Rank the Tank!

cokeisthebest said:
Doppleganger said:
Cadet Seaman said:
Doppleganger said:
Watched a '10 Greatest Ever Tanks" show broadcast on Channel 5 in the UK. Not sure what research was conducted or who was truly consulted but makes for an interesting list with some odd choices.

10 - Sherman
09 - Sheridan
08 - Panther
07 - T-72
06 - S-Tank
05 - Centurion
04 - Merkava
03 - T-34
02 - Abrams
01 - Leopard 2.

i think it is T-34 ranked the top in that show , as it gave the greatest impact in history compare to all other tanks.

Sherman.

than probably we watched the different show (I watched last week), but I do believe that T-34 has done a more decisive role in WW2, as it fought a much larger number of german tanks than Sherman did. (ex. the great tank battle in Krusk).

cokeisthebest said:
than probably we watched the different show (I watched last week), but I do believe that T-34 has done a more decisive role in WW2, as it fought a much larger number of german tanks than Sherman did. (ex. the great tank battle in Krusk).

Yes, but what tank swept across North Africa, and Ran though Normandy hedgerows, what tank was lent to the British and Russians? The Sherman.

35,000 T-34's built in 1944

49,000 Shermans in 1944

could you give a source for the number of t-34 produced?

and by the way, there were not many significant tank battles fought by Shermans in my opinion (correct me if i am wrong) in comparision to the number of German tanks T-34 had to face.

and Shermans seemed to be not so popular in Soviet Union's front in WW2.

cokeisthebest said:

and by the way, there were not many significant tank battles fought by Shermans in my opinion (correct me if i am wrong) in comparision to the number of German tanks T-34 had to face.

I got that info from a WWII Military Historian. Really no significant tank battles fought by it? Well I guess that Europe could have done without it. The Sherman came in 19 different models and many used the same chassis, while the T-34 had the 76 and 85 models. The Sherman was an Infantry Support tank, as was the T-34. You play too many video games.

cokeisthebest said:

I happen to agree with you that the T-34 was the most influential tank of WW2, had the most decisive role and paved the way for future tank design. But the Sherman was hugely important also (for different reasons) not least because of the sheer numbers that existed on the battlefield.

Cadet Seaman said:
cokeisthebest said:

I got that info from a WWII Military Historian. Really no significant tank battles fought by it? Well I guess that Europe could have done without it. The Sherman came in 19 different models and many used the same chassis, while the T-34 had the 76 and 85 models. The Sherman was an Infantry Support tank, as was the T-34. You play too many video games.

Sherman had no chance against t-34 it was a superior machine in every way, its a known fact, the only thing that Sherman had on the battlefield is numbers.

Soviet tank crews called Sherman "grave for five"

overall, i think that the T-34 was more important too. it faced better opponents (IMO) and it was the forerunner of most modern tanks. it had a huge role in WW2, as did the Sherman, but I think that what the T-34 did was greater than what the Sherman did.

both Shermans and T-34 were sort of using tank-wave tactics fighting against quality-superior but much less number of German Panzer Vs and Tigers.

I watched on TV that showed how 4 Shermans killed one Panzer V by sacrificing first three and moving the last one close in order to kill one single Panzer V.

so does T-34, which used pretty much the same tactic to get close to German tanks in order to kill them.

but I do believe that T-34 faced much more number of German tanks in tank battles such as in Kursk.

both are great tanks that won the war for us.
A simple design and large number were proven too deadly for German's expensive, unreliable new tanks.

Cadet Seaman said:
The T-34 is just like the Sherman.

IT IS NOT! you can just see its 2 different tanks.

Take off your American pride glasses and watch the world with the normal eyes.

Snauhi said:

No need to raise your voice there. Even if soviet tank crews would have been given nothing but shermans back then the outcome would still be the same.
Personally I don't see so huge difference between the two tanks, especially if talking about the later variant of sherman with that longer barrelled main gun and T-34/85, I don't know so much about shermans flaws or faults but T-34 for sure lacked communication equipment, I've heard that only the command tanks had some kind of radio inside them :?

Snauhi said:

No need to raise your voice there. Even if soviet tank crews would have been given nothing but shermans back then the outcome would still be the same.
Personally I don't see so huge difference between the two tanks, especially if talking about the later variant of sherman with that longer barrelled main gun and T-34/85, I don't know so much about shermans flaws or faults but T-34 for sure lacked communication equipment, I've heard that only the command tanks had some kind of radio inside them :?

I think Cadet Seaman means that the tactics of Shermans and T-34s and their impacts are pretty much the same:

1. both used numbers to beat the quality-superior german tanks
2. both were the critical factors for the final victory of ww2.
3. both are simpily designed and mass produced.

cokeisthebest said:
I think Cadet Seaman means that the tactics of Shermans and T-34s and their impacts are pretty much the same:

yeah everything is right expect the first point, T-34 was better then almost any german tank expect Tiger series.

Snauhi said:
cokeisthebest said:

yeah everything is right expect the first point, T-34 was better then almost any german tank expect Tiger series.

And the Panther series of course. IMO the Panther was the best tank in WW2, though it was a German copy of the T-34.

Doppleganger said:
Snauhi said:
cokeisthebest said:

And the Panther series of course. IMO the Panther was the best tank in WW2, though it was a German copy of the T-34.

Yeah i forgot about that.

Back