Ranger School

You mean Ranger School? If so, there is one, it has three phases though: Benning Phase, Mountain Phase, and Florida Phase, and it is based out of Ft. Benning, Georgia.

I'm with you Private Shadow. I really would like to be a Ranger. I'm not sure if I am qualified though... I'll talk to a recruiter about it. PM, maybe we can talk.

What's this, the wannabe Ranger club? :lol:

<-- notice sn

Its just a dream for me, not an option. Not yet anyway.

Firstly, Ranger school does not, and will not make you a Ranger. Many people have Ranger tabs, but they aren't Rangers. The only way to become a Ranger is to serve in a Ranger Battalion. If you want to do that:

Go to your recruiter and ask for the Option 40 contract. If you're able to obtain that (don't settle for anything less), you'll be guaranteed Abn (BAC) school and RIP (Ranger Indoctronation Program) after OSUT (Basic and AIT (Infantry) combined into one).

BAC is three weeks long. Hold over is usually a week, but some can go directly after OSUT. If you don't make it through BAC, you'll be kicked over to a leg (non-airborne) unit. 101st, 3ID, 4ID, etc.

RIP is 2.5 - 3 weeks long and it's a gut check. You get one shot to make it to a Ranger Battalion, and this is it. If you're not in the best physical condition of your life .. you won't make it. And if you are, then there is a 20-30% chance you'll make it. If you do pass RIP, you are now a Ranger and you'll be assigned to a Ranger Battalion. Sometimes, if you are very lucky, you'll get to choose 1st, 2d or 3d .. most of the time, you're assigned. If you don't pass, you'll be assigned to 82nd, 173d or maybe even a leg unit like the 101st, etc.

Once in Battalion you'll spend about a year being hazed, harassed and abused while learning everything you can. One: You're a cherry (New guy) and two: you're tabless (Don't have the Rgr tab). After about a year (it's possible to go in 8 mons if you're squared away), and once you've proven yourself .. you will be sent to Ranger School.

Ranger school has three phases.
Beginning Phase at Ft. Benning, Georgia (4th RTB [Ranger Training Battalion])
Mountain Phase at Dahlonega, Georgia (5th RTB)
Florida Phase at Eglin AFB, Florida (6th RTB)

Once you graduate Ranger school, you're sent back to battalion and you're a Tabbed Spec4 (E-4).

Life in batt is hard, you'll spend your entire three/four years proving yourself every day, with or without a Rgr tab, because they can DX you at any time.

I'm wondering on what i can do to get my body into shape to be a ranger, like what kinda stuff do u guys do. I would like to be able to get my body into shape for the ranger stages and what are the three stages of ranger school

what are the three stages of ranger school

Read the post above, they are already listed. Attention to detail is very important if you're going to attempt serving in a Ranger batt.

As to what you can do to get into shape. Run, run and when you're tired, run some more. Work on push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups. When you're able to run 10 miles fairly easy, go and buy a ruck .. pack it with about 10lbs to start .. ruck a mile. Increase the weight and distance as you progress. Eat right, take care of your feet. Go to google and type in "US NAVY EOD Warning Order" .. they have a good excercise program written out and will help you.

RnderSafe said:
Firstly, Ranger school does not, and will not make you a Ranger. Many people have Ranger tabs, but they aren't Rangers. The only way to become a Ranger is to serve in a Ranger Battalion. If you want to do that:

Go to your recruiter and ask for the Option 40 contract. If you're able to obtain that (don't settle for anything less), you'll be guaranteed Abn (BAC) school and RIP (Ranger Indoctronation Program) after OSUT (Basic and AIT (Infantry) combined into one).

BAC is three weeks long. Hold over is usually a week, but some can go directly after OSUT. If you don't make it through BAC, you'll be kicked over to a leg (non-airborne) unit. 101st, 3ID, 4ID, etc.

