Rank the Tank!

Shadowalker said:
You cant say the M1A2 is a fast tank if you to class it as that your taking the turret and governor off as it wont be going into combat without the governor and can you see a tank going into combat without a turret?

Leclercs cross country is 50km/h = 31.25mph
M1A1 " 30mph
CH2 40km/h 25mph
Merkava 4 55km/h 34.3 mph

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/#Main_Battle_Tanks

From reading that and getting those stats the merkava can go up to 55km/h off road so it is actually the fastest!

Where do you get those stats? The M1A1's top speed goverened is 45 mph. The M60A3 TTS is 32 mph.

I used the link i provided. Choose a tank and scroll down to specifications. The speeds i put are cross country speeds not road speeds as combat is more likely to happen off road.

Shadowalker said:
I used the link i provided. Choose a tank and scroll down to specifications. The speeds i put are cross country speeds not road speeds as combat is more likely to happen off road.

Not in Iraq. Ok the Merkava is 4 mph faster than the M1.

Assuming that there is a giant concrete pad spanning from NYC to Moscow who's the fastest? This is totally theoretical.

M1: 45 MPH

Merkakva: 37 MPH

Leo 2A6: 44 MPH

CH2 2: 36 MPH

Leclrec: 43 MPH

T-80U: 31 MPH

M60A3 TTS: 30 MPH

rank the tank

Leo2A6
Stv122
CH2
M1A2
Type-90 Japan
T-80+variants
Leclerc

IMO the Leopard 2A6 for its more economical then the others listed
besides if look over the gun manlet gang do any of the other have what
it has, what if the TTS and the commanders TTS are knocked by heavy
MGS hows the crew going to aim and fire the main gun.

Not many countries have deep pockets and don't want a gass hog
eating up fuel cost like M1 family and the stuff about DU ammo and
armor forces many DM or SecD to put the M1A2 on there list of not
to buy, the Germans have something good in the Leo2 especially the A6
not counting the German use of it 10 other nations have chosen it as there battle tank over the M1A2,CH2&LeClerc because of also good
salesmanship so even if the M1A1/A2 get retrofitted with diesels
engines it will be to late for M1Avariants to try to make sales to
Leo2. :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

The Chinese T-99G weighs only 50 tons, it has that same carousal auto-loader like the T-72, and it is a turret popping death trap. The put on the hull ”passive armor” is also a reminder of how technically backward the PLA really is.

The best tanks in service today have 5th generation Chobham armor.

M1A2 ABRAMS steel encased depleted uranium armor. This 75-ton tank is the king of the battlefield.

Challenger 2 is to be re-gunned with a faster firing Rheinmetall L55 smoothbore gun, instead of the slower but longer range L30, 120mm-rifled tank gun that was designed for the Chieftain.

The third best tank is the Israeli Merkava Mk 4 with its top protected from the latest anti-tank missiles. 7/8 of the front hull has a 12-cylinder engine to absorb direct hits from any 120/122/125mm gun and still save the crew.

The rest of the European tanks are about equal; any one of the above tanks is only as good as the crew and logistics. So I’d rather bet my life on a Israeli Merkava Mk 4.

dvo47p what the source for the CH2 getting the L55 :?: are the brits desperate to be equal with the rest of the world there kissing off the
rifled gun 120mm for good to bad they would have made at lots sales
if it and CH1 had carried 120mm smoothbore instead of separate ammo & charges and not had 120mm rifle.

Re: rank the tank

warhappy100 said:
Leo2A6
Stv122
CH2
M1A2
Type-90 Japan
T-80+variants
Leclerc

IMO the Leopard 2A6 for its more economical then the others listed
besides if look over the gun manlet gang do any of the other have what
it has, what if the TTS and the commanders TTS are knocked by heavy
MGS hows the crew going to aim and fire the main gun.

Not many countries have deep pockets and don't want a gass hog
eating up fuel cost like M1 family and the stuff about DU ammo and
armor forces many DM or SecD to put the M1A2 on there list of not
to buy, the Germans have something good in the Leo2 especially the A6
not counting the German use of it 10 other nations have chosen it as there battle tank over the M1A2,CH2&LeClerc because of also good
salesmanship so even if the M1A1/A2 get retrofitted with diesels
engines it will be to late for M1 variants to try to make sales to
Leo2. :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

A2 maybe a gas hog, but then again it takes four types of fuel and has a great power to weight ratio.

