Ranger School Req.

Creizai

Just a fast question, I left high school to get my GED and go to a college faster, but decided to put it off because i'm thinking about *trying* to join the rangers next year (I want a full year to train myself i'm very out of shape). Can I still be accepted with a G.E.D, or do i have to go back to high school and finish.

Yes, you can enlist with an 11X Option 40 (Ranger contract) with a GED. However, if you are taking a year to get yourself into shape anyway, my advice to you would be go back to school. You can get your diploma through night courses. It will look better once you're out of the Army and applying to colleges, and added to having served in a Ranger Batt, almost any college will take you.

Start speaking to a recruiter now, you can enlist into the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) and get your contract guaranteed. There are only so many Ranger contracts a month at this time.

Well Sadly I'm working 40 Hours a day (1-9pm) and really barely have any freetime at all. Only thing I do when i get home is Pushups, Situps, and then Jog. Working my way up slowly! Sorry for posting in the wrong forum .. dunno how i missed the right one. Also i'm very glad to hear that i'm able to join.

Can you explain DEP a little bit more (because i want to wait till Next year) Since i'm spending a little more time with my G/F and trying to get more on my feet and train before i enlist.

Well Sadly I'm working 40 Hours a day

Did you mean 40 hours a week? Don't turn that into an excuse, if you do somehow make it into the Ranger Regt. you will be working MUCH more than that, and will STILL find time to PT, I assure you. 8 hours a day is not that bad. You have plenty of time to come home, hit the gym and go for a nice 5 - 10 mile run. A year isn't that long.

i'm spending a little more time with my G/F and trying to get more on my feet and train before i enlist.

Do you want to be a Ranger, or do you want to spend time with your girlfriend? I may seem harsh, but you will fail if you are not 100% commited to your goal in becoming a Ranger.

As for the DEP program, it will allow you to enlist now and get your contract guaranteed, and ship out up to a year later.

It doesn't seem you're 100% commited to this. Take some time, think it through, find out where your heart is .. because if it isn't fully commited to this, you will fail.

RnderSafe said:
Well Sadly I'm working 40 Hours a day

Did you mean 40 hours a week? Don't turn that into an excuse, if you do somehow make it into the Ranger Regt. you will be working MUCH more than that, and will STILL find time to PT, I assure you. 8 hours a day is not that bad. You have plenty of time to come home, hit the gym and go for a nice 5 - 10 mile run. A year isn't that long.

i'm spending a little more time with my G/F and trying to get more on my feet and train before i enlist.

Do you want to be a Ranger, or do you want to spend time with your girlfriend? I may seem harsh, but you will fail if you are not 100% commited to your goal in becoming a Ranger.

As for the DEP program, it will allow you to enlist now and get your contract guaranteed, and ship out up to a year later.

It doesn't seem you're 100% commited to this. Take some time, think it through, find out where your heart is .. because if it isn't fully commited to this, you will fail.

When I'm saying i work 40 hours .. I ment i dont have time to go back to school and Train at the same time and spend the last part of my time with my Family before i ship out. Thats what I ment, When I join there will be nothing else on my mind other than completing my goal of being a Ranger. Also thats one of the reasons why i want to wait a year (to fully tie up lose ends in my life, and double check i am fully commited), but right now I am 100% sure. :rambo:

When I join there will be nothing else on my mind other than completing my goal of being a Ranger.

You're not paying attention, if you WAIT until you join .. it will be too late. If you are only giving yourself a year, you better get on the ball. Even with a year, you will have to push yourself just to make the standards.

This is why I joined the ARNG, so i can do the split option program, go to Basic this summer (I'm a Jr. Right now) and then switch to active as soon as i complete my AIT (and maybe sniper school if i think i can afford it). I'm kinda confused on the subject of becoming a Ranger as well, but based on what i know about it, i'm doing the best i can. The thought of a girlfriend has left my mind long ago. All i do in my free time is
A. Run/Jog/Lift/Pushups/Situps
B. Research the Army and Rangers as much as i can
C. Work on my ghillie suit
D. Do my homework or help my pops with his job.

If you want some info about becoming a Ranger, PM me man. I'll tell you everything i know (which will be less than most people on this forum, but it will be coming from someone remotly more in your shoes.)

