Rafale still trying hard

rock45

Found this little article about France trying hard to get the Rafale sold and is now trying in Kuwait. Kuwait has a nice bunch of Hornets that are just getting on the older side and was wondering if anybody thinks they have a chance?
France to sell military jets, weapons to Kuwait

The Associated Press Wednesday, February 11, 2009
KUWAIT CITY: France is in discussions to sell combat jets, frigates and an anti-missile defense system to Kuwait, the French president said Wednesday, the latest effort to raise his country's profile in the Middle East.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the two countries would also consider updating their defense pact and cementing "a strategic partnership," during his brief visit to the oil-rich Gulf state.
"Defense ministers are in deep discussions," and will try to reach agreement on the weapons deal by the end of the year, Sarkozy told reporters in Kuwait City.
He said Kuwait was considering buying up to 28 Rafale jets, multi-role combat aircraft made by Dassault Aviation in France. He provided no information about the cost of the jets or any of the other weapons.
France signed a defense pact with Kuwait after the 1991 Gulf War; France was a member of the international coalition that freed Kuwait from a seven-month Iraqi occupation.
Kuwait is still rebuilding its military, which was devastated by the Iraqi invasion.
Sarkozy said France also would open a military base with air force and navy capabilities in the neighboring United Arab Emirates in April "to help (maintain) stability in the area."
The French base in Abu Dhabi would be one of only a few run by Western powers, including the United States, in the oil-rich region, and would allow French defense contractors to showcase their hardware.
Kuwait is a major U.S. ally and is host to a large American military base.

Link
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/11/news/ML-Kuwait-France-Weapons.php

I doubt that there will be a deal for Rafale with Kuwait given that Kuwait right now got other worries as a political powerstruggle within the emirate make any decisionmaking almost impossible, at least until the Emir finally have had enough and dissolves the parliament and rules by decree, something that happens now and then.

As for Rafale I feel that their best bet is UAE that apart from their 80 Block 60 F-16s got around 60 Mirage 2000-9 that will need to be replaced eventually.
It is also significant that UAE have a tendency to not rely on a single source of weaponry meaning that deals with USA and France tend to be rather even.

Kuwait

Hi Bimcnorth
Thanks for posting

I don't know anything about the political situation in Kuwait to be honest. I do have some questions about Kuwait's Air Force not sure if you know the answers. A poster in a different forum mentioned that Pakistan personnel maintain Kuwait's Air Force. I didn't know that Pakistan personnel maintain US made Hornets, they don't fly that type. I couldn't find any source saying Pakistan personnel received Hornet training anywhere so I questioned that claim. He couldn't provide a link to support his claim. He made some other comments about Kuwait's and the Saudi's maintenance units but I took them with a grain of salt, he did mentioned he was from Pakistan. Lets say I pick up "I'm better" tone in his words petty quickly.

If you can shed some light on this Kuwait's aircraft maintenance or know if Kuwait's Air Force is even looking for new fighters, thanks in advance.
icon14.gif

Hi rock

Well, it´s not my area really but I think DynCorp might object to that claim..:mrgreen:

Kuwait Air Force F/A-18

DynCorp International is the prime contractor and provides Contractor Maintenance Services (CMS) and Contractor Engineering Technical Services (CETS) to the Kuwait Air Force (KAF). Services include organizational and intermediate-level aviation maintenance support for F/A- 18 aircraft.

http://www.dyncorprecruiting.com/ext/progs.asp

Edit..We might say that the political and financial movers and shakers in the gulf are very much my area. That involves a lot of military talks as well..this is the Gulf after all!

Last edited:
I doubt that there will be a deal for Rafale with Kuwait given that Kuwait right now got other worries as a political powerstruggle within the emirate make any decisionmaking almost impossible, at least until the Emir finally have had enough and dissolves the parliament and rules by decree, something that happens now and then.

As for Rafale I feel that their best bet is UAE that apart from their 80 Block 60 F-16s got around 60 Mirage 2000-9 that will need to be replaced eventually.
It is also significant that UAE have a tendency to not rely on a single source of weaponry meaning that deals with USA and France tend to be rather even.

As predicted by yours truly and every intelligence agency in the gulf, the Emir of Kuwait just dissolved the parliament so maybe they can start make some decisions soon in regards to new fighters.

I might add that the GCC is pushing Kuwait to pull their weight when it comes to the military buildup so they will have to do something soon.
Kuwait still is a rather mediocre nation when it comes to national defence and the Saudis and UAE will not accept that they alone are the big spenders..

Saw an article in Defence News that made me jump..

Not that Libya is ready to order some Rafale but the fact that Dassault is looking for buyers to the 60 Mirage 2000-9 that UAE intends to replace with Rafale..:?

Either that deal was agreed in the most low-key manner possible or someone is taking a lot for granted.
That said everyone expects UAE to replace the Mirage 2000-9 within the next five years and Rafale is the logical choice.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3997328&c=EUR&s=AIR

Doubtful.

Kuwait is deeply indebted to the US Defense Industry, I just don't see them switching to the competition anytime soon. It be like BOEING trying to sell jets to Air France and Lufthansa.

Doubtful.

Kuwait is deeply indebted to the US Defense Industry, I just don't see them switching to the competition anytime soon. It be like BOEING trying to sell jets to Air France and Lufthansa.

The GCC countries have a policy of using at least two major suppliers to their defence forces so it would be more of a compliment in my view.

Back