Ranger School

--

March 11th, 2004  
Private Shadow

Topic: Ranger School

I want to be a ranger. How many schools are there?
March 11th, 2004  
Redneck

You mean Ranger School? If so, there is one, it has three phases though: Benning Phase, Mountain Phase, and Florida Phase, and it is based out of Ft. Benning, Georgia.
March 11th, 2004  
Private Shadow

Yeah thats what i meant sry i just got a lot on my mind about this. But im through with it.
--
March 12th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

I'm with you Private Shadow. I really would like to be a Ranger. I'm not sure if I am qualified though... I'll talk to a recruiter about it. PM, maybe we can talk.
March 12th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

What's this, the wannabe Ranger club?

<-- notice sn

Its just a dream for me, not an option. Not yet anyway.
March 12th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Yeah, wanna join?
March 12th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Firstly, Ranger school does not, and will not make you a Ranger. Many people have Ranger tabs, but they aren't Rangers. The only way to become a Ranger is to serve in a Ranger Battalion. If you want to do that:

Go to your recruiter and ask for the Option 40 contract. If you're able to obtain that (don't settle for anything less), you'll be guaranteed Abn (BAC) school and RIP (Ranger Indoctronation Program) after OSUT (Basic and AIT (Infantry) combined into one).

BAC is three weeks long. Hold over is usually a week, but some can go directly after OSUT. If you don't make it through BAC, you'll be kicked over to a leg (non-airborne) unit. 101st, 3ID, 4ID, etc.

RIP is 2.5 - 3 weeks long and it's a gut check. You get one shot to make it to a Ranger Battalion, and this is it. If you're not in the best physical condition of your life .. you won't make it. And if you are, then there is a 20-30% chance you'll make it. If you do pass RIP, you are now a Ranger and you'll be assigned to a Ranger Battalion. Sometimes, if you are very lucky, you'll get to choose 1st, 2d or 3d .. most of the time, you're assigned. If you don't pass, you'll be assigned to 82nd, 173d or maybe even a leg unit like the 101st, etc.

Once in Battalion you'll spend about a year being hazed, harassed and abused while learning everything you can. One: You're a cherry (New guy) and two: you're tabless (Don't have the Rgr tab). After about a year (it's possible to go in 8 mons if you're squared away), and once you've proven yourself .. you will be sent to Ranger School.

Ranger school has three phases.
Beginning Phase at Ft. Benning, Georgia (4th RTB [Ranger Training Battalion])
Mountain Phase at Dahlonega, Georgia (5th RTB)
Florida Phase at Eglin AFB, Florida (6th RTB)

Once you graduate Ranger school, you're sent back to battalion and you're a Tabbed Spec4 (E-4).

Life in batt is hard, you'll spend your entire three/four years proving yourself every day, with or without a Rgr tab, because they can DX you at any time.
March 13th, 2004  
TankDriver

I'm wondering on what i can do to get my body into shape to be a ranger, like what kinda stuff do u guys do. I would like to be able to get my body into shape for the ranger stages and what are the three stages of ranger school
March 13th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
what are the three stages of ranger school
Read the post above, they are already listed. Attention to detail is very important if you're going to attempt serving in a Ranger batt.

As to what you can do to get into shape. Run, run and when you're tired, run some more. Work on push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups. When you're able to run 10 miles fairly easy, go and buy a ruck .. pack it with about 10lbs to start .. ruck a mile. Increase the weight and distance as you progress. Eat right, take care of your feet. Go to google and type in "US NAVY EOD Warning Order" .. they have a good excercise program written out and will help you.
March 25th, 2004  
JurakS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Firstly, Ranger school does not, and will not make you a Ranger. Many people have Ranger tabs, but they aren't Rangers. The only way to become a Ranger is to serve in a Ranger Battalion. If you want to do that:

Go to your recruiter and ask for the Option 40 contract. If you're able to obtain that (don't settle for anything less), you'll be guaranteed Abn (BAC) school and RIP (Ranger Indoctronation Program) after OSUT (Basic and AIT (Infantry) combined into one).

BAC is three weeks long. Hold over is usually a week, but some can go directly after OSUT. If you don't make it through BAC, you'll be kicked over to a leg (non-airborne) unit. 101st, 3ID, 4ID, etc.

RIP is 2.5 - 3 weeks long and it's a gut check. You get one shot to make it to a Ranger Battalion, and this is it. If you're not in the best physical condition of your life .. you won't make it. And if you are, then there is a 20-30% chance you'll make it. If you do pass RIP, you are now a Ranger and you'll be assigned to a Ranger Battalion. Sometimes, if you are very lucky, you'll get to choose 1st, 2d or 3d .. most of the time, you're assigned. If you don't pass, you'll be assigned to 82nd, 173d or maybe even a leg unit like the 101st, etc.

Once in Battalion you'll spend about a year being hazed, harassed and abused while learning everything you can. One: You're a cherry (New guy) and two: you're tabless (Don't have the Rgr tab). After about a year (it's possible to go in 8 mons if you're squared away), and once you've proven yourself .. you will be sent to Ranger School.

Ranger school has three phases.
Beginning Phase at Ft. Benning, Georgia (4th RTB [Ranger Training Battalion])
Mountain Phase at Dahlonega, Georgia (5th RTB)
Florida Phase at Eglin AFB, Florida (6th RTB)

Once you graduate Ranger school, you're sent back to battalion and you're a Tabbed Spec4 (E-4).

Life in batt is hard, you'll spend your entire three/four years proving yourself every day, with or without a Rgr tab, because they can DX you at any time.
hi Rndersafe..i'm new to this site and i recently joined the Army Reserves for 2 yrs now...how do these people just get ranger tabs?? i'm always wondering about that...i want to learn more about the military training and the army's history..very interesting. thanks