Rank the Tank! - Page 14

--

June 26th, 2005  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman

The Leo's design is simular to the M1's. Considering that both tanks are the predecessors of the failed MBT 70. A tank the US and Germany built together. So they are some what equal on some levels.

Quote:
Abrams Integrated Management (AIM)
The Abrams Integrated Management (AIM) program is completely rebuilding every M1A1 Abrams tank in U.S. Army Europe over a three year perios. The AIM program is a part of the Recapitalization Program that was established to extend the life of the Army's aging legacy equipment. AIM will provide long-term sustainment of M1A1 Abrams tanks through fiscal year 2025. Higher-than- normal mileage for the tanks during operations in the Balkans and training in Germany made the overhaul necessary. The Military Traffic Management Command's (MTMC's) 838th Transportation Battalion at Rotterdam, The Netherlands, received the first tanks for shipment to the United States in September 2000. Up to 75 percent of the tanks were not operational. MTMC transported the tanks to Anniston Army Depot, Alabama, where they are be disassembled. The hull, turret, engine, and other parts are sent to the tank production plant in Lima, Ohio, to be reworked. MTMC returns the rebuilt tanks to Europe, where they will be swapped one-for-one with tanks that still need repair. The first shipment of rebuilt tanks arrive in Europe by fall 2001.
Re-built, uparmored, and redesigned M1's.
Argh this is really long quote.

And yes i know about MBT 70, looked alot like todays tanks

The tanks are usually repaired. Never seen a Leo tank that is not operational and cant be fixed. But every model of the Leo 2 can be updated (atleast from A4, not sure of A1 - A3) to the latest model, currently the Leo 2 A6EX.

I don't see the benefit to take the engine and a few other things and then building a new one unless its not repairable.

And as Shadowalker said, that would be true

EDIT: cleaned the quote area
June 26th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:

I've played against Leo 2A4's on Steel Beasts US Army simulator and the Leo's turret pops off when its hit, (most likey ammo cooking off) and the Leo's first APFSDS-T rounds only damagea the M1A1's GPS and the TIS, while the M1A1's takes out the whole Leo, but thats from a virtual prespective.

The 2A4 is protected against HEAT rounds, not APFSDS.
The damage and armor models in Steel Beasts aren't exactly the most accuate.
June 27th, 2005  
Miss-Banned

I don' t know much about tanks. We don't have a use for them here.

I guess a fast moving tank is better, because you never know when you have to make a quick gettaway.
--
July 4th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Watched a '10 Greatest Ever Tanks" show broadcast on Channel 5 in the UK. Not sure what research was conducted or who was truly consulted but makes for an interesting list with some odd choices.

10 - Sherman
09 - Sheridan
08 - Panther
07 - T-72
06 - S-Tank
05 - Centurion
04 - Merkava
03 - T-34
02 - Abrams
01 - Leopard 2
July 4th, 2005  
Shadowalker

Interesting, didnt get to see the program due to work, would of thought the T-34 would be up number 1, centurion a bit higher possibly.
July 5th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Watched a '10 Greatest Ever Tanks" show broadcast on Channel 5 in the UK. Not sure what research was conducted or who was truly consulted but makes for an interesting list with some odd choices.

10 - Sherman
09 - Sheridan
08 - Panther
07 - T-72
06 - S-Tank
05 - Centurion
04 - Merkava
03 - T-34
02 - Abrams
01 - Leopard 2
Which Abrams? M1, M1A1, M1A1-D,M1A2 SEP?
July 5th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Quote:

10 - Sherman
09 - Sheridan
08 - Panther
07 - T-72
06 - S-Tank
05 - Centurion
04 - Merkava
03 - T-34
02 - Abrams
01 - Leopard 2
Which Abrams? M1, M1A1, M1A1-D,M1A2 SEP?
Didn't gave any variants for any of the tanks. Rated the Leo 2 as the best because it satisfied best the 3 classic ratings for a tank and because of its modular design which ensured easy component diagnosis and replacement. I'm not sure which M1 variant was mainly shown but it looked like either the A5 or A6 Leo variant.

IMO it's not that useful to have an overall list like this and would be more comparative to have a 'best tank of an era' listing instead.
July 5th, 2005  
SHERMAN

I agree. It's really better to divide them o eras. also note that modern tanks are almost impossible to rate since its all classified...
July 6th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Yes I must agree. The base line M1 was built the same time as the T-72 while the A1 was built at the time of the T-80 and the A2 built at the same time as the T-90.
July 9th, 2005  
WARmachine88

[quote="Doppleganger"][quote="Cadet Seaman"]
Quote:

10 - Sherman
09 - Sheridan
08 - Panther
07 - T-72
06 - S-Tank
05 - Centurion
04 - Merkava
03 - T-34
02 - Abrams
01 - Leopard 2.
i think it is T-34 ranked the top in that show , as it gave the greatest impact in history compare to all other tanks.