Ranks?

echo

Im still a little confussed on how to get my rank to show up? Does my rank show up from how many posts Ive posted, or do I have to buy it will my milbucks? If it is susposed to just show up? Where is it?

As well, is there some sort of a chart that shows my the rank listings?

First off to have your rank to show up u have to buy the privilege from the PX; it will show up under your name whenever u post. To move up in rank u have to post more. The different levels of rank are in the Statistics.

Btw, out of curiousity, where did you find the 3 enlisted ranks at? They are rather intriguing in the way they are shaped and I was wondering what the others, if there are any, looked like.

What the heck, Douglas MacArthur was the only American military officer to hold the rank of Field Marshal. He was Field Marshal of the Philippines Army, back when the Philippines were a US dependency. So if it happened once, how says it couldn't happen again.

Is the 5 star thing the Field Marshall insigia? I've never been in the military so I'm afraid I don't know how to read that thing unless its on his shoulder.

No, the 5 stars are the rank insignia of General of the Army, which is a wartime rank. The last living General of the Army, Omar Bradley, died in 1981.

No, it isn't there. Perhaps a google search for Philippines military ranks will come up with the insignia for field marshal.

Do you know why they decided on General of the Army and not Field Marshal? Do you know why they decided to add the rank to begin with?

The reason there was never a US Field Marschal is because General George Marshall who was chief of staff at the time didn't want to be Field Marshall Marshall.

The reason they added the rank was because there were Field Marshals in the British military commanded by a US General (Eisenhower) and it was felt unseemly that someone who held a lesser rank should command them. 5 star is the US equivelent of Field Marshal.

Going even further back, it wasn't until the Civil War that there were even full generals in the US military. Grant being the first. This goes back to the founding days of the country when Field Marshals, and Admirals were looked upon with disdain as tokens of aristocracy the founding fathers wanted no part of.

This might be off topic but just FYI,
The American military adapted most of its rank insignia from the British. Before the Revolutionary War, Americans drilled with militia outfits based on the British tradition. Sailors followed the example of the most successful navy of the time -- the Royal Navy.

So, the Continental Army had privates, sergeants, lieutenants, captains, colonels, generals, and several now-obsolete ranks like coronet, subaltern and ensign. One thing the Army didn't have was enough money to buy uniforms.

To solve this, Gen. George Washington wrote, "As the Continental Army has unfortunately no uniforms, and consequently many inconveniences must arise from not being able to distinguish the commissioned officers from the privates, it is desired that some badge of distinction be immediately provided; for instance that the field officers may have red or pink colored cockades in their hats, the captains yellow or buff, and the subalterns green."

Even during the war, rank insignia evolved. In 1780, regulations prescribed two stars for major generals and one star for brigadiers worn on shoulder boards, or epaulettes.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/jointservices/l/blrankhistory.htm

Back