RIP is 2.5 - 3 weeks long and it's a gut check. You get one shot to make it to a Ranger Battalion, and this is it. If you're not in the best physical condition of your life .. you won't make it. And if you are, then there is a 20-30% chance you'll make it. If you do pass RIP, you are now a Ranger and you'll be assigned to a Ranger Battalion. Sometimes, if you are very lucky, you'll get to choose 1st, 2d or 3d .. most of the time, you're assigned. If you don't pass, you'll be assigned to 82nd, 173d or maybe even a leg unit like the 101st, etc.

Once in Battalion you'll spend about a year being hazed, harassed and abused while learning everything you can. One: You're a cherry (New guy) and two: you're tabless (Don't have the Rgr tab). After about a year (it's possible to go in 8 mons if you're squared away), and once you've proven yourself .. you will be sent to Ranger School.

Ranger school has three phases.
Beginning Phase at Ft. Benning, Georgia (4th RTB [Ranger Training Battalion])
Mountain Phase at Dahlonega, Georgia (5th RTB)
Florida Phase at Eglin AFB, Florida (6th RTB)

Once you graduate Ranger school, you're sent back to battalion and you're a Tabbed Spec4 (E-4).

Life in batt is hard, you'll spend your entire three/four years proving yourself every day, with or without a Rgr tab, because they can DX you at any time.

hi Rndersafe..i'm new to this site and i recently joined the Army Reserves for 2 yrs now...how do these people just get ranger tabs?? i'm always wondering about that...i want to learn more about the military training and the army's history..very interesting. thanks

[quote="JurakS
hi Rndersafe..i'm new to this site and i recently joined the Army Reserves for 2 yrs now...how do these people just get ranger tabs?? i'm always wondering about that...i want to learn more about the military training and the army's history..very interesting. thanks[/quote]

No one "just" gets a Ranger Tab. One has to complete Ranger school to earn it. Ranger School is a leadership school - It is a basic school for small unit tactics and a bit of a gut check. Getting a slot to the school really depends on your MOS and your CO. All Rangers (those in a Ranger battalion) must attend and graduate the school. A lot of your regular infantry lads attempt to gain a slot, a lot go and pass .. and that's why you'll sometimes see an 11B leg (Non-abn qual'd) with 3ID sporting the tab. He'll bring back what he learned, and teach others. Infantry officers also attend, every one is offered a slot .. not all choose to go, but the option is there and prefered since it is a leadership school.

will that count reservists too? or do they have to be active?

Yes, reservists can attend, though most units will not spend the money unless it's for a combat arms soldier, mostly 11Bs. And some simply don't have the money. It depends, really. If you're interested, speak to your CO, sometimes it works out they're excited they have a hard-charger and will get you a slot.

RnderSafe said:
will that count reservists too? or do they have to be active?

Yes, reservists can attend, though most units will not spend the money unless it's for a combat arms soldier, mostly 11Bs. And some simply don't have the money. It depends, really. If you're interested, speak to your CO, sometimes it works out they're excited they have a hard-charger and will get you a slot.

sweet, thnk you....Sir?? right?

Not sure how it works over in the Reserve, but in the guard you have to get your unit's approval and attend the ARNG Pre-Ranger course. Its a two week course. Our old S-2 was one of the instructors at the course, and said flat out you pretty much need to be ready to roll when you arrive at the Pre-Ranger course (you are supposed to attend Ranger school within 30 days of passing the Pre-Ranger course). Their primary job is basically to act as a final run through before you head off toRanger school. He also said that if you flunk out or DOR, you are not exact going to be high-speed career track. It costs your unit a LOT of cash to send you to the school and they expect YOU to be ready when you arrive. It also makes your unit look bad when they get a slot, and the guy they send flunks out.

Not only that you have to be mentally strong, physically, and willing to work with someone even if you do hate him! It's long and hard but if your determined enough you'll pull through.

Here's your one stop shop for all things Ranger... www.armyranger.com

READ ALL the stickies before you even think of joining. It is run by Rangers and it is not for amusement purposes. Everything you could think of has been asked so use the search feature or your stay will be short.

You are not unique. You are not special. The questions have all been asked and failure to find the answers that have already been given is not tolerated.

Back