RAF pilot completes mission after being shot in the face

42RM

Banned
RAF pilot completes mission after being shot in the face

A TV crew doing a show on the weapons and vehicles of war in Afghanistan happen to be aboard an RAF Chinook helicopter when it is called out to evacuate some US and Afghan Army casualties from a firefight.

The aircraft comes under fire during the evacuation, and a round goes through the windshield, wounding pilot Flight Lieutenant Ian "Chomper" Fortune in the face. He maintains his composure and completes his mission by returning the damaged aircraft, crew and casualties safely back to base.

For this amazing feat he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
:cheers:

I saw that on TV. Mike Brewer the TV bloke was on board at the time, the look on his face was "Oh bugger," he looked extremely nervous, mind you so would I be. If I remember correctly, sadly one of the casualties died en-route.

After the aircraft landed she lost all her hydraulics . As far as I am aware she was one of the Chinook's that served in the Falklands War.

The pilot deserved his DFC.

Last edited:
Sometime later Mike Brewer spoke to the pilot, who was extremely blaze about it all as if it were an everyday event. If that were me I'd be whimpering about it for months.

These crews are fantastic. I remember an episode where we were picked up under fire, and after we got in the air and out of reach of small arms fire, the pilot wished us welcome on board and announced that dinner would be served in five minutes. Then they served us tea and cucumber sandwiches.

We were speechless - but grateful.
Just the fact that they choose to do such a small thing for us, gave me a tremendous respect for these crews.

These crews are fantastic. I remember an episode where we were picked up under fire, and after we got in the air and out of reach of small arms fire, the pilot wished us welcome on board and announced that dinner would be served in five minutes. Then they served us tea and cucumber sandwiches.

We were speechless - but grateful.
Just the fact that they choose to do such a small thing for us, gave me a tremendous respect for these crews.

That's the RAF for you, very thoughtful chaps.:p

I remember being air trooped across Africa in a Hastings and during the flight the door to the pilots section was only on the catch and during the flight the pilot raised the nose of the aircraft a bit the door of the pilots cabin swung and a whole load of Gin and whisky bottles went rolling down the isle, the look on some of the passengers faces was a real treat

I remember being air trooped across Africa in a Hastings and during the flight the door to the pilots section was only on the catch and during the flight the pilot raised the nose of the aircraft a bit the door of the pilots cabin swung and a whole load of Gin and whisky bottles went rolling down the isle, the look on some of the passengers faces was a real treat

It's a RAF tradition to "rattle" pongo's.:p

Back