Rapid Deployment Force

--

September 5th, 2004  
ACTaFOOL82

Topic: Rapid Deployment Force

I was wondering what ya'll think about it, pros, and cons. Also does the U.S.A already have a Rapid Deployment Force?

I think America should only have a selected few ready for rapid deployment, like Rangers, and SF. When you start moving around Infantry divisions rapidly you run out of supplies, and it expensive.

Its my case for debate class this year so if ya'll have any information it would be appreciated.
September 5th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Quote:
Rapid Deployment Force
I think the MEUs can all be rapidly deployed, along with the 75th RGT. What exactly is the definition of "rapidly deployed?" Could the entire XVIII Airborne Corps be considered "rapidly deplyed?"
September 5th, 2004  
SleepySweeper

As GuyontheRight says, first get the definition of "Rapid Deployment"!

The essential part is to define what types of missions the Rapid Deployment force should be able to handle. This will give you an idea of the size and capability the unit should have. The way I understand it, Spec Ops forces will be sent in prior to the main force in order to prepare the area if necessary. These forces are high value assets and will be used accordingly.

Good luck with your preparations!
--
September 5th, 2004  
ACTaFOOL82

A Rapid Deployment Force, are a group of soldiers that can go very long distances in a short amount of, time and be ready to fight once at the destination or en route.
September 5th, 2004  
Big_Z

I believe one of the Ranger battalions can be anywhere in the world within 18 hours and the others can be within a few days. Which is probally unmatched when you think of the size of a battalion.
September 6th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

Marines in general.
September 6th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

I dont think the regular USMC divisions would qualify, but the MEFs would
September 6th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

But the Marines can be deployed to any foreign shore within 24 hours if they have the approval of the President.
September 15th, 2004  
03USMC

Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU) and SOCMEU are always deployed around the world as RDF assets.Each Marine Division also maintains an Air Alert or Air contingency Bn. That is deployable by air within 24 hours of activation.

The 82nd Airborne also has a prominent RDF role.

BTW: Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) contains an entire division plus support units and airwing units. I believe you were referring to MEU.
September 15th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

The 101st Airborne Division has units that are always ready to deploy with in a day of being alerted. Basically, you bags are packed and ready to go. If you do not have a cell, you must let your command know where you are at all times. Sometimes we would be alerted to see how ready we were. We would go as far as loading trucks onto rail heads and sit in a hanger to simulate flying.

Light infantry is always the right choice for rapid deployment. Each soldier in a light infantry division needs only 2 duffel bags and a ruck sack to deploy. Also, HMMWV's are easy to deploy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
Could the entire XVIII Airborne Corps be considered "rapidly deplyed?"
I would say that the 18th Airborne Corps can be used as a rapid deployment force. When you need to get soldiers deployed fast, the 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne and 10th mountain Divisions best fit that roll.