I was a split option, that was the biggest mistake I made, It is the HARDEST way to get through the Army's easiest training. Wait til you get back to high school, and you'll see what I mean. Just go Active straight away. About going active right after AIT you have to get a conditional release from your state 6 months after being MOSQed, and depending on manpower situations they do not have to let you go. Just be weary of what the recriuter tells you, they will tell you exactly what you WANT to hear, and not everything that you NEED to hear. Just be careful man. Listen to the older guys they KNOW what they are talking about.

If you want some info about becoming a Ranger, PM me man. I'll tell you everything i know (which will be less than most people on this forum, but it will be coming from someone remotly more in your shoes.)

If you have questions about becoming a Ranger or the Ranger Regt. I'll be happy to answer them. Just make sure they are well thought out questions, and the answers haven't already been covered on this board. And be careful not to put out any misinformation out there, kids are signing away three, four, and sometimes six years of their lives away. They need the best and most correct information out there.

About going active right after AIT you have to get a conditional release from your state 6 months after being MOSQed, and depending on manpower situations they do not have to let you go.

Know of a lot of lads that got screwed on this, because their recruiters didn't give them this little bit of info.

Hey glad to see you want to go to the 75th; I will say this though: If you are not 100% dedicated to this, you WILL fail. I don't want to sound like an insensitive prick, but that's just how it is. Ranger school is very tough, I don't know anyone who hasn't recycled ever while going through the phases. You have to put all you have into it, or you won't make it.

Ranger school is very tough, I don't know anyone who hasn't recycled ever while going through the phases. You have to put all you have into it, or you won't make it.

Okay, after looking at the thread topic and seeing Ckim's post, perhaps I should explain what I've explained countless other times on this board.

There is no reason for anyone that is about to enlist under an 11X Option 40 contract to worry about Ranger school. The focus (45m target) needs to be BCT. Then BAC. THEN RIP. And after RIP, you better focus on staying IN the Regiment.

Rangers will NOT go to Ranger school until around a year in Regt. There is no reason to worry about the requirments or preparing for Ranger school until you are IN the Regt. Remember, Ranger school does not make you a Ranger .. only serving in the 75th Regt. will.

RnderSafe said:
Ranger school is very tough, I don't know anyone who hasn't recycled ever while going through the phases. You have to put all you have into it, or you won't make it.

Okay, after looking at the thread topic and seeing Ckim's post, perhaps I should explain what I've explained countless other times on this board.

There is no reason for anyone that is about to enlist under an 11X Option 40 contract to worry about Ranger school. The focus (45m target) needs to be BCT. Then BAC. THEN RIP. And after RIP, you better focus on staying IN the Regiment.

Rangers will NOT go to Ranger school until around a year in Regt. There is no reason to worry about the requirments or preparing for Ranger school until you are IN the Regt. Remember, Ranger school does not make you a Ranger .. only serving in the 75th Regt. will.

Well I'm about to go newb on you all ... but tell me what all the these mean
BCT, BAC, RIP.

BCT = Basic Combat training ( The first training you will ever attend)
AIT = Advanced indivisual training (Job training)
BAC = Um... can't remember what it stands for... Basic Airborne Combat? Anyway, it's airborne training.
RIP = Ranger Indoctrination Program (Ranger training)

TheSunsetSniper said:
BCT = Basic Combat training ( The first training you will ever attend)
AIT = Advanced indivisual training (Job training)
BAC = Um... can't remember what it stands for... Basic Airborne Combat? Anyway, it's airborne training.
RIP = Ranger Indoctrination Program (Ranger training)

duh ... i'm stupid :roll:

Can someone please go a little more in depth for AIT? I dont understand it very much.

Its the training for your specific job. Like if your MOS was a tank mechanic, you would go to tank mechanic school. IF your MOS is a medic, you go to medic school.

AIT follows Basic Training, and is where you receive your MOS training, as FutureRANGER said. It varies in length (certain language schools can last up to three years, I've heard), and upon completion you will join your unit. Only enlisted go through AIT, the officer equivalent is OBC (AOBC for instance is at Ft. Knox, KY and is the Armor Officer Basic Course).

Back