Rank the Tank! - Page 4

--

February 3rd, 2005  
Shadowalker

Hey, thats ok, is the Olifant still in service? i read somewhere they were being decommissioned but dont know if thats true or not
February 7th, 2005  
rocco

olifant is basically like a sho't... i would assume they would be commisioned, because the centurion hulls are not able to contain all the needed parts of a modern MBT... unlike the M60 which can, and is still being used and upgraded
February 10th, 2005  
Ashes

Hard to choose between the Western tanks in tank on tank duel, whoever gets the first shot in from the side I guess.

The Challenger and M1 have been tested in battle, albeit against pathetic opposition.
I like the autoloader on the Leclerk, can fire 12 rounds a minute.
If I had to go for one, I think it would be the Swedish version of the Leopard 2A5, they designate the 2A6.
--
February 10th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes
Hard to choose between the Western tanks in tank on tank duel, whoever gets the first shot in from the side I guess.

The Challenger and M1 have been tested in battle, albeit against pathetic opposition.
I like the autoloader on the Leclerk, can fire 12 rounds a minute.
If I had to go for one, I think it would be the Swedish version of the Leopard 2A5, they designate the 2A6.
The Leclerc's autoloader isn't any faster then a human loader. It can load a round in 5 seconds while a human loader can load a shell in 3 while stationary and 5 while moving, some even faster. The Swedish version of the Leopard isn't the 2A6, it's called the Strv-122. The Leopard 2A6 is the latest tank deployed in the German army.
February 12th, 2005  
AlexKall

The STRV 122 and Leo 2 A6 are simular though, the STRV 122 is considered (by many) better then the A6. Only the cannon and engine is considered better in the A6
February 12th, 2005  
Armyjaeger

If you're looking for old equipment still in action look from the Africa conflicts, I've seen pictures of insurgents holding StG-44 assault rifles

About that tank ranking, personally I would rank western tanks over east and my list looks something like this

Leopard 2A6
Challenger2
M1A2 Abrams
Merkava mk4

I believe merkava 4 hasn't seen much action but it can't be any worse than its previous model.
The reason I rank Leo2 and Challenger over abrams is because of fuel efficiency, I may be wrong about the abrams A2 but the A1 is one freaking gas hog.
February 12th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

M1A2 Cruising Range: 265 miles (426km)
Challenger 2 Cruising Range: 280 miles (450km)
Not much of a difference, eh? Factor the M1A2's higher speed and better acceleration I would give the M1A2 the mobility category against the Challenger.
Leopard 2 Cruising Range: 341 miles (550km)
Winner.
February 12th, 2005  
Shadowalker

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/challenger2/

Challenger 2E - range 550km and 300hp more than challenger 2 going from 1200hp to 1500hp.
February 12th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

the Challenger 2E isn't in service anywhere. It came in last in Greek Army trials as well
February 13th, 2005  
rocco

some people are using tanks action as a example, has the leo even been in action?