size of a battalion.

Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU) and SOCMEU are always deployed around the world as RDF assets.Each Marine Division also maintains an Air Alert or Air contingency Bn. That is deployable by air within 24 hours of activation.

The 82nd Airborne also has a prominent RDF role.

BTW: Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) contains an entire division plus support units and airwing units. I believe you were referring to MEU.

The 101st Airborne Division has units that are always ready to deploy with in a day of being alerted. Basically, you bags are packed and ready to go. If you do not have a cell, you must let your command know where you are at all times. Sometimes we would be alerted to see how ready we were. We would go as far as loading trucks onto rail heads and sit in a hanger to simulate flying.

Light infantry is always the right choice for rapid deployment. Each soldier in a light infantry division needs only 2 duffel bags and a ruck sack to deploy. Also, HMMWV's are easy to deploy.

GuyontheRight said:
Could the entire XVIII Airborne Corps be considered "rapidly deplyed?"

I would say that the 18th Airborne Corps can be used as a rapid deployment force. When you need to get soldiers deployed fast, the 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne and 10th mountain Divisions best fit that roll.

yup, we had a DRF status the whole time your with the 18th airborne corps.Deployment Readiness Force 1 is wheels up and enroute in a matter of hours. DRF1 through DRF3 best I recollect.

82nd airborne is are rapid deployment force or it was till the war in iraq i dont know if it still is. During the 80's and 90's one brigade was on call and could be deployed boots on the ground any were in the world in like 12 hours or some thing might be 24 not sure on exact time. The other brigades rotated through the phases. The whole division was deployable in a few days. With the global war on terrisom we have prepostioned units around the world to act as a rapid deployment force. For instance there is a heavy mech brigade stationed in kuwait. I am not a marine so I dont know but arnt the meu's prepostioned arounnd the world as well to act as a rapid deployment force all my information comes from books written in the 90's I am sure its all changed.

Doody said:
The 101st Airborne Division has units that are always ready to deploy with in a day of being alerted. Basically, you bags are packed and ready to go. If you do not have a cell, you must let your command know where you are at all times. Sometimes we would be alerted to see how ready we were. We would go as far as loading trucks onto rail heads and sit in a hanger to simulate flying.

Light infantry is always the right choice for rapid deployment. Each soldier in a light infantry division needs only 2 duffel bags and a ruck sack to deploy. Also, HMMWV's are easy to deploy.

GuyontheRight said:
Could the entire XVIII Airborne Corps be considered "rapidly deplyed?"

I would say that the 18th Airborne Corps can be used as a rapid deployment force. When you need to get soldiers deployed fast, the 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne and 10th mountain Divisions best fit that roll.

informative post!

thnx

dont forget, it also depends upon the size of the operations you are talking about, as to how long a deployment takes.

With this Rapid Deployment Force, what are you talking about, are you saying, get their, secure the position, and wait for the rest of the Division or Battalion to get there, or are you talking about having an entire Division or Battalion ready to go at a moments notice

:rambo:

I reckon from his original post that he wishes to hear your opinion on EU,s new "battlegroups"..If he didn\t I would like to hear opinions and/or comments.

//KJ.

There are differences between Europe and the USA on this - like Norwegian IRF and RRF (Rapid Reaction Forces) were on 24 hour to 72 hours standby and the RRF/NSE with heavier equipment and vehicles came in the theatre after 7 to 14 days depending on the situation and location. The IRF force is set up as a light infantry brigade with equipment such as TOW, 81mm mortars and so on.

The US Marine Corps personell and the Canadian ones that were marked for operation in Northern Norway in case of a Russian invasion, were on 7 days notice, but a frontline unit could be deployed immediately thanks to the pre-located armour and equipment in the country.

This was in the mid 1990s, so the concept might have changed for my country's concern.

Last edited:
Back