"A2 maybe a gas hog, but then again it takes four types of fuel"

Leopard 2A5 and up (not sure about A4 fut expect the same from it) can take several different kinds of fuel, its a multi fuel engine.

AlexKall said:

Leopard 2A5 and up (not sure about A4 fut expect the same from it) can take several different kinds of fuel, its a multi fuel engine.

Tubine?

Seaman the M1A2 maybe multifuel but regardless so its still a gas
hoggy and besides the Leo2A6 with a APU makes M1A1/A2 SEP users wish for a APU cause as of right now its the king gas hog while the Leo2A6 more economical for all want a bad :cen: killing machine.

:eek:fftopic: Aussies were smart to buy M1A1s without DU there smart
consumer and wise but why did'nt Leo2A6 win :?: They previously had Leo1s

warhappy100 said:
:eek:fftopic: Aussies were smart to buy M1A1s without DU there smart consumer and wise but why did'nt Leo2A6 win :?: They previously had Leo1s

Possibly a political decision as much as a military one.

Cadet Seaman said:
AlexKall said:

Tubine?

No? I'm sure you know what engine the Leo 2 A5 got ;)

Even a normal diesel engine in your ordinary car is multifuel, well for most part atleast ;)

AlexKall said:
Cadet Seaman said:
AlexKall said:

Tubine?

Even a normal diesel engine in your ordinary car is multifuel, well for most part atleast ;)

Ya, but can it take diesel, JP-8, gasoline, and kero.

warhappy100 said:
Seaman the M1A2 maybe multifuel but regardless so its still a gas
hoggy and besides the Leo2A6 with a APU makes M1A1/A2 SEP users wish for a APU cause as of right now its the king gas hog while the Leo2A6 more economical for all want a bad :cen: killing machine.

:eek:fftopic: Aussies were smart to buy M1A1s without DU there smart
consumer and wise but why did'nt Leo2A6 win :?: They previously had Leo1s

Do you mean Auxillary Power Unit when you say APU?

The M1A2 SEP has a UAAPU that runs off a generator on the turret rack.

The baseline M1A1 has Chobham, the M1A1HC has the added DU mesh. Maybe they disliked the Leo 1's and decided they wanted M1's.

Cadet Seaman said:
AlexKall said:
Cadet Seaman said:
AlexKall said:

Tubine?

Yes a diesel can take diesel ;) JP-8, not sure, but it can take Ethanol. And no I don't know every type of fuel it can take. I'll try to find out, unless someone here knows :)

AlexKall said:
Cadet Seaman said:
AlexKall said:
Cadet Seaman said:
AlexKall said:

Tubine?

Yes a diesel can take diesel ;) JP-8, not sure, but it can take Ethanol. And no I don't know every type of fuel it can take. I'll try to find out, unless someone here knows :)

Almost anything can take Ethanol.

Yep auxiliary power unit besides and what M1A2 is just rush setup and not in very wise spot.

Tanks are for killing big time, APC/IFV are for carrying fresh meat for the grinder. :tank: :m16shoot: :biggun:

warhappy100 said:
Yep auxiliary power unit besides and what M1A2 is just rush setup and not in very wise spot.

Tanks are for killing big time, APC/IFV are for carrying fresh meat for the grinder. :tank: :m16shoot: :biggun:

What? You have totally lost me.

The UAAPU (Under Armor Auxillary Power Unit) consist of a turbine engine, a generator, and a hydraulic pump. The generator is capable of producing 6 Kilowatts of electrical power at 214 Amps, 28 vdc, and the hydraulic pump is capable of delivering 10 Kilowatts of hydraulic power. The UAAPU can meet the electrical and hydraulic power to operate all electronic and hydraulic components used during mounted surveilance operations and charge the tank's main batteries. The UAAPU will reduce Operational and Support cost by utilizing the same fuel as the tank at a reduced rate of 3-5 gallons per operational hour. The UAAPU is mounted on the left rear sponson fuel cell area and weighs 510 pounds.

Back