Rangers

If you go to MCRD San Diego, you'll be seeing (that is, going up and down) a lot of mountains especially once you go to SOI. Have fun lol.

Well you guys are going to laugh but after reading about rangers training I am going to look at the marine corps. Oh well i am not going to fool myself and say I am ready for that mountain training ha.

Rock on with your bad self! Make your mark! It's a freakin cake walk for a stud like you!

@03USMC. Mate. do the Marines still do the arctic warfare role? I met some leathernecks who were training here in Oz after a trip to Norway. (This was back in the late 80's).

Depends on their tasking, I went through twice with the same Regt once, transferred and went through it again. Generally Arctic and Mountain are part of a MEU package.

Ok, here's the deal about becoming a Ranger...

There is Ranger school, which is a leadership school. Then there is the Ranger regiment. They are not mutually exclusive.

Ranger school is open to all Combat Arms Officers and NCO's, and if you go to the Ranger regiment, you will go through the school once you are slotted in a leadership position. Failure to pass Ranger school will mean you must leave the regiment at that point. Ranger school is 8 weeks long broken down into 3 phases. Darby phase, mountain phase, and jungle phase. Don't be fooled by the 8 weeks though, only about 15 to 20 percent of attendees complete Ranger school on their first go. It has a 60 percent failure rate as a whole and the training will usually last 10 to 14 weeks for successful completion. It is a suck fest...you will burn several thousand calories a day every day and only be allowed to take in about 2000 calories a day for sustenance. You will only be allowed 3-4 hours of sleep a day (rarely all at once) and it is not uncommon for attendees to be hallucinating from sleep deprivation and exhaustion by the time they reach the jungle phase. Expect to lose about 20% of your body mass, ruck with 100lbs or more for dozens of miles day in and day out, and expect almost ridiculous uncompromising standards from the RIs. It doesn't matter how good of shape you are in, your body will break down and it will fail...the key is to push through it and force your will to take you to mission accomplishment.

Now, the Ranger regiment has RASP meaning Ranger Assession and Selection Process. It too is 8 weeks long and all members of the Regiment must pass this selection and indoctrination process to become a beret wearing member of the Ranger Bat. It too is a suck fest and tests your will to become a Ranger. The thing about the Ranger regiment is that every time you move up a position within the Regiment, you must go through RASP again, from the Team leader to the Regiment commander. That way, nobody can "hide behind their tab".

I'll mirror what the others have said on here...be prepared to train, train, and train...deploy to the hell holes of the world and have one of the highest optempos in the entire US arsenal. You will be cold, hot, miserable, exhausted, frustrated, more exhaustion, and be held to higher standards than any unit in the US Army...but...you will find that the caliber of men who are in units like this would do it all over and over to be a member of this unit and the professionalism that comes with it.

Well I am still training and waiting to join I have one more year till I can join (financial reasons). Going to talk to an army recruiter to see what field to join.

Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse....rehearse.........rehearse.....Walk through it....walk through it.....Get noticed your Team is on QA...watch the other Teams rehearse as you are at the starting point letting your natural aggressiveness work up to the right point.....watch the others rehearse.. New intel...Break it down and start over with rehearsals.....rehearse....rehearse... Get stand to...Adrenalin pumping...work quick and with purpose....adrenalin.... stack up at you BP.....breathe..control yourself....Get stood down for whatever b******t reason...Put the pin back in yourself..wind down...Get relieved from QA....rehearse...rehearse...rehearse..Yawning...rehearse..New intel...Break it down.....Start over..Rehearse...
Do this for 48 hours..

Sound like fun?

Good luck in your endeavors..

Bootneck, there is something seriously wrong with you.. Heh

KJ sends..

Last edited:
Bootneck, there is something seriously wrong with you.. Heh

KJ sends..
It takes one to know one ;-)

I can´t help it.
I love every minute of it, I love the challenge, I love the extreme, I love to tackle the wild and I love when a exercise or an operational task under extreme conditions has been completed successfully. I might be tired, wet, starving and filthy but I am still smiling. F*** .... I feel so much alive.

I love every minute of it, I love the challenge, I love the extreme, I love to tackle the wild and I love when a exercise or an operational task under extreme conditions has been completed successfully. I might be tired, wet, starving and filthy but I am still smiling. F*** .... I feel so much alive.

And there it is, in a nutshell.
You my friend have a way with words.. Just don´t do something stupid like go writing a book..:hide::p

I hear it´s something similar across the pond..Only they got some Hollywood per diem while doing it..

I have always said.. I´d do this **** for free, and the stupid buggers pay me..

KJ sends..

It takes one to know one ;-)

I can´t help it.

Absolutely!

It's funny, I talk to civilians and tell them about some of things we do and they seem horrified at what I tell them. They're like "If it's so bad, then why on earth is there anyone in the Army at all?" or " you couldn't pay me enough to do that."...I tell them, "I didn't say anything about it being bad! I thought I was saying what was good!" and " If you think I do this for the pay then I have some great beach real estate to show you in Arizona"

You have to love it. You have to love the mission. You have to love the soldiers. It's more than a passion. It's more than a drive. It's an absolute focus of determination, love, and perseverence. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a grin on my face every time we get back from a successfull mission...or get a little pissed off when I'm not able to GO on the mission...lol...I just feel it's my place.

Last edited:
Sounds like its tough but fuffiling. I went a recruiter he said i should be an army mechanic since i work on cars for a living now. However i would like to kick some ass more than anything, a guy i work with was in the marines he loved it but said the army is a better carreer. It looks like Rangers get to do all the fun stuff though.

Back